IGNORED

Android apps thread

chassis

Guest Franklin

apps that I have and LOVE

Astrid to-do manager

Dolphin browser (interweb) - has some cool shortcuts like drawing an "N" on the screen opens a new tab.

google voice (good for making voicemail texts)

google maps

(waiting for swype) - I've used this quite a bit as a demo

mini-info (widget that displays battery % and drive space)

Vlingo voice - wicked voice tool. press a button and then either create a text or message or email, OR search google OR open an app. basically it's awesome.

woohoo! i was just thinking about making a similar thread! i'm app crazy..

I've posted a bunch of music-making apps in the Uloops thread. Get rjdjdroid!

I'm just gonna list the ones that have been with me for a while, i've downloaded and deleted lots of unworthy apps:

Games: I'm addicted to Angry Birds (Beta), Lettered (like a crossword tetris), Soccer Superstars, Abduction 2, Angel Piano.

Music: Tune In Radio, last.fm, Google Listen (for podcasts).

Music Making: Tanpura Droid (cool droney sitar), musical bubbles, micdroid, Jasuto (f'n hard to use), ethereal dialpad, xpiano.

Fun: Line Draw, vignette (essential), pixelmappaint, automata (nikfarjam), asciicamera, xlr8r's city guide, fotmob soccer scores, Hoptopia, epicurious (even though it's buggy as hell), Goby, New Scientist, Movies app, google sky map.

Tools: memory booster, key ring, mint.com app, photoshop express, where's my droid, wifi analyzer, dimmer (for night reading), appbrain app market.

hope that helps!

these are all free:

yelp (restaurant reviews)

audible (audiobooks. you need an account on audible.com, though)

connectbot (if you know what SSH is)

shazam (records from the mic and tells you what song it hears)

datewidget (by weaverfish design)

battery widget (by geekyouup)

imgur uploader (free image hosting, great for posting pictures from remote locations)

gmail unread count (works with multiple accounts)

save my attach (install this if you want to be able to save attachments, like mp3s, from gmail)

astro file manager (useful)

the only thing i've paid for is robo defense, which is a pretty addictive game.

also: task killer bad.

Thanks! I just installed Laucher Pro +. I had been looking for a Messaging Widget and also I like how it can flip the home screen into landscape mode, as Vibrants' stock home app doesn't do that. Pretty neat.

Other new apps I found today:

Etherophone - Similar to ethereal dialpad but has a little bit more control over the synths.

Kaleidocam - Cool Kaleidoscope camera, but doesn't export the images yet; so hopefully they'll at least offer that on a paid version soon.

Nova - Cool FPS game from Gameloft. Reminds me of Unreal..

• 2 weeks later...

oh.. I thought it was cool that you could use whatever photo/font for the shortcuts.

anyway, other apps I've found lately are:

Extended Controls - Looks exactly like the stock Power Widget; but you can add widgets to turn other functions on/off. Pretty neat.

Miniseq - another one of those tenori-on looking apps, probably the best one so far though.

Guest Ominous

Google's App Market works through an app, I'm not sure if it'll work if you download the .apk file and install it because it usually comes preloaded and it's very specific in showing you only the apps that are supposed to work for your phone. It's called vending.apk, there are some download links if you google it. There are some alternative markets though that work through your browser: slideme.org, mobango.com, and andappstore.com

i've just installed iDroid (android fr iphone). Where is google's appstore so that i can get blindtype ? thanks.

Blindtype isn't available for Android yet my dear, apparently Google have just purchased the company though so no doubt it will soon...

I must be being dumb with Skype. I just installed it and clicked 'create new account' and when the end user agreement comes up I click 'accept' but that just takes me back to the first screen again. I might just set up my account on my 'puter first...

yeah, the market app is not bundled with iDroid, you have to do a hack of some kind, but really i don't care, i'm tired of fiddling with, i'll just start developping.

i've just installed iDroid (android fr iphone). Where is google's appstore so that i can get blindtype ? thanks.

Blindtype isn't available for Android yet my dear, apparently Google have just purchased the company though so no doubt it will soon...

I must be being dumb with Skype. I just installed it and clicked 'create new account' and when the end user agreement comes up I click 'accept' but that just takes me back to the first screen again. I might just set up my account on my 'puter first...

skype doesnt work with every android device yet, especially Galaxy S/Vibrant etc. I´ve also heard Nexus one users are having problems.

It looks like the whole log in system is fucked on the Android version of Skype at the mo (I'm using an HTC Desire which is apparently compatible). Looks like almost everyone is having troubles signing in and creating accounts so I'll wait until tomorrow before I give it a go I think....

yeah, there are issues with Skype for android, as you'll see in the comments on the market.

for me, i could log in, but it would fuck around with my gmail syncing. very not good

it has been uninstalled until they can get their fucking act together

• 3 weeks later...

Archived