IGNORED

Zune HD

Guest Billov

My old 80gig Zune died on me at the start of the summer... and I've really been missing listening to music something hard...

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunehd/zunehd64/features.htm

I can pick up a 64 gig Zune HD on ebay for €240 which is quite decent in my opinion. Just wanted to see if anyone is using a Zune HD, any problems so far? How does it hold up against its peers? How long does the battery last you (either just playing music, or music as well as its other more battery draining features).

My other option is to get a Sony A-series

No touch screen or browser or apps... but probably much better longevity and better sound quality, plus hd storage. Seems a bit pricey though, the 16gig is going for €220 in the sony shops over here :/

how long has your previous zune lasted you? i had a 30 gig ipod that i bought about 4 years ago and it died on me last spring. the only reason i have one of those 8 gig nanos is because my wife gave it to me since she bought herself an itouch (that my 4 year old son uses more than she and is covered in syrup). i was looking into getting a zune, but the model i was looking at was expensive.

how long has your previous zune lasted you? i had a 30 gig ipod that i bought about 4 years ago and it died on me last spring. the only reason i have one of those 8 gig nanos is because my wife gave it to me since she bought herself an itouch (that my 4 year old son uses more than she and is covered in syrup). i was looking into getting a zune, but the model i was looking at was expensive.

I think it must have lasted only a year and a half... but it sounds like the Zune HD is more reliable. Also I think my Zune died because i tripped over the usb lead while it was charging and it slammed into my bedside table :S

buy an ipod classic.. I've had my ipod classic 80gb for like 3 years now.. no issues.

He has one, hes just a lazy shite.

true.

after my 30 gig ipod died, i was so angry because my macbook died about a week earlier... i slammed the ipod to ground and the screen turned to black... forever!

I've had my regular Zune 80gig for about 3 years with no issues and it gets very regular use. They are great lil players and the library management software is nice as well.

Can't vouch for the Zune HD yet but unless something better comes along, I'm sure I'll be getting one whenever this one poops out (if it ever does).

On recommendations from this exact forum, I bought this when my ipod died:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONS9/product_page_1.php

Love it.

Holy shitbeards... somehow I've never heard of Cowon before. The latest one looks incredible

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONJ3/product_page_1.php

Ok, its definitely between the zune hd and this. I'm leaning towards the cowon since the sound quality is much better, plus the battery is sick (over 60 hours of music playing)

Now I'm wondering whether to splash out for a 32gig, or just get the 16gig and an extra 16gig microSD. Decisions..decisions... :closedeyes:

Sprigg, on 16 October 2010 - 01:54 PM, said:

On recommendations from this exact forum, I bought this when my ipod died:

http://www.cowonglob...duct_page_1.php

Love it.

Holy shitbeards... somehow I've never heard of Cowon before. The latest one looks incredible

http://www.cowonglob...duct_page_1.php

Ok, its definitely between the zune hd and this. I'm leaning towards the cowon since the sound quality is much better, plus the battery is sick (over 60 hours of music playing)

Now I'm wondering whether to splash out for a 32gig, or just get the 16gig and an extra 16gig microSD. Decisions..decisions...

The reason I got the s9 was that the 32gig, at the time, cost the same (or close?) as the 16gig j3.

Overall it's my favourite mp3 player that I've owned, between a couple Sansas, an iPod Video, and the s9. The battery definitely lasts forever, sound quality i can't comment on really, as I'm not too picky as long as it's not like a 128kbps mp3... and the shape is just awesome.

There's also online communities that do mods and themes and such for it, and some of the user-created UIs for it are absolutely stellar.

I also happen to hate the Zune software almost as much as I hate iTunes. :whistling:

Zune's are nice players... the only thing I don't like about them is it requires an interface to load the music into it, similar to the ipod. I'm a drag and drop kind of guy.

If you want video, drag and drop interface, and a sweet UI... the Cowon series, as mentioned already is the one to look at.

Another, more moderately priced solution is the s:flo2: LINK

If you dont want video, touch screen, or huge ass form factor, I suggest the Sansa Fuze: LINK

I personally use a Fuze... if you keep an eye out they pop up on woot.com or buy.com for around $50 for the 8gb version. It has an expendable microSD card so my setup is the 8gb with a 16gb micro SD making it 24gb... I paid about $70 for the player and the card and it has been serving me well for the last year.

Here is my setup which is usually rubber banded together:

Sansa Fuze > Line Out > Pico DAC/AMP > Ultrasone Pro 900s

DSC_2279.jpg

I'm not going to argue sound quality because mostly anything these days sounds good and unless you are using a $250+ pair of cans with thirsty drivers, you should be happy with just about anything.

are there any mainstream mp3 players where you can just drag and drop mp3s onto it like a hard drive and have them show up on the unit?

yeah... the ipod.

(after you hack it) (rockbox)

(or download an app)

are there any mainstream mp3 players where you can just drag and drop mp3s onto it like a hard drive and have them show up on the unit?

yeah... the ipod.

(after you hack it) (rockbox)

(or download an app)

How is Rockbox? A had always contemplated it but was scared to fuck my ipod up.

Archived