IGNORED

Shobaleader One: D'Demonstrator

Guest ruiagnelo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble, for me, is that for some reason it hasn't quite got the funk.

I like funk and some pop and a bit of RnB, I like vocoders, and I like Squarepusher, but this isn't quite tight or snappy or funky or warm enough, or something. Maybe musicians here could explain why.

I dissed the new Jimmy Edgar album before (because of it's lyrical content, really) but I was wrong about it. Again. Ignoring the lyrics, that album's got vocoders and rnb and sleezey pop vibes running through, and because of the slick production and tightness of it all it works for me (in a way this release isn't quite working.)

'Abstract Lover', though, is such a tune. Love it. And the rest is quite nice - something weird's just happened to my ears with Squarepusher's sounds/production/mastering/mixing since 'Hello Everything'. . .

• 1 month later...
something weird's just happened to my ears with Squarepusher's sounds/production/mastering/mixing since 'Hello Everything'. . .

It's not you dude. His mixing/production has been getting progressively "tinnier," since Hello, and first noticeable on Just a Souvenir. It's proper annoying, because there are some just GREAT tunes and melodies between these albums.

But honestly, that production.. I challenge ANY of you to honestly say that his last 3 albums excel in any of these adjective:

WARM

FULL

PUNCHY

The last lush-est track he's produced was Ultravisitor, and others on that album. Now that is a track with full range and excellent production.

Note, the above is typifying.. not absolute- for example 'Numbers Luscent' is the outliar here.. Star Time 1 is Lush with a capital L. Solo Electric bass is produced appropriately for what it is. And Quadratune is the warmest track on Just a Souvenir, great one too. But those studio albums.. on the whole.. are just Tinny!

I find drukqs very "tinny" too.... analord/tuss not so much...

I find albums like Drukqs, Draft 7.30 are "harsh".. in that they have a lot of high sounds but also have punch behind that. But they're certainly not "tinny". Recent squarepusher lacks dat punch

Guest rotchnock

I find albums like Drukqs, Draft 7.30 are "harsh".. in that they have a lot of high sounds but also have punch behind that. But they're certainly not "tinny". Recent squarepusher lacks dat punch

I agree! What is he thinking? The production is so poor compared to other works.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I agree! What is he thinking? The production is so poor compared to other works.

it's sort of easy listening, isn't it? the production matches the mood of the tunes.

I have avoided this album like the plague. I thought it would suck.

Cycling along on my bike listening to Bleeps 100, a tune starts playing which makes me stop to check who it is because I love it's weird wave of funk (and I detest 99% of funk).

Suprise! It's Squarepusher, it's Megazine.

Hook, line and sinker.

something weird's just happened to my ears with Squarepusher's sounds/production/mastering/mixing since 'Hello Everything'. . .

It's not you dude. His mixing/production has been getting progressively "tinnier," since Hello, and first noticeable on Just a Souvenir. It's proper annoying, because there are some just GREAT tunes and melodies between these albums.

But honestly, that production.. I challenge ANY of you to honestly say that his last 3 albums excel in any of these adjective:

WARM

FULL

PUNCHY

The last lush-est track he's produced was Ultravisitor, and others on that album. Now that is a track with full range and excellent production.

Note, the above is typifying.. not absolute- for example 'Numbers Luscent' is the outliar here.. Star Time 1 is Lush with a capital L. Solo Electric bass is produced appropriately for what it is. And Quadratune is the warmest track on Just a Souvenir, great one too. But those studio albums.. on the whole.. are just Tinny!

It's funny because go plastic is like ear piercingly crisp to the point where it's almost hard to listen to on nice headphones with good highs.

yeah this album is a sexyfunky muthafucker good! not the best by squarepusher...

sexy mother fucks shaking that ass shaking that ass

sexy mother fucks shaking that ass shaking that ass

wooooooohooooooohooooo

yeah!

ur favorite broken english man. ;-)

Guest bitroast

YEAH.

Plug me in was my favourite for most of last year, but now i've eased back into Cryptic Motion. It's got such an amazing/instantly enjoyable groove to it. That said, Plug me in...!

Far out. it's too good an album. I find it kinda disapointing people probably arent giving it the chance it deserves just because it has a little bit of cheese associated with it. It really is such an incredible enjoyable album : )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Calx Sherbet

i know it was old news in only a matter of weeks, but i gave this album a second listen ever since it first came out. i never had anything against this album, but now i REALLY enjoyed it. it felt...right for once. i can't honestly say it felt right the first time. i think i just wasn't ready.

Endless Night is indeed fantastic

• 1 month later...

I kinda dig this now. A cool little step in his musical trajectory and the tunes are definitely good. From that SOS interview he says he's returning to a less accessible sound, can't wait.

Archived