IGNORED

shackleton

Guest fiznuthian

the bongos sound fine to me. I don't know why you'd get tired of hearing bongos any more than you would tire of hearing snares or hi-hats.

maybe you're misunderstanding me. Its not just bonogs it's the SAME bongo sample that he uses repeatedly that i've heard on many stock sampling libraries. There are hundreds of other bongo samples he could be using, but he chooses to use the same ones.

I dont get the producers hatred of perfecting an electronic instrument sound and then composing with it. Classical composers didnt find the incessant need to develop an entirely new instrument every time they mastered the last one.

I understand its obviously a slightly different kettle of fish with classical, but still. I have no problem with shackleton continuing to make awesome, creepy, bassy as fuck music without deviating too much from the template hes mastered. Burial is about 16 billion times worse at it anyway and he gets his arse licked no end.

sampling the same exact single bongo hit and over and over again is not comparable at all to the use of a live acoustic instrument in an orchestra. but if thats how you see it i cant argue. I don't mind the idea of using bongo drums constantly in his tunes, i just think it only hurts and dates his music more to use the same recognizable sample on pretty much every song, the same sample all other dubstep producers use.

i just got a record from the 50s called 'how to play bongos' all Shackelton would have to do is sample maybe 20 bongo samples off this record, replace the ones in his existing songs and the songs would sound far better. Yeah call it nit picky but i just find it lazy. If i liked the sound to begin with i might not care, but i dont

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

Um Bongo!

fucking hell what i wouldnt give for an um bongo right now. not sold round these here parts.

Guest Stoppit

Um Bongo!

fucking hell what i wouldnt give for an um bongo right now. not sold round these here parts.

they drink it in the Congo, apparently

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

Um Bongo!

they drink it in the Congo, apparently

I believe it. I just found exactly what I wouldnt give for um bongo. $42 inc shipping for a pack of 10 apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting tidbit I discovered, some of the tracks on Soundboy's Suicide Note (namely The Rope Tightens, ... But The Branch Is Weak) sample an old public information film from 1973 called Lonely Water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8

some child-traumatising shit there :cerious: pretty cool source for the samples though, they make those two tracks so much creepier. "under the water there are hidden traps" /chills

Usagi, what a fantastic find! Thank-you for posting young man. I love those samples on that tune. But do I love the samples as much as Um Bongo? Woooo that's a difficult one :tongue:

• 5 months later...

Umbongo and Ramadandingdong?

Hahah, sounds fucking epic!!!!

Oooozy Booozy tropical punches served from a coconut husk (laced with mdma), sucked through helter skelter straws.

BONGODADINGDONG

Edited by beerwolf

The connection is some of his stuff puts me in that same place as shackleton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rgECQrxddY

Also does anyone know the following shackleton tune I'm describing: it starts out with a long middle eastern sounding ambient percussive loop that goes on for like 2 minutes...then this incredibly low and loud and textured sub bass comes in and rattles yo speakers. (sounds like a lot of shackleton trax really)

Holy shit

Fabric London, Saturday 25th August

Room 2 (11pm - 8am)

THE NOTHING SPECIAL

Craig Richards

Shackleton Live

Pinch

There's one big bassgasm right there, and I'm guessing Craig Richards will do a proper chunky house warm-up and probably play again at the end. There's my bank holiday sorted!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Shackleton is a crazy live performer. Saw him in an old place once, which reminded me of my days first going out to dnb stuff. It was the perfect atmosphere and he was full energy in his weird, psychedelic way. If you have the chance, go see see him live!

i cant be arsed checking the thread to see if im repeating myself, even as an absolute dark techno addict shackelton is one thoe best live sets and also producers ive ever experienced in my life.

i saw him play an early 7:30 to 9:00 love set in the glasgow art school, it was some the most creepy, atmospheric, unsettling dance music i ever heard. no-one danced. i made a tit of myself. it was unbelievable.

• 1 year later...

you know, I was listening to spanners today by the black dog, and I think shackleton definitely is inspired by the black dog. The track 'further harm' has those strange looped vocal bits that shackleton so loves to do. Another thing I want to mention, has anyone noticed that shackleton has a trademark rhythm that pretty much only he uses. People haven't quite caught onto how cool it is. It's a 4 beat figure where its like: beat-clap-beat-clap-beat-...-clap-...