IGNORED

websites

halisray

• 11 months later...

A video archive of 4659 websites made by individuals and captured on the 15th of January 2022. I wanted to save these sites at this moment in time because I feel the nature of the web and of indie sites is changing. Many will vanish, many new ones will arrive. Here at least though there is a memory of them that will last, and perhaps provide an introduction to these sites if you have never seen them before.

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, milkface said:

Does anyone else here use rateyourmusic.com? I've been using it for years and kind of like it but wanted to know other peoples' opinions on RYM.

I do, but just to explore inside the Genre list and history of each one. https://rateyourmusic.com/genres/

Edited by logakght
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, milkface said:

Does anyone else here use rateyourmusic.com? I've been using it for years and kind of like it but wanted to know other peoples' opinions on RYM.

I used to use that site quite often. I think it's a great music discovery platform first and foremost, in fact, one of the best that I've ever used. I honestly listened to a much wider variety of music (and more music in general) much more frequently than I normally do, just because of how engaging the site itself was. I felt encouraged to post actively and it felt satisfying to increase the number of ratings and reviews. Plus, I made a very conscious effort to truly soak in every single detail of whatever I was listening to, even if I didn't like it on first listen. 

I feel like there are some pretty major downsides, I quit using music cataloguing all together because of them. I eventually made listening to music habitual, rather than a form of entertainment. I was putting too much thought into whether or not I liked something. When you're constantly thinking in the back of your mind very specific reasons for why you enjoy or dislike something the first time you ever hear it, that completely destroys the pure emotion of the experience.

Its culture is pretty elitist, and it's easy to get sucked into it. I've gotten to the point where verbose and overly lettered "music reviews" make me sick to my stomach. You can't be in this mindset to truly enjoy music. At least from my perspective as a person who makes tracks, I can't relate to the perspective that critics or general over-analyzers have. Why are you describing this track like food? 

I make what makes me feel good and immerses me in the creative process, where 5 hours can feel like 5 minutes. I can't even imagine having these incredibly complex novel-esque concepts that all of the "greatest albums of all time" apparently have and were envisioned by God  your favorite 4chan approved artist to play out in the most perfectly sequential, divinely guided manner which can be perfectly expressed through flowery words and pretention. 

The execution of a concept, for me anyway, is always just what truly engages you the most. Interweaving themes that link them together come about as almost unintentional and mostly subconscious. That's where the real beauty is, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, logakght said:

I do, but just to explore inside the Genre list and history of each one. https://rateyourmusic.com/genres/

I agree the website is a remarkable database of releases and genres. I've spent countless hours scrolling through user-made lists as well as genre lists/ year release lists.

20 hours ago, koolkeyZ865 said:

I used to use that site quite often. I think it's a great music discovery platform first and foremost, in fact, one of the best that I've ever used. I honestly listened to a much wider variety of music (and more music in general) much more frequently than I normally do, just because of how engaging the site itself was. I felt encouraged to post actively and it felt satisfying to increase the number of ratings and reviews. Plus, I made a very conscious effort to truly soak in every single detail of whatever I was listening to, even if I didn't like it on first listen. 

I feel like there are some pretty major downsides, I quit using music cataloguing all together because of them. I eventually made listening to music habitual, rather than a form of entertainment. I was putting too much thought into whether or not I liked something. When you're constantly thinking in the back of your mind very specific reasons for why you enjoy or dislike something the first time you ever hear it, that completely destroys the pure emotion of the experience.

Its culture is pretty elitist, and it's easy to get sucked into it. I've gotten to the point where verbose and overly lettered "music reviews" make me sick to my stomach. You can't be in this mindset to truly enjoy music. At least from my perspective as a person who makes tracks, I can't relate to the perspective that critics or general over-analyzers have. Why are you describing this track like food? 

I make what makes me feel good and immerses me in the creative process, where 5 hours can feel like 5 minutes. I can't even imagine having these incredibly complex novel-esque concepts that all of the "greatest albums of all time" apparently have and were envisioned by God  your favorite 4chan approved artist to play out in the most perfectly sequential, divinely guided manner which can be perfectly expressed through flowery words and pretention. 

The execution of a concept, for me anyway, is always just what truly engages you the most. Interweaving themes that link them together come about as almost unintentional and mostly subconscious. That's where the real beauty is, in my opinion. 

Thanks for the response! I genuinely complete agree with everything you've said! It's definitely an amazing website rich with 22 years of ratings, reviews and discussion but I have found myself listening to music for the purpose of giving that album a rating that can be seen by others rather than listening for my own enjoyment. That said I have been able to log what I have been listening to for the last 5 years which has allowed me to remember and revisit old releases.

The ever-changing list of "Top releases from [year]" have unfortunately become a battleground for a loud minority of users to promote their favourite artist and to strike down the favourite artists of others. I've seen people give albums low ratings in order to try to boost the position of their favourite artists' new release in the list without having listened to the album they are giving a low rating which I think is a true shame and ruins the integrity of ratings on the website. I agree with the last two things you mention too, it's a good website but maybe the scope of its users is too small and do not represent the "real" enjoyment of music.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...