IGNORED

Pretty Hate Machine re-issue

Guest Fishtank

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer to think of this reissue as a new version rather a remaster and I think what they've done with the artwork reflects that.

i prefer to think of this new version as the 'cash-cow' version.

it is simply a remastered version, made to sound more 'modern' (ie, brickwalled to fuck, and no dynamics at all) with less 80s looking artwork so that the 15 year old Emo kids of this generation aren't like "woah wtf is this shit?" when they're listening to it, because they have no idea about the era that the music came from.

it is a cash grab, plain and simple.

after this, and the fact that the soundtrack for The Social Network borrows very heavily from his previous release Ghosts I-IV, i have lost all respect for Trent Reznor.

Guest esstevancarlos

I prefer to think of this reissue as a new version rather a remaster and I think what they've done with the artwork reflects that.

it is simply a remastered version, made to sound more 'modern' (ie, brickwalled to fuck, and no dynamics at all) with less 80s looking artwork so that the 15 year old Emo kids of this generation aren't like "woah wtf is this shit?" when they're listening to it, because they have no idea about the era that the music came from.

after this, and the fact that the soundtrack for The Social Network borrows very heavily from his previous release Ghosts I-IV, i have lost all respect for Trent Reznor.

The director, Fincher, specifically requested those Ghosts tracks. They were originally used for-placement-only but found their way in the final version from his request. Also Reznor, has not had any control over PHM for many years due to it exchanging hands from TvT to others. He really wanted to do something with it for some time. I mean, come on. The original album does sound really dated.

The director, Fincher, specifically requested those Ghosts tracks. They were originally used for-placement-only but found their way in the final version from his request. Also Reznor, has not had any control over PHM for many years due to it exchanging hands from TvT to others. He really wanted to do something with it for some time. I mean, come on. The original album does sound really dated.

so you're one of these fools that actually likes to hear crunchy square waves instead of the actual music?

:claps:

Guest esstevancarlos

so you're one of these fools that actually likes to hear crunchy square waves instead of the actual music?

Actual music is overrated.

Guest Lucy Faringold
brickwalled to fuck, and no dynamics at all

That's incorrect. It's a loud remaster, yes, but it's a good one. I've listened to each track side by side next to the original and it's been compressed really well. There's a great sense of space between all the elements in the mix and there's no obvious clipping issues.

As for The Social Network soundtrack - that did indeed sound like a weak re-hash of Ghosts. And the less said about How to Destroy Angels the better.

Guest Lucy Faringold

so you're one of these fools that pans a mix based on the fucking waveforms instead of listening to the actual music?

Guest esstevancarlos

so you're one of these fools that pans a mix based on the fucking waveforms instead of listening to the actual music?

Am I the only one who likes squarewaves and clipping?

no, i actually listened to the music first, and then when i heard the blatant clipping, i checked the waveforms to make sure i wasn't just superimposing my own less than stellar expectations for the remaster.

and i was right - this remaster is a contender in the loudness war

:slaps:

edit: also who's dupe account are you? and why don't you post using your more well known account?

Guest Lucy Faringold

Point me towards this 'blatant clipping' then. Give me a track name and a time.

Also what the fuck are you on with your 'post withn your well known name' bullshit? I've only been posting a short while and this is my only account.

Point me towards this 'blatant clipping' then. Give me a track name and a time.

Also what the fuck are you on with your 'post withn your well known name' bullshit? I've only been posting a short while and this is my only account.

points you towards track name and time for blatant clipping

there are various other instances where there is clipping, but i'm not going to waste my time showing you

Guest Lucy Faringold

As i thought, you can't because there aren't any audible instances. Pointing to a waveform proves nothing about what one can actually hear in the track itself.

Guest Lucy Faringold

hearing is subjective. a picture of a waveform isn't.

Pointing to a waveform proves nothing about what one can actually hear in the track itself.

Pointing to a waveform proves nothing about what one can actually hear in the track itself.

check the time index in that screenshot

fucking hell. use some sense

Guest Lucy Faringold

1.40 of Sanctified? The short blast of white noise on the right channel? You're pointing to that as evidence of clipping? Seriously?

1.40 of Sanctified? The short blast of white noise on the right channel? You're pointing to that as evidence of clipping? Seriously?

5mins47 actually

and yes i am. as i have already said, it's not the only instance of clipping on the album (or indeed in that song). and i might add that i am not the only person who is of the opinion that the sound quality of this remaster is utter shit.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Dude, a deliberate blast of white noise that's meant to top out the mix isn't clipping.

Obviously you plan on holding to your position for whatever bizarre reason so I see no point in continuing this discussion.

Dude, a deliberate blast of white noise that's meant to top out the mix isn't clipping.

Obviously you plan on holding to your position for whatever bizarre reason so I see no point in continuing this discussion.

lol it wasn't topping out on the original master.

Archived