IGNORED

No BoC Until 2011

Joyrex

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't annoy me that the band take so long to put their stuff out (assuming that is, that they are still even working as a band - debatable - despite what people 'claim' on here), what annoys me is people claiming they have some connection to the band.

So Joy Rex looks at the calendar (with like seven weeks until the end of the year) and proclaims " there will be no new album this year" - well, no shit. Anyone could have said that. Given the time frame, an album would have been announced back in the summer. It's just another vague, empty statement that anyone could have written. Be sure to check back here this time next year because we'll probably be treated to the same announcement. Saying that the new album will not now appear this year is like telling people the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

This is not an attack on joyrex, who runs a cool site and seems amiable enough but it's annoying to hear people coming out with statements that are transparently obvious. I challenge anyone on this forum to provide proof that they know what the guys are up to.

Neither mdg or joyrex have ever made any comment that has suggested to me that they are privy to the band's inner workings. It's always carefully worded statements that essentially boil down to nothing. Neither of them have ever said anything that has come to fruition. At least mdg has fallen mercifully silent on the subject of new material.

The proof is in the pudding and until it gets announced by Warp, all the rest is just a lot of hot air.

Funny how it wasn't an attack on me, but assumptions were made about how I supposedly came to the conclusion there would be no BoC this year. Let me further clarify:

FWIW, There's a lot that is told in confidence that is not divulged on here, and while the fanboy inside me would be the first to rush and proclaim to the masses my newfound knowledge, the realistic aspect of this is that saying too much or divulging things best kept private can do more harm than good.

I was told specifically there would be no BoC in 2010 by mdg - hence my posting here that it has been confirmed there will be no BoC in 2011, since mdg is as close to Mike and Marcus posting here themselves saying as such, or WARP issuing a statement to that effect (since WARP nor BoC have officially announced any release date in 2010, I don't feel they owe the public any statement of why it's not coming out in 2010. If new Aphex doesn't come out before the end of the year (hint: it won't), are you going to say Steve Beckett obviously is untrustworthy? Of course not.

The bottom line is, Boards of Canada is not releasing new material in 2010, despite wanting to previously do so, because of reasons best kept to them and WARP. If and when BoC decide to make public the reasons behind the delay, they will do so, but more likely, everyone will be enjoying their latest material hopefully soon, and for the vast majority of fans, it will have been worth the wait. That's not to say there will be only one BoC release in 2011, either - we don't know exactly what they have planned, and it might have taken these years to get everything together for it's eventual release.

Ah, very nice.

I was told specifically there would be no BoC in 2011 by mdg - hence my posting here that it has been confirmed there will be no BoC in 2011

so no BoC in 2010 or 2011?

edit: yes i know, it's all farcical.

i understand that it's easy to lose track with all the numbers.

(cue the cultists working out their maths)

I was told specifically there would be no BoC in 2011 by mdg - hence my posting here that it has been confirmed there will be no BoC in 2011

so no BoC in 2010 or 2011?

edit: yes i know, it's all farcical.

i understand that it's easy to lose track with all the numbers.

(cue the cultists working out their maths)

yeah, just a typo - corrected. Thanks!

well, I'm grateful for the update, so thank you Joy Rex! I was starting to just assume we'd never hear from them again. You sound very confident in a new release next year so I'm excited :)

Should I start saving money for travel to UK? because I have a hunch that they will do a live act next year :boc:

i doubt they will, for fear of being blown up

Or Kidnapped.

lol @ people waiting for boc to make some official WATMM account

I think this is what all of the hate is about. If people say they don't believe anything Joy Rex or MDG says, that can only mean Boards of Canada will have to make an account on here.

And then we'll get to ask them questions like "What were you thinking when you made Magic Window?" and "Can you mediafire me a copy of Acid Memories?"

I rarely listen to BoC in Autumn/Winter, so I'm not at all disappoint. I hope they never release anything before they feel it's absolutely ready to be released, just cause of complaining fans. I don't think they'd do that anyway so it's all cool.

Stop being dickish towards mdg please. I always appreciate the updates he gives.

who is this good authority? mdg was supposedly a good authority who said it'd be out this year. but if it's mike or marcus then that would be the good authority. :)

mdg IS a good authority - as good as it comes, really, considering who he is and his relationship with BoC - just because it was previously announced the album would be out in 2010 does not mean that unforeseen issues or other reasons we're not privy to can't (and did) change that statement.

