IGNORED

MP3: V0 or 320?

Guest ruiagnelo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

Funny thread to pop up now; I've spent the last three days ripping my entire CD collection as FLAC and deleting the mp3s....

with hard drive space being so cheap these days i still don't understand Flac, i'd rather use wave or Aiff, more convenient to rip to this format and to read it. Lots of host sequencer programs & media players can't read or write flac, most cd burning programs can't burn flac to an audio cd. saving 50% of space doesn't seem worth it to me for the inconvenience of the format.

Maybe some flac users here can convert with me...?

with hard drive space being so cheap these days i still don't understand Flac, i'd rather use wave or Aiff, more convenient to rip to this format and to read it. Lots of host sequencer programs & media players can't read or write flac, most cd burning programs can't burn flac to an audio cd. saving 50% of space doesn't seem worth it to me for the inconvenience of the format.

Maybe some flac users here can convert with me...?

You cant tag wav as I found out. That pretty bollox

i was never a big fan of tagging anyways, i feel like an old man with tagging it's always irritating to me to make my own tags. keep trying to convince me though im sure there's gotta be a couple more compelling reasons i'm missing.

(edit: i do tag mp3s though, however if i reserved only a part of my library for high quality files, flac or wave i wouldn't care if those were tagged or not since my Ipod wouldn't play them anyways)

i was never a big fan of tagging anyways, i feel like an old man with tagging it's always irritating to me to make my own tags. keep trying to convince me though im sure there's gotta be a couple more compelling reasons i'm missing.

i say that the benefits of having the extra space allowed by the use of FLAC outweighs the fact that i have to use something such as VLC to play my digital files (or convert to another format if used with some device that doesn't support FLAC).

you say that the benefits of using WAV or AIFF files outweighs the fact that you get more space to use for music when using FLAC, because you don't necessarily have to mess around with converting file formats.

poetatoe, putato

wtf??? you don't tag?? how do you live with yourself , i would kill myself if a had an untagged/unorganized library.

i do with mp3s and the like, i'm just saying that if i were to use a format as large sized as flac i'd move to waves because all the programs i currently use on the mac (Toast-cd burning, Cubase/Logic-audioediting/musicmaking, Itunes-cdripping) do not support flac . I think the only one that does support it is VLC. I suppose i could find a whole new suite of progs to use to revolve around my flac hobby.

Been a LoooooonG time since i was on a Mac but have to second the apple lossless suggestion if you have compatibility issues - honestly, I thought the format sounded great, even though the files seem a little smaller than a "lossless" file should be. *shrugs* If I had an iPOD and not a Cowon, would probably go that route.

^ Lossless is Lossless , don't be a fool.

even though the files seem a little smaller than a "lossless" file should be. *shrugs* If I had an iPOD and not a Cowon, would probably go that route.

What are you talking about ??? , i have done some testing after reading your comment and the file size is pretty much the same.

Apple Lossless uses only 1 level of compression , FLAC has like 9 (0-8) , the lower the level the larger the size of the file , maybe you were using a low level of compression when you compared those two.

Archived