IGNORED

'so what sort of music do you like?'

Guest dilbthelame

Guest dilbthelame

recently i've got asked this a lot...

so yeah, you're talking to someone, you quite like them, then after a few seconds' lull the inevitable question.... 'so what kind of music do you like?'

when i lived in england i'd usually just bite the nerd bullet and go with 'well i'm quite into post rock, idm, leftfield hip hop' or whatever.... but i've moved to china where the definition of 'cutting edge' is lady gaga, so my answer's started to cut down to 'um i like rock music and i like hip hop and electro too' (i had a hell of a time explaining that i make instrumental music to someone just recently, she didn't understand the concept of 'but the words get in the way of the music' as she apparently lives for karaoke)

so just curious, what do y'all generally answer? do you tailor it according to where you are / who you're talking to? and (if talking to a potential squeeze) do you go for the "trying to impress you with my awesome taste" approach, or the "trying not to freak you out with my weird taste" ?

:cerious:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll usually try to gauge what it is that they'd be interested in and then feign some level of superficial interest, if I must. I don't generally say things to people that they can't understand.

There is a "Music Discussion" forum, you know.

I like various types of electronic and various types of rock, mostly.

so just curious, what do y'all generally answer? do you tailor it according to where you are / who you're talking to? and (if talking to a potential squeeze) do you go for the "trying to impress you with my awesome taste" approach, or the "trying not to freak you out with my weird taste" ?

This.

i say i like everything, because i typically do like at least a couple bands, performers or composers from any given genre... (although just in different doses). in fact the only exceptions to this rule on the entire planet that i have found so far are perhaps r&b, adult contemporary, and k-pop

i say i like everything, because i typically do like at least a couple bands, performers or composers from any given genre... (although just in different doses). in fact the only exceptions to this rule on the entire planet that i have found so far are perhaps r&b, adult contemporary, and k-pop

worst thing to say...

also, if after saying i like techno or instrumental and the person shows actual interest i'll explain more

Guest AcrossCanyons

I'll usually say something along the lines of "it's a bit difficult to explain really, i like alot"

from experience people who say "i like everything really" mean they like everything played on the radio :cisfor:

Guest dilbthelame

worst thing to say...

yeah i got caught out with this one by my piano teacher on my first lesson with him, i said 'oh well i listen to everything really' and he said 'oh so what do you think on palestrina?' or something i'd blatantly never heard of.

and also several girls who've said this i follow it up with 'so do you like autechre?' -> blank look. turns out to most of them 'all kinds of music' means 'all kinds of music that is played on daytime radio

worst thing to say...

yeah i got caught out with this one by my piano teacher on my first lesson with him, i said 'oh well i listen to everything really' and he said 'oh so what do you think on palestrina?' or something i'd blatantly never heard of.

and also several girls who've said this i follow it up with 'so do you like autechre?' -> blank look. turns out to most of them 'all kinds of music' means 'all kinds of music that is played on daytime radio

yepp

Guest dilbthelame

I'll usually say something along the lines of "it's a bit difficult to explain really, i like alot"

from experience people who say "i like everything really" mean they like everything played on the radio :cisfor:

ha just saw this after i posted. oops.

I tailor my answer depending on who's asking. It's nice to have common ground with people. plus, once you both agree on a few bands, it's easier to branch out and make other recommendations to each other.

there is no right answer to this. looking at it from another's point of view, are you really familiar with everything? if i ask someone have they heard of tim hecker, and they give me a blank stare, this indicates nothing about them other than that they haven't heard of tim hecker. in the same way that i know nothing about metal. there are millions of artists. it's not a gauge on someone's worth as a person, or even the meaning behind the statement "i like everything". i usually just say "i listen to a lot of music" and then try and see what specific things the other person is interested. ultimately, it's a meaningless conversation, like discussing favorite colors. has nothing to do with getting along with someone.

Archived