IGNORED

'so what sort of music do you like?'

Guest dilbthelame

this incredibly hot new girl at work asked me this question...i just said hardcore, thinking that would be a far more straight ahead answer. turns out it is not. i probably should have just said techno.

lol.. hardcore?? do you listen to much hardcore?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

like hardcore punk? that's what i think of when people say that. you're not a 19 year old scene girl, are you sr4?

like hardcore punk? that's what i think of when people say that. you're not a 19 year old scene girl, are you sr4?

nah, more like Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, that sorta stuff. Im more of a 20 something scene girl. But when I said it she immediately responded with, "Oh, like Sum 41?"

which blew my mind and fucked my whole world up.

If i want to be friendly i say "i like all sorts of music"

If i'm in a bad mood or i hate the person and want to get rid of them i say "I don't like music, i only listen to talk radio"

If i want to be friendly i say "i like all sorts of music"

If i'm in a bad mood or i hate the person and want to get rid of them i say "I don't like music, i only listen to talk radio"

lol

And then they judge you, "what kind of person does't like music" they think to themselves. Saying you don't like music is like saying you hate dogs, the general public will judge you and think you are a creep.

nah, more like Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, that sorta stuff. Im more of a 20 something scene girl. But when I said it she immediately responded with, "Oh, like Sum 41?"

which blew my mind and fucked my whole world up.

btw i thought you meant hardcore as in hardcore techno

Guest sljiva

This fucking question is an inheritance of the past and should be banned these days. Nothing good can come out of it, only discomfort. It made sense when everybody had no choice but listen to Nirvana or Guns N' Roses, or when you could actually impress a girl when you said something like The Prodigy - because pretty much everybody was aware of them, yet they seemed crazy cool and kinda out there compared to Spice Girls or whatever shit was popular at the time.

These days music is too fragmented and personal for such questions. You're not impressing anyone with list of bands you and two other WATMMers listen to and discuss, and shit like "everything/electronic music/good music" ("good music" is especially cringeworthy pretentious answer) leaves a sense of incompleteness in both your and their ears and you feel like asshole afterwards either way. On one hand you want to tell the world you listen to some next level shit because you spend so much money, time and energy on this thing, but you can only end up looking like a weird asshole listening to weird shit she never heard of or hopefully just misunderstood. There's no way to win.

And then they judge you, "what kind of person does't like music" they think to themselves. Saying you don't like music is like saying you hate dogs, the general public will judge you and think you are a creep.

Overheard in a coffee shop in Seoul one day, on the radio is a Miles Davis tune, I think it was All Blues, but not sure. Definitely something off "Kind of Blue".

Barista #1 (a cute 20ish girl): "Oh this is kind of weird music."

Barista #2 (another cute 20ish girl): "OH I don't like it."

Barista #1: "Why not?"

Barista #2: "Oh I just can't stand any music without vocals in it. It creeps me out."

Me: :facepalm:

Guest Sprigg

Barista #2: "Oh I just can't stand any music without vocals in it. It creeps me out."

Me: :facepalm:

Why are vocals synonymous with 'music' for so many people? And why is non-classical music without vocals (be it electronic, metal or whatever) viewed with such disdain? Many people I've bumped into even go so far as to claim that a piece isn't music if it doesn't have either vocals or a strong rhythm section... I don't get it.

Guest zaphod

in the car with a girl i don't know too well. put on gantz graf. this is the test. she looks at me and says there's something wrong with my car. i say no, this is music. i tell her the story of idm. i look over and realize that she isn't in the car anymore, my passenger side door is open. they find the body, unrecognizable after rolling from a vehicle off an overpass and into traffic fifty feet below. her broken arms are raised, hands plugging her ears.

i don't know how many have died this way, i just want it to end.

in the car with a girl i don't know too well. put on gantz graf. this is the test. she looks at me and says there's something wrong with my car. i say no, this is music. i tell her the story of idm. i look over and realize that she isn't in the car anymore, my passenger side door is open. they find the body, unrecognizable after rolling from a vehicle off an overpass and into traffic fifty feet below. her broken arms are raised, hands plugging her ears.

lol

I was going to make a well thought out response to this topic and then i read this

Now I feel like a jackass

this fits well to your profile pic.

major lol, indeed.

All kinds of weird and wonderful madness....

After years of getting my tounge tied into knots this is what I say now. Usually followed by

You know, like all the stuff John Peel used to play late at night

After that, it's usually pretty clear to most people what direction I am coming from. If not it's obvious I am talking to to a muppet so, depending on my mood I will just finish it there with

Stuff that isn't in the top 40 pop charts

Or

The Devils music!!!!!!!!

This fucking question is an inheritance of the past and should be banned these days. Nothing good can come out of it, only discomfort. It made sense when everybody had no choice but listen to Nirvana or Guns N' Roses, or when you could actually impress a girl when you said something like The Prodigy - because pretty much everybody was aware of them, yet they seemed crazy cool and kinda out there compared to Spice Girls or whatever shit was popular at the time.

These days music is too fragmented and personal for such questions. You're not impressing anyone with list of bands you and two other WATMMers listen to and discuss, and shit like "everything/electronic music/good music" ("good music" is especially cringeworthy pretentious answer) leaves a sense of incompleteness in both your and their ears and you feel like asshole afterwards either way. On one hand you want to tell the world you listen to some next level shit because you spend so much money, time and energy on this thing, but you can only end up looking like a weird asshole listening to weird shit she never heard of or hopefully just misunderstood. There's no way to win.

don't give up there are girls with your music taste. just ask the question on a music related event you like and the answers might be pretty interesting.

You know, like all the stuff John Peel used to play late at night

This is perefect... I can't use it where I live because nobody knows who Peel is tho

LOL

I was thinking this would only be good for somebody from Blighty. I mean if somebody hasn't heard of John Peel and what he was all about from these shores they are usually pretty backward and farm sheep in an isolated valley somewhere. Either that or an ultra trendy wanker.

Archived