IGNORED

most important albums of your life

eugene

Guest Deep Fried Everything

Can't stand Tortoise. They're terrible live.

agreed. but i think i'm just wired not to like them, so many other people do.

top?

guns_n_roses_-_appetite_for_destruction.jpg

220px-Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

43.jpg

46.jpg

mezzanine.jpg

R-235638-1078815949.gif

MusicCatalog%5CR%5CRichie%20Hawtin%20-%20Decks,%20EFX%20&%20909%5CRichie%20Hawtin%20-%20Decks,%20EFX%20&%20909.jpg

Songs+In+The+Key+Of+Life.jpg

that's a good start! :beer:

edit: b/c watmm sucks

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selected Ambient Works One and Two

Surfing on Sine Waves

Bytes

Parasight

Gak

Classics (AFX album)

Modern Life is Rubbish

Bradly's Robot (Bradly's Beat)

Electro-Soma

Limited Editions 1990-94

There Will Be No Armageddon

The Orb's Adventures and UForb ..

And much much more... but those are "Extra-special"

I want to add to that that list:

Analord 02,03,04,05,08 and 10

ON EP ..

Fuck it, RDJ Discography !!!!.

jean michel jarre - oxygene

mike oldfield - earth moving

de la soul - 3 feet high & rising

ice cube - amerikkka's most wanted

ice-t - power

public enemy - fear of a black planet

hijack - the horns of jericho

spice 1 - 187 murder he wrote

gangstarr - hard to earn

bad religion - against the grain

wu-tang clan - enter the wu-tang (36 chambers)

company flow - funcrusher plus

cannibal ox - the cold vein

autechre - confield

aphex twin - drukqs

john coltrane - a love supreme

burial - untrue

radiohead - amnesiac

thom yorke - the eraser

johnny cash - american IV

autechre - oversteps

EDIT: totally forgot about my headbanger-era. put nearly every guns n' roses, slayer and metallica album somewhere in between.

post-4992-0-48538200-1292059331_thumb.jpg "What We Must" - Jaga Jazzist

Just listen to the climax in "Oslo Skyline" or "Swedenborgske Rom" and say you're not on the brink of absolute tears

"Yanqui U.X.O." - Godspeed You Black Emperor!

A close pick between this or "Skinny Fists...", but I'm gonna have to hand it for this one; "Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls" and "Motherfucker=Redeemer Pt 1" are just devastating... and here we just get the songs, no ambient interludes.

"My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" - Brian Eno and David Byrne

I can't say this with any authority but this feels pretty revolutionary in terms of sampling... nothing else sounds like "Mea Culpa", and their two sensibilities are a perfect fit.

"Souvlaki" - Slowdive

What hasn't already been said? "Allison" is fucking lush, and the guitar soars throughout

"Joe's Garage" - Frank Zappa

Originally dismissed as "fucking ridiculous"... still deemed to be "fucking ridiculous". I love the playing on this. "Watermelon in Easter Hay" is my favorite guitar solo, period. "Keep it Greasey" is a mind-bender... Rock Opera to end all Rock Operas

"Geogaddi" - Boards of Canada

Yep, Geogaddi :cisfor:

"Eingya" - Helios

This album is just sublime. "Halving the Compass" - listen! Especially great for long train rides and shit weather

"3/Peter Gabriel" - Peter Gabriel

That goddamn gated snare. "Intruder" is menacing, and this album has my favorite lyric ever: "if you don't get given you learn to take, and I will take you!". The best thing he's ever done, imo

"And Their Refinement of the Decline" - Stars of the Lid

reminds me of quiet, windy days at uni, rustling trees and flag poles. "Tippy's Demise" is a favorite. This is music stripped down to its bare parts, fucking gorgeous

"Untilted" - Autechre

Rewards repeated listens. "Sublimit" and "Pro Radii" remain my favorite AE tracks, their sound is so fucking precise, and their sound is consistent throughout. More banging than Confield and Draft 7.30, this one really manifests the "mechanic" sounds touched on previously.

"Treasure" - Cocteau Twins

I was going to pick "Heaven of Las Vegas" or "Head Over Heels", but I feel this is their most consistent. This album started my whole Shoegaze tangent; Ride -> Slowdive etc etc etc.

"Future Days" - Can

I don't know what to say about this one... "floaty" seems appropriate. Damo Suzuki's lyrics are restrained here, and the whole album is just so chilled

Guest Ricky Downtown

beach boys-pet sounds

todd rundgren-something/anything?

aphex twin-i care because you do

boards of canada-geogaddi

d'angelo-voodoo

j dilla-donuts

moby-play

nino nardini/roger roger-jungle obsession

"3/Peter Gabriel" - Peter Gabriel

That goddamn gated snare. "Intruder" is menacing, and this album has my favorite lyric ever: "if you don't get given you learn to take, and I will take you!". The best thing he's ever done, imo

oh man, good call on that lyric. that whole song paints such a vivid picture..

It's quite funny to see no one here admitting to actually listening to rock music.

