IGNORED

most important albums of your life

eugene

I'm not ready to compile a whole list right now, but I just listened to Jim O'Rourke's Insignificance for the first time today, and I reckon it's probably going to be one of the most important albums of my life. I know I'm 9 years late on this one, but I'm kind of glad. The second half was staggeringly good... connected with me in a way that I haven't felt in a while. The ending's absolutely perfect. I was hesitant to listen to anything else afterward because I knew it would probably seem shitty by comparison, and I was right. To be fair, I put on a Pink Mountaintops album I found at the library, and I think it really was just shit, no comparison needed. Anyway, yeah, Jim O'Rourke's the fucking man apparently. Where was I?

To reiterate:

Jim O'Rourke, Insignificance

Funny that an album titled Insignificance would leave such an impact. It's also got the most ridiculous inlay ever, wish i could find the whole package posted online to view. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insignificance_%28Jim_O%27Rourke_album%29

an artist i just discovered late is ulrich schnauss. i don't know if you've heard him but it's very blissful music. check out album "goodbye"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard goodbye, but I've got a couple of his other albums on mp3s --A Strangely Isolated Place and Far Away Trains Passing By. I haven't listened to them much (as with most mp3s I have), will give them another go. Listening to the first track off Strangely Isolated Place now, it is quite nice, vocals sound like Sigor Ros, I like his melodic approach. Blissful, as you say.

Guest ansgaria

Sigur Ros' "( )" certainly has a special place in my life/heart/whatever.

SigurRos.jpg

It might be my favorite record, though I'm not quite fond of operating with that term.

It just has something that no other record has.

Guest disparaissant

im not sure if it's THE MOST IMPORTANT EVER but forest swords - dagger paths is currently inspiring me to actually give a shit about playing music again.

im not sure if it's THE MOST IMPORTANT EVER but forest swords - dagger paths is currently inspiring me to actually give a shit about playing music again.

I burned myself out on that album pretty quick. At first I loved it and couldn't stop listening to it, then it just faded away... which is appropriate for that album.

album-dopethrone.jpg

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone. This album is significant to me because I am a pothead. The onslaught of crushingly heavy riffs has been stewed to perfection, and is somehow triumphantly ass-kicking and soothing at the same time. It kicks unprecedented amounts of ass.

SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream. So many great songs and pretty little ditties. A lot of people say BoC makes them all nostalgic, but this album somehow does that for me a whole lot more.

album-remain-in-light.jpg

Talking Heads - Remain In Light. Thirty years old, yet so so IDM. I never get sick of it.

Guest cedric grimfuck

in no real order:

Venetian Snares - All.

Aphex Twin: SAW1&2, RDJ, Drukqs, Analord Series

Clark: Empty the bones of you

Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation

Brian Eno: Another Green World

Eight Frozen Modules: Crumbling and Responding

Squarepusher: Go Plastic

u-ziq: Lunatic Harness

Flying Lotus: All

Massive Attack: Mezzanine

Autechre: Amber

Tera Melos: s/t

Don Caballero: Punkgasm

Wisp: NRTHNDR

Big Black: Atomizer

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

The Decemberists: The Hazards of Love

and probably a fuckload more that I forgot.

Guest ruiagnelo

murcof+-+martes.png

murcof20ox.jpg

murcof-cosmos.jpg

murcof is very special.

and i was lucky he came to my uninteresting small city once and gave a wonderful [tho short] concert.

Guest disparaissant

I burned myself out on that album pretty quick. At first I loved it and couldn't stop listening to it, then it just faded away... which is appropriate for that album.

yeah im trying not to do that lol. been listening to a lot of zola jesus too, she makes me want to take voice lessons, i'm a terrible singer.

Archived