IGNORED

watmm photographers

keltoi

question

shoot in colour or black and white?

i like black and white a LOT but sometimes a bit of colour i OK

or shoot in colour and change to b&w in photoshop

i just dunno

I agree with blackdust, shoot in color, well RAW preferably, so you always have the option to change your mind in PP. After shooting strictly film for a few years, the last few months I've been shooting digital and really have been missing color. What software do you use for post processing? I'd recommend you check out Lightroom if you are still looking for one.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

Congrats on your new camera, Yek.

I have the same and love the shit out of it.

yeah man, it's great. a worthy investment for sure.

Indeed. Feel free to share your thoughts and observations about the camera, Nikon glass, etc. and I will do the same!

Lately, I use two lenses for just about 98% of my needs. 50mm Nikkor F1.4, 11-16mm F2.8 Tokina, occasionally I'll use the 18-105mm VR kit lens because of its versatility.

question

i just dunno

I agree with blackdust, shoot in color, well RAW preferably, so you always have the option to change your mind in PP. After shooting strictly film for a few years, the last few months I've been shooting digital and really have been missing color. What software do you use for post processing? I'd recommend you check out Lightroom if you are still looking for one.

i use photoshop 7 because i know it so well but i've heard a lot about lightroom. is it easy enough to learn?

Yeah Lightroom is a piece of piss but really powerful too - completely revolutionised the quality of my photos. Make sure you keep the original photos though as you can easily go filter happy - It'll look great for the first few months but when you you learn to be a bit more subtle with your processing you'll look back at the photos and cringe a little.

Yeah Lightroom is a piece of piss but really powerful too - completely revolutionised the quality of my photos. Make sure you keep the original photos though as you can easily go filter happy - It'll look great for the first few months but when you you learn to be a bit more subtle with your processing you'll look back at the photos and cringe a little.

i suppose you shoot in RAW ? that's something i haven't been doing. it's good to do no?

question

i just dunno

i use photoshop 7 because i know it so well but i've heard a lot about lightroom. is it easy enough to learn?

Well Lightroom is essentially photoshop, it uses the same raw editor (Adobe's Camera Raw), just with a primary focus on post processing photos. And as a plus it does very well with organizing/building your photo library.

Well that's the beauty of it, Lightroom doesn't actually save these changes to the photo, it saves them to it's catalog file which just saves the variables of your values. So if you bump the contrast to a photo from 0 to +15 then next time you open the photo it will still have the +15 value which you can adjust again. It never overwrites the raw file.

question

i just dunno

Well Lightroom is essentially photoshop, it uses the same raw editor (Adobe's Camera Raw), just with a primary focus on post processing photos. And as a plus it does very well with organizing/building your photo library.

>Yeah Lightroom is a piece of piss but really powerful too - completely revolutionised the quality of my photos. Make sure you keep the original photos though as you can easily go filter happy - It'll look great for the first few months but when you you learn to be a bit more subtle with your processing you'll look back at the photos and cringe a little.

Well that's the beauty of it, Lightroom doesn't actually save these changes to the photo, it saves them to it's catalog file which just saves the variables of your values. So if you bump the contrast to a photo from 0 to +15 then next time you open the photo it will still have the +15 value which you can adjust again. It never overwrites the raw file.

Question:

the software that came with my camera "VIEW NX 2" is quite handy and transfers files off my camera. is lightroom an all in one thing?

Pff, tell idiot mcbpete that circa 2010 - After grading the photos I would delete the originals. I've got about 5 months of photos that look like a nuclear blast has gone off, covering everything in an orange haze (or a hipster 'polaroid' cross grade).

yek - I know loads of people say to shoot in raw but I rarely do. I've only ever done it in situations of extreme dark or extreme light just so that I have a bit more tolerance to adjust the photo in post, but 99% of the time the best quality jpeg seems to be fine. This is probably the only instance that I think really benefited from shooting raw:

3df9c67bd98d4a9aa6c6a2b9cc76b575.JPEG

(erm, those jpg artefacts aren't on the original - it's due to it being recompressed when I uploaded it to a photo sharing website)

I'm loving the Sony NEX 5R its very compact, excellent high ISO performance, has built in FX and fits in a large pocket with the pancake lens.

got the SEL 50mm f1.8 - great for low light and blurry low f shots

SEL 16mm pancake - not the best but woks well at f8+ if partnered with the fisheye (10mm) and ultra wide (12mm) adaptors

Sigma 30mm f2.8 - very sharp general purpose lens that's good value for money

Guest Adjective

I've got the 5N and also loving it.

Mostly using manual lenses on it, nikon 1.8d and a few tiny lenses from the asahi pentax auto 110. i use the nikon for lush, and the tiny pentax ones for walkin around/ vignetting/ aberrations/ etc.

also have been trying pinhole lens stuff with it, fun stuff. decided to get a lasercut bodycap for science, but it's still in the mail

• 5 months later...

After a few months of waiting for a decent price to surface on ebay, I'm finally the proud owner of one of these guys:

Widelux F7

2008042223-2.jpg

Shipping from Tokyo though, gonna be quite the wait for shipping :(

I have a Nikon D3100 which I got mainly as it shoots in 1080p and I had a friend who had one and he recommended it.

It came with 18-55mm lens which I use for photographs and I bought a load of Zeiss second hand vintage off ebay for filming.

I also have a really nice Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens which I cannot recommend enough. I use it for filming mainly and it's a great lens.

After a few months of waiting for a decent price to surface on ebay, I'm finally the proud owner of one of these guys:

Widelux F7

2008042223-2.jpg

those things are cool as hell. post pics when you get it.

3996308607_514e9b9340_z.jpg

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens which I cannot recommend enough

Definitely my most used lens to date (albeit a Canon version), so good for portrait work (or for everyday use really). A couple of mine last year using the 'nifty fifty' -

87c746e4a6ff4f8685bc334dea97fcb1.JPEG

f9000246769b4fc7a08387eb53a68803.JPEG

Widelux F7

2008042223-2.jpg

those things are cool as hell. post pics when you get it.

3996308607_514e9b9340_z.jpg

Oh I will... going to be interesting as it doesnt have any focusing mechanism, just fixed focused to 11 feet... so basically I only have my aperture to use to "focus", or zone focus. But stopped down to f11 and I have everything in focus from ~3' to infinity.

• 1 month later...

Archived