• amber
    • tri repetae
    • chiastic slide
    • lp5
    • confield
    • draft 7.30
    • untilted

Guest endangered betche

Tri Repetae ++ (the version with the two eps tacked on the second disc) is easily their best work because it shows their entire range.

From there, it's one slow long descent into technically proficient unlistenability.

Guest mushroom

LP5 was a great bridge from their old, more conventional material to their abstract, experimental stuff, while still being a fantastic album on its own.

If Melve and Caliper Remote were left off, I would consider it one of the greatest of all time.

No love for Draft and Untilted, I see.

• 2 weeks later...
Tri Repetae ++ (the version with the two eps tacked on the second disc) is easily their best work because it shows their entire range.

From there, it's one slow long descent into technically proficient unlistenability.

this was the first autechre album that blew me away, followed by chiastic slide (mostly for sound design)

It still doesnt sound dated even with all the autechre clones out there (including myself :wink2:)

No love for Draft and Untilted, I see.

lots of love for draft, but if you've heard all of autechre's albums id be extremely surprised if Untilted was your favorite

the thing about ae is that all of their albums are favourites on any given day.

though id probably settle for tri rep as a desert island disc.

Guest mushroom
lots of love for draft, but if you've heard all of autechre's albums id be extremely surprised if Untilted was your favorite

True, but I still think Untilted was great. A nice break from all the foreign percussion to more familiar drum sounds, plus all the tracks had fantastic structure. Who couldn't love Ipacial Section?

I never understood why Amber is considered so great. I guess I'm just not that much of a fan of ambient(though Aphex' SAWII was awesome).

I can't say much for Confield, seeing as I just got it. Up to Pen Expers, it's really good so far.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest contrapunctus

Personal favorites in order

1.LP5

2.Confield

3.Chiastic Slide

4.Amber

5.Tri Repetae

6.Incunabula

7.Draft 7.30

8.Untilted

Not a single album that doesn't wail 1-7, Untilted still doesn't do much for me.

Guest disco_epilepsy
True, but I still think Untilted was great. A nice break from all the foreign percussion to more familiar drum sounds, plus all the tracks had fantastic structure. Who couldn't love Ipacial Section?

i always saw pro radii as the "who couldn't love it" track, although i like ipacial selection i wouldn't see it as something nobody couldn't love

Guest contrapunctus

^^I don't think Untilted is weak at all, it just seems they put so much effort into ultra-complex f'ed up beats that they neglected most of their other strong points. Pro Radii and Augmatic Disport are nice :yeah:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Gooble Gobble

I don't know how it's possible to even begin to pick a favorite. IMO I look at their whole body of work as one huge cd. There are different styles to each release and even each song in each release so I find it impossible to single out one release as a favorite. I'm completely fascinated by every song, every time I hear it. I have a certain blind faith in Ae, they have produced music that I've listened to for 13 or so years and I find no fault with any of it. They have the Midas Touch as far as I'm concerned and I don't ever see not liking something they'd put out. It would be impossible for them to make too challenging of a piece of music. The farther out there the better. Even if they turned into noise along the lines of Merzbow I'd still love them ( And yes I do like Merzbow, alot ). They ( Ae ) are the only musicians that I feel this way about which blows my mind. It's amazing that everything they do is soooooo good.

Guest Asymptote

it goes like this

1. Chiastic Slide

2. Tri Repetae

3. Untilted

4. Draft 7.30

5. Confield

6. LP5

7. Incunabula

8. Amber

What the hell, why not..

1) LP5