IGNORED

Duke Nukem Forever LIVES

Joyrex

extremely disappointing? compared to what?

have you played it?

Although I understand the stereotypical don't ask don't tell policy, it wouldn't hurt to give some extra insight into why you think the ending is extremely disappointing.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you played it?

Although I understand the stereotypical don't ask don't tell policy, it wouldn't hurt to give some extra insight into why you think the ending is extremely disappointing.

you kill the final boss

then a short cutscene of what appears to be a surveillance satellite feed showing Duke Nukem K.I.A, with Duke saying something along the lines of "i'm not dead"

then 10 minutes of credits

then a short scene showing Duke Nukem proclaiming to a press conference that he is going to run for president.

pretty disappointing.

My only question : are there laser trip mines and shrink rays?

lol, yes.. duke nukem 3d multi-player was a helluva lot of fun for awhile.

haha that's the only question i had

DNF multiplayer is fun :)

also one thing to note: all the reviews for this game seem to be of the console version, which compared to the PC version is really bad.

but then again, if you're an old school Duke Nukem fan, you're more likely to be playing this on PC anyways.

have you played it?

you kill the final boss

then a short cutscene of what appears to be a surveillance satellite feed showing Duke Nukem K.I.A, with Duke saying something along the lines of "i'm not dead"

then a short scene showing Duke Nukem proclaiming to a press conference that he is going to run for president.

pretty disappointing.

sorry, i meant compared to what as in i had low expectations. The whole thing feels like an extremely well done fan made game that is constantly pointing out things that made the first one great. Loading screens are ridiculous. I do think its cool the game looks pretty damn good on my 8600m gt nvidia card which is pretty dated.

What are reviewers mostly complaining about?

(can't access most gaming sites from work)

Snippets from Eurogamer review:

The visuals that jump out at you first. This is an ugly game, committing practically every graphical sin imaginable. Textures are crude and blurry when they bother to load in at all. Jagged edges turn every diagonal into ziggurat steps while the frame rate chugs up and down. Lumpen and stuttering, Forever does not look like a game that has benefited from millions of hours of development time.

It's the gameplay that's important, of course, but beneath the glitchy surface things aren't much better. Aiming is jerky and imprecise, even after tinkering with the sensitivity. Movement is heavy and sticky, frequently leaving you snagged on scenery or bumping up against invisible walls. Both jumping and running feel sluggish, with Duke's grunts suggesting that he probably should have put some more gym time in before his big comeback.

Level design isn't much better, with few of the locations inspiring the sort of exploration and excitement that made Duke 3D such a memorable experience. Duke Nukem Forever is linear to a fault, and huge chunks of the game are spent simply walking from one fight to another through uninspired corridors.

Most alarmingly, all the weapons are repeated from 1996, and there are no new enemy types either. While old favourites like the shrink ray and the devastator are still satisfying to use, it beggars belief that of all the hundreds of people involved in this game over the years, nobody could come up with a single idea for a new gun or enemy.

As for Duke's offensiveness, it's barely even worth considering. He's more Jeremy Clarkson than Frankie Boyle, so toothless and desperate in his attempts to seem risqué and reactionary that the only sane response is to roll your eyes. This is far more coarse than Duke 3D ever was, the humour uniformly witless, a parade of blunt profanity, childish poo and wee jokes and obvious innuendo that makes it feel more of a piece with Duke ripoffs like Redneck Rampage and Postal 2: similarly weak games which failed to mask their lack of polish and ideas under a stained duvet of juvenile outrage.

Yeah seems like that reviewer was more obsessed with the concept of how long it took to make and believes that people were working on it nonstop the entire time. Game is running an Unreal 2 engine, how amazing could it look?

Honestly I'll have to get my hands on it, but those things don't seem like things that would bug me. The aiming sensitivity might, no mention of auto-aim for console versions.

I'm crossing my fingers that they remade the first (movie theatre) level from DK2. I spent so much time in there doing deathmath, I still remember how you can scale the ledge of the buildings, and go into that secret room, where behind a movie poster was a weapon.

have you played it?

you kill the final boss

pretty disappointing.

sorry, i meant compared to what as in i had low expectations. The whole thing feels like an extremely well done fan made game that is constantly pointing out things that made the first one great. Loading screens are ridiculous. I do think its cool the game looks pretty damn good on my 8600m gt nvidia card which is pretty dated.

loading screens ridiculous? they last maybe 15 seconds max for me, although my machine specs sound like they outdo yours (from what you're saying about your graphics card).

