IGNORED

X-Asp - Terra Ferma

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

i want to share a record i discovered today, called Terra Ferma, by X-Asp and released on Rephlex.

it's kind of unknown and hard to find, though there are some vinyl to be sold on discogs, but i instantly loved it.

i get to discover new artists pretty much everyday, but this one turned out to be special, because it has a combination of charming spacey pads and melodies with often complex, raw drum programming. as simple as that. this made me feel like when i first listened to steve pictkon's stasis or black dog's bytes (though not establishing a comparison here).

it's very hard to find samples and youtube has nothing, but you can listen two of the tracks here:

Terra Ferma *2

http://soundcloud.com/user4787471/x-asp-terra-ferma-02-terra-ferma-x2

and my favorite Cloud bass

http://soundcloud.com/user4787471/x-asp-terra-ferma-07-cloud-bass

There is also a µ-Ziq remix of the track Terra Ferma.

post here if you knew it already and if not, hope you enjoy!

Yes, always really liked this LP

Always presumed it was a person/persons working under a pseudonym, as I've never heard of the two guys credited (Gulati / Powell) releasing anything else at all.

Btw, on the Stasis, BDP angle, if you haven't already come across Likemind Records you might find something you like.

Edited by xy_politics

Guest ruiagnelo

Yes, always really liked this LP

Always presumed it was a person/persons working under a pseudonym, as I've never heard of the two guys credited (Gulati / Powell) releasing anything else at all.

Btw, on the Stasis, BDP angle, if you haven't already come across Likemind Records you might find something you like.

i know of the likemind series and love it!

from time to time i go on a web voyage looking for similar artists to BDP and Stasis and this time i found pretty interesting results.

terra ferma by x-asp and the purple universe by synectics, also released on rephlex.

this sound means so much to me!

Guest ruiagnelo

eh ruiagnelo, did you ever get into Ochre, Infinite Scale, Digitonal or any of that Toytronic Records stuff? You'll really want to check that out, especially Ochre.

i have some Ochre but never went to far with it.

each release i own had about 2 or 3 listens. maybe i will get back to it soon.

i don't know the other two, but i am interested.

how should i start with those?

Guest ruiagnelo

I am a fan of this record. Reminds me of early Passarani and other nature stuff.

can you provide one or two youtube links? i wanna listen to that

Guest ruiagnelo

I am a fan of this record. Reminds me of early Passarani and other nature stuff.

can I search on YouTube myself for examples? i wanna listen to that

fixt. :closedeyes:

:angry:

Guest narkeworld

Phenomyna's release "Unexplained" is some good stuff in the X-Asp ballpark. It's one of Steve Pickton's aliases. The "Unexplained" album is really expensive now but I found the album on Soulseek (mp3s, bleh, but 100 dollars is a lot for a cd;)), you'll probably be able to find it there as well. The outfit Dynamic Wave put out music on Nature (Ludd mentioned Passarani and Nature in this thread before, no doubt he knows his music) in the 90's that is also in the X-Asp ballpark, they have an EP available at Bleep and it's good imo. Also Monomorph (D'Arcangelo alias) put out wicked stuff. The Telestatt EP from Bochum Welt is absolutely amazing, but expensive.

Guest ruiagnelo

Phenomyna's release "Unexplained" is some good stuff in the X-Asp ballpark. It's one of Steve Pickton's aliases. The "Unexplained" album is really expensive now but I found the album on Soulseek (mp3s, bleh, but 100 dollars is a lot for a cd;)), you'll probably be able to find it there as well. The outfit Dynamic Wave put out music on Nature (Ludd mentioned Passarani and Nature in this thread before, no doubt he knows his music) in the 90's that is also in the X-Asp ballpark, they have an EP available at Bleep and it's good imo. Also Monomorph (D'Arcangelo alias) put out wicked stuff. The Telestatt EP from Bochum Welt is absolutely amazing, but expensive.

thanks man, definitely gonna check those you mentioned.

phenomyna and everything steve pickton has put his hands one i know already and love it all!

had to grab a FLAC of unexplained that a guy ripped from vinyl and uploaded to what.cd.

eh ruiagnelo, did you ever get into Ochre, Infinite Scale, Digitonal or any of that Toytronic Records stuff? You'll really want to check that out, especially Ochre.

i have some Ochre but never went to far with it.

each release i own had about 2 or 3 listens. maybe i will get back to it soon.

i don't know the other two, but i am interested.

how should i start with those?

Digitonal has that full length Save Your Light For Darker Days. that's a good starter.

Infinite Scale, you should start w/ those first two EPs Sound Sensor and Automated Compositions

can I search on YouTube myself for examples? i wanna listen to that

fixt. :closedeyes:

:angry:

Because I am nice I found you this (from 1995 I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJCHxRLXok8

had to grab a FLAC of unexplained that a guy ripped from vinyl and uploaded to what.cd.

Um, Unexplained wasn't ever released on vinyl! (Link)

Maybe you're referring to the 2 remix 12"s? If you don't have the original album, it's really really good and Discogs has copies from £35 if you're bothered about getting an original.

Here's something from 2005 by Kirk Degiorgio and Ian O'Brien which is surprisingly retro and great:

[youtubehd]-O5dE0t8YR0[/youtubehd]

Guest ruiagnelo

Um, Unexplained wasn't ever released on vinyl! (Link)

Maybe you're referring to the 2 remix 12"s? If you don't have the original album, it's really really good and Discogs has copies from £35 if you're bothered about getting an original.

Here's something from 2005 by Kirk Degiorgio and Ian O'Brien which is surprisingly retro and great:

[youtubehd]-O5dE0t8YR0[/youtubehd]

exactly. not vinyl, but cd.

• 10 years later...

I have this on both CD and vinyl. It's awesome, my favourite track is the CD extra not on vinyl, Poisson Métallique.

Spoiler

Discogs says that I have 210 RePHLeX releases, but there's overlap on vinyl and CDs - mostly vinyl, though.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1