IGNORED

dam-funk

acid1

Seriously whats up with this guy? I've seen his name thrown around this forum a lot, especially in the bitter Squarepusher threads, and for whatever reason I decided to check out his album this weekend ("Toeachizown") and wow.... I was completely blown away.

Now any friend of mine would quickly tell you, I'm a big fan of both George Clinton P-Funk and Dre's G-Funk, so it should come as no surprise that I would latch onto this one... but I think dude is plenty relevant to WATMM as dude's album is him showing off his old school analog gear. I mean its basically Analord funked up to the nth degree.

Whats truly confusing to me, is when you turn on one of his songs, you are almost immediately presented with one of the worst drum pattern/sequences known to man, and while you are mid-cracking up, he just calmly adds the other pieces of the equation into the song, and all of a sudden those drums you were laughing at fit perfectly in a synth-funk harmony. After a minute or two, you wonder how music that good could even exist. Its almost like he redeems himself in every song.

Guest Jimbob

That tune is wicked. Saw him @ the Warehouse Project last year and he was brilliant, if you can appreciate it for what it is......cheesy as fuck but top tunes! :cool:

dam funk is awesome, he knows how to make music. i like his more quantized stuff better, i'm not a big fan of of the sloppy mpc beats aesthetic.

his gfunk stuff is great, but i think my favorite tracks by him are his high tempo ones like 'Let's take off (far away)' off of Toeachizown

I can't really link from work (nor can I see links) but one of the songs that really blew me away was "Galactic Fun"

Man that guy can really sound design some pads.

My only gripe is that some of his songs can go on a bit too long, but a lot of the time if I'm listening to it while I work I don't really notice. Also after a while the productions really sink in.

Also I wasen't wild about Mc Eiht being in Hood Pass Intact. I like his singing in it, but I'd perfer the instrumental.

Other then that, I can put this double CD on shuffle and completely zone out to it.

This is what Detox should have been.

I love his stuff and highly recommend that if you enjoy it you should try to see him live. He signed my CD insert and was a very down to earth laidback guy. Can't wait for his next album/tour.

Guest analogue wings

Also I wasen't wild about Mc Eiht being in Hood Pass Intact. I like his singing in it, but I'd perfer the instrumental.

MC Eiht is gone from the new video version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcdpi16NfrY

And yeah, you don't really miss him.

I saw DF around May this year and he was great. He would hold up the records to show us the label, and announce the artist, title, year and label, then put them on and sing and jam over them with his synth. And he got in the crowd and had a dance with us.

Guest enxyme

Genius... I heard one of the new tracks he's doing with Steve Arrington(of Slave fame)... Sounds great... And I agree he uses and probably creates some very tasteful pads... One of the strange things about him imo... Is, he's REALLY into "Funk" being a way of life and a state of mind?? To me funk being a broad musical term and scattered music scene from the 70's doesn't seem like something that "Real"... But perhaps I'm not aware of the real story of "Funk"??

Guest analogue wings

There's a pic of his studio floating around online and it would appear a JX3p is his main synth.

I wonder if he uses an MKS30 with his keytar...

here we go

dam-funk-studio.jpg

Guest analogue wings

Acid1 - dunno how you initially felt about Cryptic Motion, but try listening again now that you've heard Toeachizown

Tried to get into him back when Onra gave him props, but then I was like "wtf is this shit?"

Decided to go back and listen again because of this thread and I thought "wtf is this shit?"

Guest analogue wings

Tried to get into him back when Onra gave him props, but then I was like "wtf is this shit?"

Decided to go back and listen again because of this thread and I thought "wtf is this shit?"

you need to drink some of this

wite-out.jpg

Yeah make sure you catch him live. Saw him before HudMo at Glasto and it was brilliant!

Agree that a lot of his tracks are perhaps a little long, but they get you in the mood and there aint anyone else like him.

he's definitely the shit, though i concur on the excessive track lengths at times. but live, with a full band, holy shit—such an amazing show.

he's definitely the shit, though i concur on the excessive track lengths at times. but live, with a full band, holy shit—such an amazing show.

I've only ever seen him solo but it was still great fun.

I've got a mix he did a little while ago for radio one somewhere.

Is it worth me uploading it or has all already got it?

It's called the future sound of modern funk. :mcgriff:

Archived