I'm crossing my fingers that they remade the first (movie theatre) level from DK2. I spent so much time in there doing deathmath, I still remember how you can scale the ledge of the buildings, and go into that secret room, where behind a movie poster was a weapon.

i think you mean Duke Nukem 3D (not Duke Nukem 2, which was a platformer)...and yes, the Hollywood movie theatre level is there but only in multiplayer. it's still my favourite map to play deathmatch on

Snippets from Eurogamer review:

The visuals that jump out at you first. This is an ugly game, committing practically every graphical sin imaginable. Textures are crude and blurry when they bother to load in at all. Jagged edges turn every diagonal into ziggurat steps while the frame rate chugs up and down. Lumpen and stuttering, Forever does not look like a game that has benefited from millions of hours of development time.

It's the gameplay that's important, of course, but beneath the glitchy surface things aren't much better. Aiming is jerky and imprecise, even after tinkering with the sensitivity. Movement is heavy and sticky, frequently leaving you snagged on scenery or bumping up against invisible walls. Both jumping and running feel sluggish, with Duke's grunts suggesting that he probably should have put some more gym time in before his big comeback.

Level design isn't much better, with few of the locations inspiring the sort of exploration and excitement that made Duke 3D such a memorable experience. Duke Nukem Forever is linear to a fault, and huge chunks of the game are spent simply walking from one fight to another through uninspired corridors.

Most alarmingly, all the weapons are repeated from 1996, and there are no new enemy types either. While old favourites like the shrink ray and the devastator are still satisfying to use, it beggars belief that of all the hundreds of people involved in this game over the years, nobody could come up with a single idea for a new gun or enemy.

As for Duke's offensiveness, it's barely even worth considering. He's more Jeremy Clarkson than Frankie Boyle, so toothless and desperate in his attempts to seem risqué and reactionary that the only sane response is to roll your eyes. This is far more coarse than Duke 3D ever was, the humour uniformly witless, a parade of blunt profanity, childish poo and wee jokes and obvious innuendo that makes it feel more of a piece with Duke ripoffs like Redneck Rampage and Postal 2: similarly weak games which failed to mask their lack of polish and ideas under a stained duvet of juvenile outrage.

wow, looks like the reviewer not only reviewed an inferior edition of the game (and before anyone kicks off about console vs PC, it's already been confirmed that the PC version runs better, and looks better), but the reviewer can't even let their automatic hatred down to even check their facts - there is at least one new weapon, and an upgrade to an existing weapon.

I still wonder what took them so long. Is that kind of visible in the final game?

of course not, the game development was restarted several times over the years because George Broussard couldn't make his mind up.

the game underwent multiple changes in the choice of game engine (we know of at least 3 major engine changes).

although, looking at the 2006 footage, it's pretty obvious that 3D Realms had the basics of the game engine down, and were pretty much just fucking around between then and 2009 when 3D Realms closed down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMzeXfS2HY

so basically, the game we're playing here in 2011 is a game that in all honesty, could probably have been finished in 2008 if they'd have gotten their finger out of their arses.

Wasn't Rise of the triad like the first game that had 3d objects you could walk on above the player (using the same Build engine as Duke 3d)

Yea, I also played it a bit...

Wasn't Rise of the triad like the first game that had 3d objects you could walk on above the player (using the same Build engine as Duke 3d)

Yea, I also played it a bit...

apparently the Rise of the Triad engine was a heavily modified Wolfenstein 3D engine, which makes sense since Rise of the Triad was originally conceived as Wolfenstein 3D Part 2

810810-12_super.jpg

"Nearly finished, honest"

810799-1_super.jpg

"Just putting the finishing touches on it now"

810826-7_large.jpg

"Burning it onto CD right this second"

duke_forpano--screenshot_large.jpg

"Just putting the shrinkwrapping on the box, hold on"

Actually, that's got me thinking... are there any younger WATMM users one here who weren't even born when Duke Nukem Forever was first conceived ?

Rise of the triad had some wicked weapons if i remember correctly. that game DID kick ass. i had completely forgotten about it wow.

That game had cluster homing missile's ... totally imba in death match, I learnt their location in almost every map.

God mode yawning was great also.

Guest viscosity

^^^ actually recently got that on my psp, someone ported it. right now playing through Heretic, which is basically Doom, medieval style

Rise of the triad had some wicked weapons if i remember correctly. that game DID kick ass. i had completely forgotten about it wow.

That game had cluster homing missile's ... totally imba in death match, I learnt their location in almost every map.

God mode yawning was great also.

it had the best music too. HUGE inspiration on my pselodux stuff.

edit: actually pretty much every 90s FPS had amazing music. someone needs to bring back the days of looped midi/tracker music, instead of all this incidental/dramatic bullshit.

810810-12_super.jpg

"Nearly finished, honest"

810799-1_super.jpg

"Just putting the finishing touches on it now"

810826-7_large.jpg

"Burning it onto CD right this second"

duke_forpano--screenshot_large.jpg

"Just putting the shrinkwrapping on the box, hold on"

Actually, that's got me thinking... are there any younger WATMM users one here who weren't even born when Duke Nukem Forever was first conceived ?

drukqs?

Anyway...

Hahahahahaha!

Archived