Anyways, couple of important albums, be impossible to list them all.

rise-against-top-12-20080930001611480-000.jpg

In grade 5, so being about 11 years old. After an irregular (as in didn't listen to music all the time) pop diet of Duran Duran/Michael Jackson one day I was in the library browsing the LPs and that album cover was weird enough to grab my attention. Important because that was the record that allowed me to understand there was music out there that was different and dangerous and people didn't want it to be heard cause it would fuck shit up.

boutique.jpg

Fast forward to grade 10 (1990). This record never left my walkman. It was a haven against the mundane and it introduced me basically to sampling.

nevermind.jpg

Yeah it was life changing. Yes I still listen to it (although I prefer In Utero). It was just a great rock record. Fuck the haters.

aphex-twin-85-92-1.jpg

Couple of years later (summer of 93 I want to say), after a lot of other music has been experienced, and a lot of drugs have been consumed. Bam. The moment that changed everything really. What can be said abotu the album that hasn't? I love RDJ's catalogue to bits, but this is my desert island disc. call me reactionary, call me a stick in the mud, call me boring but this is the shit.

live93mm9.jpg

This was later in 93, might have been just after the 94 new year actually. After some mad warehouse rave with a lot of mushrooms and a guy who spoke fluent martian. Back at friend's house coming down with some joints and this. Bliss.

Enter-The-Wu-Tang-36-Chambers_Wu-Tang-Clan,images_big,4,74321203672.jpg

I didn't hear this until summer of 94, so slow to the game I guess, but that was before you could download the entire discography of an artist in 10 minutes. Anyways, all that needs to be said about this is: Wu-Tang motherfucker!.

autechre.jpg

1994 and this drops and makes my jaw drop. textures and sound design like nothing else I'd heard. A very close second for my desert island disc. One of those records you know so well that you can anticipate the next bit of each track but still love it and still feel amazed at it.

000070fc_450x450DPI72.jpg

Who's the fucking daddy?

Boards+of+Canada-Music+has+the+Right+to+Children.jpg

My favorite Boards of Canada release, followed closely by IABPOITC. Perfection. They haven't topped it yet for me.

So yeah. I mean there's tons I'm missing, probably close to 100 more records, considering I haven't even touched on classic rock, jazz, classical (in the broad sense of the term you fucking literalist pricks) but that would be too much procrastination....lol

jimi_hendrix_axis_album_cover.jpg

Almost forgot - this record ties with SAW 85-92 as the bomb. Not a track gets skipped.

Also, I will agree somewhat with ludd. Endtroducing is a decent record, but man is it overhyped. Sure I can see it's importance, (although the dust brothers/mario c did make Paul's Boutique out of samples basically...) but the songs themselves are merely competent, not insanely great.

Guest the anonymous forumite

It's quite funny to see no one here admitting to actually listening to rock music.

read the thread.

Somewhat in chronological order...

Weird Al - Dare to be Stupid

GNR - Appetite For Destruction

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

The Beatles - Revolver

Faith No More - Introduce Yourself

Janes Addiction - Nothings Shocking

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Misfits - Compilation

Pixies - Doolittle

Aphex Twin - On & Girl/Boy

David Bowie - Station to Station

of Montreal - Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies

High on Fire - Surrounded by Thieves

Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit

My Morning Jacket - At Dawn

Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt

The Thermals - More Parts Per Million

MGMT - Congratulations

Sparks - Kimono My House

Guest ruiagnelo

Mostly Hip Hop,..

Nwa - straight out of compton

Nwa - Efil4zaggin

Eazy e - Eazy-Duz-It

Dr. Dre - the chronic

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted

Public enemy - fear of a black planet

Public enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

Pete Rock & Cl Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother

Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth

Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East

Big Punisher - Capital Punishment

Wu Tang Clan - 36 chambers

Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Onyx - Bacdafucup

Leaders Of The New School - A Future Without A

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Prodigy, The - Experience

Prodigy, The - Music For The Jilted Generation

LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression

Squarepusher - feed me weird things

etc

etc

no Aphex?!

wft are you doing on watmm?

:cerious:

read the thread.

yes true, there are a few who listed some GNR and Slayer and stuff. Thinking of one person in particular though.

When Use Your Illusion came out I skipped Chem class that day to go and buy it, cause if you bought the first one, you got the second free. :)

chronological order, starting at around three years old:

percy faith - the beatles album

raffi - rise and shine

glenn gould - the goldberg variations (1981)

U2 - the joshua tree

the beatles - abbey road

the talking heads - remain in light

roxy music - avalon

various - mad about the classics

nirvana - unplugged in new york [the first album i ever bought, i was nine, i got it through one of those bmg music service deals]

green day - dookie

primitive radio gods - standing outside a broken phone booth... [just the single]

the beastie boys - ill communication

radiohead - ok computer

aphex twin - selected ambient works volume II

squarepusher - music is rotted one note

dj shadow - endtroducing

bjork - homogenic

charles mingus - the black saint and the sinner lady

µ-ziq - tango n vectif

my bloody valentine - loveless

aphex twin - drukqs

susumu yokota - sakura

nick drake - pink moon

fennesz - endless summer/hotel paral.lel

wire - pink flag

tim hecker - harmony in ultraviolet

it basically tapers off at about 2002, when the rate of discovery meant i was listening to tons of really shit music and becoming desensitized to most of it. there's been maybe four really fantastic, life changingly good albums that i've heard in the last seven years that can rival those early experiences.

Archived