IGNORED

No BoC Until 2011

Joyrex

mdg was supposedly a good authority who said it'd be out this year. but if it's mike or marcus then that would be the good authority. :)

unintentional untrue promise. unforeseen circumstances. inevitable delays.

that would be all well and good, had someone held up their hands and said "hey sorry people, there is a delay, i rescind my statements regarding an album coming out this year".

but no. no-one did. and those people who claim to have ties to people who are in the know, have kept defending those statements.

in retrospect, lol

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who is this good authority? mdg was supposedly a good authority who said it'd be out this year. but if it's mike or marcus then that would be the good authority. :)

mdg IS a good authority - as good as it comes, really, considering who he is and his relationship with BoC - just because it was previously announced the album would be out in 2010 does not mean that unforeseen issues or other reasons we're not privy to can't (and did) change that statement.

If, for instance, you had planned on doing something, made your intentions to do said something public, and then decide (or have factors involve decide for you) not to follow through, wouldn't that be the same scenario here?

I also don't think it's quite fair for everyone to 'gang up' on mdg solely because he's Boards of Canada's proxy voice to the masses (there's an album title in there somewhere) - the fact that mdg takes the time to answer common questions, refute rumours and drop tidbits of what info he's allowed to share should give him a bit more capital with the fan community than what they're currently affording him.

mdg was supposedly a good authority who said it'd be out this year. but if it's mike or marcus then that would be the good authority. :)

unintentional untrue promise. unforeseen circumstances. inevitable delays.

that would be all well and good, had someone held up their hands and said "hey sorry people, there is a delay, i rescind my statements regarding an album coming out this year".

but no. no-one did. and those people who claim to have ties to people who are in the know, have kept defending those statements.

in retrospect, lol

Since there wasn't a media statement on when the BoC album would be released (WARP or BoC themselves) and it was a statement offered by an official of the band, I don't think they were required (although I do concede it would have made things clearer) to issue any sort of statement contrary to that.

You also must appreciate there is more going on here than what we've been privy to (even us with connections to those 'in the know'), so issuing a statement on any sort of change in plans may not have been possible for a multitude of reasons.

An interesting message told by another person's still an interesting message.

Defending until being told otherwise. Joyrex his post above sums it up in a great manner.

Most of the disappointment stems from the near-obsessive speculation and rumor spreading that happens over at the BoC forum. Usually it's just in good fun but it can get taken way too seriously as well. MDG did ignite a spark by saying 2010. But lots of that boctober nonsense happens every fall regardless.

Maybe if there was more to say, BoC would actually have a little more public presence. It sucks because they don't play live like some of the other featured artists here. So it leaves fans wondering what they are up to. At least with RDJ for example, people can go over his live sets and see if he dropped any mysterious or new tracks. And you know he's still active. He even did that interview, but that is a rare occasion. Yea BoC is active too but there's no real way to tell unless you dig for some obscure MDG post.

I really couldn't care less.

edit: thats not true, I could. But realistically its not worth thinking about. This will never live up to the hype, they've shot themselves in the foot.

digging out/ building an underground hexagonal bunker for all the hexagon sun possee to survive 2012.. takes time

in minecraft? ... maybe they are addicted to minecraft and can't get work done.

Fair play to mdg, without his input the fanboi speculation probably would've gotten even more ridiculous than it sometimes has been. But I can't see why it's such a big deal that they haven't explained their silence and no-show anymore. It's not some massive service to the whole of mankind that's been promised, just another record to make a couple of glorified Scottish squatters even more cash for themselves and their little 'creative' Kibbutz.

This will never live up to the hype, they've shot themselves in the foot.

I totally agree.

digging out/ building an underground hexagonal bunker for all the hexagon sun possee to survive 2012.. takes time

in minecraft? ... maybe they are addicted to minecraft and can't get work done.

i think you're onto something.

Guest extherium

I'm kinda hoping any new release isn't a remastered collection of some of their earlier stuff. Hearing stuff we've already heard - only now in a better bitrate - would be a disappointment after such a long period of time.

As long as it's something completely unheard, I'd be happy whenever they release it.