If, for instance, you had planned on doing something, made your intentions to do said something public, and then decide (or have factors involve decide for you) not to follow through, wouldn't that be the same scenario here?

I also don't think it's quite fair for everyone to 'gang up' on mdg solely because he's Boards of Canada's proxy voice to the masses (there's an album title in there somewhere) - the fact that mdg takes the time to answer common questions, refute rumours and drop tidbits of what info he's allowed to share should give him a bit more capital with the fan community than what they're currently affording him.

yeah i can understand all that. but when November 2011 comes around and there's still no album, what then? lol

unless someone genuinely knows for a FACT that an album will be out next year i don't think they should really say anything about it.

because it's just getting fans hopes up again. and nothing might come of it again.

a similar thing has happened with Plaids' seemingly 'never-going-to-see-a-release' Scintilli album, too. imo they shouldn't of even put the name out there til it was finished and ready for mastering!

it's just like, 'hopes up, hopes smashed, hopes up, hopes smashed, hopes up, oh now for fucks sake.. ' etc. etc.

i'll believe there's a new BoC album coming when BoC themselves say something, or Warp announce it or Steve says something in an interview, or something like that..

but until then it's just more of the same speculation. which i guess is some fun to talk about for a bit, but it's also sort of pointless and a waste of energy. so i'm off out for a walk. :)

This will never live up to the hype, they've shot themselves in the foot.

i agree. and the same goes for Scintilli, unfortunately. but that has much more chance of being properly amazing than any new BoC album does, imo.

i think it will most probably be more of their same stuff. which i like, but y'know.... a 5 year wait for more of the same BoC ?.. (meh)

digging out/ building an underground hexagonal bunker for all the hexagon sun possee to survive 2012.. takes time

in minecraft? ... maybe they are addicted to minecraft and can't get work done.

i've never played minecraft before so i wouldn't know. but maybe..

thread should've been killed after fumis' post, lol. nicely summed up here, fumi :

It doesn't annoy me that the band take so long to put their stuff out (assuming that is, that they are still even working as a band - debatable - despite what people 'claim' on here), what annoys me is people claiming they have some connection to the band. 

So Joy Rex looks at the calendar (with like seven weeks until the end of the year) and proclaims " there will be no new album this year" - well, no shit. Anyone could have said that. Given the time frame, an album would have been announced back in the summer. It's just another vague, empty statement that anyone could have written. Be sure to check back here this time next year because we'll probably be treated to the same announcement. Saying that the new album will not now appear this year is like telling people the sun will rise tomorrow morning. 

This is not an attack on joyrex, who runs a cool site and seems amiable enough but it's annoying to hear people coming out with statements that are transparently obvious. I challenge anyone on this forum to provide proof that they know what the guys are up to.

Neither mdg or joyrex have ever made any comment that has suggested to me that they are privy to the band's inner workings. It's always carefully worded statements that essentially boil down to nothing. Neither of them have ever said anything that has come to fruition. At least mdg has fallen mercifully silent on the subject of new material.

The proof is in the pudding and until it gets announced by Warp, all the rest is just a lot of hot air. 

this.

Joyrex his statement is 200% correct and based upon proper information. Perhaps it's too hard for some of you to accept the fact that sometimes things just don't go as planned, but alas that's how the world spins sometimes.

there's no such thing as 200% ! see, just like a politician, you're doing it again.. talking more (BoC related) BS. (no offence but it's true) :)

who is this good authority? mdg was supposedly a good authority who said it'd be out this year. but if it's mike or marcus then that would be the good authority. :)

mdg IS a good authority - as good as it comes, really, considering who he is and his relationship with BoC - just because it was previously announced the album would be out in 2010 does not mean that unforeseen issues or other reasons we're not privy to can't (and did) change that statement.

If, for instance, you had planned on doing something, made your intentions to do said something public, and then decide (or have factors involve decide for you) not to follow through, wouldn't that be the same scenario here?

