IGNORED

the luke vibert sample spotting thread

solarion

According to Whosampled it's actually a Prince song, right at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxRRt8HJdro

However, I am skeptical of this (because that seems weirdly out of place) and would not be surprised if Prince himself had made a brief sample of a computer game right on the forefront of digital sampling.

Guest glittablitz

Righto chaps! I've often stumbled across this thread in trying to find other samples from our Luke, but this one has me enamoured and I need to know what it is. It's from the first few bars, the music sampled.

Plug - Yes Man from the "new" album Back On Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWpJl7RtxI

Any takers?! I'd be forever grateful!

You're not alone in that one, Glitta; that's one I'd really like to know. But it does have something of an esoteric sound to it, and doesn't tie itself to a genre overtly. I'd say it sounds like a prog extract, personally. But I'll watch out in my digging.

Actually, now that I can't edit and I've thought about it, I'd say the most likely candidate is some sort of Moog Easy Listening album, with the combination of synthesizer and strings they've got going there (if the bass synth hasn't been added by Vibert, which I'm assuming it hasn't from the way it acts when it's highpassed). Those I'm less familiar with, but somebody else might be able to bring it in.

The rap in Acid 2000 is from Indeep's Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GtfZbj4J71A#t=192s

Any idea where that intro and bridge thing is from?

"can you imagine where you will be in the year 2000."

Sorry, no idea. Sounds a bit like some TV show for kids though?

Guest glittablitz

Actually, now that I can't edit and I've thought about it, I'd say the most likely candidate is some sort of Moog Easy Listening album, with the combination of synthesizer and strings they've got going there (if the bass synth hasn't been added by Vibert, which I'm assuming it hasn't from the way it acts when it's highpassed). Those I'm less familiar with, but somebody else might be able to bring it in.

Good call, I feel my life will probably be complete once I have this track in my library.

Guest texan whip

This is the Vibert tune that uses the Klaus Wunderlich sample I posted above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEwmn8ME3Q

Okay, I have a request, what is that sound at :20 - :25? it sounds very familiar, but I cannot place it.

yeah it is familiar, I think it's from a mid 80's video game, not sure which one, though.

I think that sound effect is also used in Aphex Twin's Pitcard. I'm pretty sure it's taken from the 80's kids TV show Chocky - when the alien communicates with humans.

This is the Vibert tune that uses the Klaus Wunderlich sample I posted above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEwmn8ME3Q

Okay, I have a request, what is that sound at :20 - :25? it sounds very familiar, but I cannot place it.

yeah it is familiar, I think it's from a mid 80's video game, not sure which one, though.

I think that sound effect is also used in Aphex Twin's Pitcard. I'm pretty sure it's taken from the 80's kids TV show Chocky - when the alien communicates with humans.

excellent call. I don't feel like fishing through the series to find it but there's no question you can hear it under the music in the intro here:

It's probably done cleaner at some point. I'm not sure if that's the exact same thing in Pitcard, though; I think Aphex might've had a go at synthesizing it after hearing Luke's stuff.

Guest texan whip

I had to listen very hard to hear it in the intro - but it is there (just about). There's hours of Chocky footage and I am sure it's the same sound effect. I can't be bothered trawling through the Youtube videos to find a clear example. I am also sure it's used in Pitcard. There's no doubt in my mind that Luke sampled it (I think that maybe Richard tried to reproduce it for Pitcard - he probably owns the same synths John Hyde used). Both Luke and Richard would have grown up watching Chocky (as I did) and it's no surprise the weird alien synths in the series influenced them. The show used to scare the crap out of me at times.

I had to listen very hard to hear it in the intro - but it is there (just about). There's hours of Chocky footage and I am sure it's the same sound effect. I can't be bothered trawling through the Youtube videos to find a clear example. I am also sure it's used in Pitcard. There's no doubt in my mind that Luke sampled it (I think that maybe Richard tried to reproduce it for Pitcard - he probably owns the same synths John Hyde used). Both Luke and Richard would have grown up watching Chocky (as I did) and it's no surprise the weird alien synths in the series influenced them. The show used to scare the crap out of me at times.

didn't I basically just say all this? you can hear it at 0:11 underneath the scream in the intro video I linked. And yes, it's definitely in pitcard too.

anyone know where he got that chill melody in Registrarse?

as posted earlier, is this it? If you're referring to the guitar I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KCQUeGJ4Go

~0:46 was used in 'Registrarse' from 'Rhythm' and in 'Sentimental Hardcore' from 'Toomorrow'

Edited by solarion

Doing a little googling: "smoke a joint, burn a little grass"

The intro also has the hats from Tomorrow Acid, I believe.

Amazing! For some reason I always thought it was John Wayne saying that line :D

Edited by manero

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple from Plug; first two from Delicious.

Right at the end - "What am I saying I'm not even Chinese"

Somewhere in the middle - "That was delicious"

At 0:14 - The baritone ghost from Me and Mr Jones

• 2 weeks later...

this is probs pretty obvious to most people but where is the "fucking excellent acid house" sample from.

I think it's also used in chemical beats from exit planet dust too.