The longer they wait, the less sales WARP gets if it's a collection of oldies. It's as simple as that. That's why you have all the record companies doing re-releases these days of back catalogues. Because in not so long, there will be no profit to be made from those CD releases. So if it's a "bocset", they can't just sit on it and expect WARP to guarantee an X number of sales to their distributors/investors/whatever else.

I guess at some point, there is a return on investment that pressures the "big 4" to release something. They are contracted to do so. Except Richard, who can take the piss I guess?

BOC don't owe us anything

Signing a contract with Warp = owing something. To be blunt about it.

They owe WARP, not the public.

If they decide to just hold onto it and not release it, then sure, I guess.

Damn.

Guest Backson

But regarding what you say about them not owing fans anything, yeah i think to an extent they do, if many fans have bought their records then they kinda do, sort of

no, they don't.

It doesn't annoy me that the band take so long to put their stuff out (assuming that is, that they are still even working as a band - debatable - despite what people 'claim' on here), what annoys me is people claiming they have some connection to the band.

So Joy Rex looks at the calendar (with like seven weeks until the end of the year) and proclaims " there will be no new album this year" - well, no shit. Anyone could have said that. Given the time frame, an album would have been announced back in the summer. It's just another vague, empty statement that anyone could have written. Be sure to check back here this time next year because we'll probably be treated to the same announcement. Saying that the new album will not now appear this year is like telling people the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

This is not an attack on joyrex, who runs a cool site and seems amiable enough but it's annoying to hear people coming out with statements that are transparently obvious. I challenge anyone on this forum to provide proof that they know what the guys are up to.

Neither mdg or joyrex have ever made any comment that has suggested to me that they are privy to the band's inner workings. It's always carefully worded statements that essentially boil down to nothing. Neither of them have ever said anything that has come to fruition. At least mdg has fallen mercifully silent on the subject of new material.

The proof is in the pudding and until it gets announced by Warp, all the rest is just a lot of hot air.

Guest dilbthelame

Neither mdg or joyrex have ever made any comment that has suggested to me that they are privy to the band's inner workings. It's always carefully worded statements that essentially boil down to nothing. Neither of them have ever said anything that has come to fruition. At least mdg has fallen mercifully silent on the subject of new material.

The proof is in the pudding and until it gets announced by Warp, all the rest is just a lot of hot air. 

given the amount of fanboidom going around here i'm totally not surprised that whoever does make these statements is given their fair degree of privacy

So Joy Rex looks at the calendar (with like seven weeks until the end of the year) and proclaims " there will be no new album this year" - well, no shit. Anyone could have said that. Given the time frame, an album would have been announced back in the summer. It's just another vague, empty statement that anyone could have written. Be sure to check back here this time next year because we'll probably be treated to the same announcement. Saying that the new album will not now appear this year is like telling people the sun will rise tomorrow morning. 

yeah.

MUCH love to joyrex :) , but "no boc until 2011" was a bit of a "well, duh" moment ! :P

And yet again another load of cynism/hostility in this thread. No wonder MDG himself keeps silent on the matter.

Joyrex his statement is 200% correct and based upon proper information. Perhaps it's too hard for some of you to accept the fact that sometimes things just don't go as planned, but alas that's how the world spins sometimes.

In the end all of you will be proven wrong, but until then everyone is allowed to be as cynical as he or she likes I guess. Meh.

But that's just my whole point. Nothing  can ever be proven because no-one on here (despite claiming otherwise) has any connection to the band. Mdg has spent the last three or four years on here as the self-appointed voice of the band with only a hexagon sun email address to give him credibility. 

Saying that everyone will be proven wrong is just another hollow statement. No-one can either deride or applaud your statement because, like all the other things that have been said, it lacks any substance whatsoever. 

Please understand that I'm not trolling or attempting to attack any individual personally but until the day someone actually offers even the tiniest detail about any forthcoming new material that actually turns out to be true, then  it's still all conjecture. 

Just saying things like, "it's coming. You'll all be proven wrong" is about as useful a statement as a chocolate tea pot. 

Anyway, that's more than enough out of me. Probably pissed a few people off by now anyway. 

But that's just my whole point. Nothing  can ever be proven because no-one on here (despite claiming otherwise) has any connection to the band. Mdg has spent the last three or four years on here as the self-appointed voice of the band with only a hexagon sun email address to give him credibility.

incorrect

Archived