I also don't think it's quite fair for everyone to 'gang up' on mdg solely because he's Boards of Canada's proxy voice to the masses (there's an album title in there somewhere) - the fact that mdg takes the time to answer common questions, refute rumours and drop tidbits of what info he's allowed to share should give him a bit more capital with the fan community than what they're currently affording him.

yeah i can understand all that. but when November 2011 comes around and there's still no album, what then? lol

unless someone genuinely knows for a FACT that an album will be out next year i don't think they should really say anything about it.

because it's just getting fans hopes up again. and nothing might come of it again.

a similar thing has happened with Plaids' seemingly 'never-going-to-see-a-release' Scintilli album, too. imo they shouldn't of even put the name out there til it was finished and ready for mastering!

it's just like, 'hopes up, hopes smashed, hopes up, hopes smashed, hopes up, oh now for fucks sake.. ' etc. etc.

i'll believe there's a new BoC album coming when BoC themselves say something, or Warp announce it or Steve says something in an interview, or something like that..

but until then it's just more of the same speculation. which i guess is some fun to talk about for a bit, but it's also sort of pointless and a waste of energy. so i'm off out for a walk. :)

I see no reason BoC would delay releasing their album another year at this point - from the few tidbits that have been mentioned, they're in the process of getting it ready for release - for all we know, it might be virtually done and 'ready' in a state of sorts, and perhaps BoC and WARP have decided it best to push it to 2011 to better serve the album and the fans.

This is not speculation either, but the closest to 'the facts' as we are going to get until a media statement by BoC themselves addressing the issue comes out.

Joyrex his statement is 200% correct and based upon proper information. Perhaps it's too hard for some of you to accept the fact that sometimes things just don't go as planned, but alas that's how the world spins sometimes.

there's no such thing as 200% ! see, just like a politician, you're doing it again.. talking more (BoC related) BS. (no offence but it's true) :)

I think his intention was to say my statement was iron-clad and irrefutable.

well i hope you guys are right and your source is right. (it's mdg again tho isn't it? that's why you won't say who it is this time? lol ;) )

btw, i wasn't meaning to be rude to Fredd-E.. i'd like to see a new BoC album within the next 3-6-12 months. i hope it will happen and all the cynics like me will be proved wrong, like you say. and i hope it'll be right up there with MHTRTC and Geogaddi.

Guest Archrival

its weird that Boards of canada are producing some really cool/chilling music while their subforum seems to be on massive drug hyperdose. people getting angry for no reasons etc.

Its not strange at all..we need BOC to really cool down and chill, we need our boc fix or we act like massive drug hyperdose.

See, you're just doing it all over again. Wouldn't it have just been best to have not started this thread considering you couldn't make any solid contribution to it?

Joyrex, you're a nice guy and your heart's in right place I'm sure but making statements about how you're privy to the workings of the band without any evidence whatsoever just grates after a while. 

I personally don't care when they put out an album, 2011, 2012 whatever. If or when it arrives, I'm sure it will be awesome. 

As I explained in my first post, the lack of new material doesn't upset me. What does is people pretending to have some link to them without offering anything new. 

With all due respect, absolutely anyone could gave written the following:

"I see no reason BoC would delay releasing their album another year at this point - from the few tidbits that have been mentioned, they're in the process of getting it ready for release - for all we know, it might be virtually done and 'ready' in a state of sorts, and perhaps BoC and WARP have decided it best to push it to 2011 to better serve the album and the fans.

This is not speculation either, but the closest to 'the facts' as we are going to get until a media statement by BoC themselves addressing the issue comes out."

It's just a bland, open-ended statement that can be interpreted in a dozen different ways. By not tying yourself down to specifics, no one can call you on it if doesn't pan out. And yet, it's carefully worded enough so that if next year a new album does arrive, everyone will believe you were right all along because you somehow claimed you had access to the band. 

If it were me, and I really was privy to the workings of the band, I wouldn't bother posting anything unless it somehow advanced what people already knew or offered some meaningful insight. To do otherwise would just make me look like an ass. 

Apart from the fact that you're the administrator  on here, there is absolutely nothing different between a statement made by you and one made by anyone else on here because you can't back up your claims. 

Watch this:

Hey guys, Fumi here. I've been reliably informed by sources familiar with the matter that there won't be any new album this year but there might be one next year. You heard it here first. 

See how easy it is? And how annoyingly meaningless and empty it is  too? It contributes nothing and makes me look like an idiot. 

Archived