IGNORED

Who owns Aphex Twin?

Guest KarakasaMusic

Guest AlexPallas

here's some interview excerpts from the magazine Groove, what would you make of this?:

What does WARP Records mean to you today?

"(laughs) Not that much. The difference between them and any other record label is getting

less, that's why I won't release any new releases on WARP in the future."

So why do you release your new double album "Drukqs" on WARP?

"Uumm, that's a good question though. I'm somehow in a contract that says I have to

release on their label. But I don't have any problem with that, so it's no big deal.

Me and Squarepusher are starting our own record label now. I did these acid remixes

("2 Remixes by AFX", MEN 1). That's our first release."

As you started working with WARP you signed a contract for six albums, right?

"I should have given them two or three albums - I can't remember. Before I gave this album

to them I said: 'When I am going to give you this album, you have to let me go." (laughs)

I thought they would say: 'No fucking way. We sue you!'"

What does that mean?

"I didn't give them an album in 3 years now. I told them: 'OK, I give you an double album

but then you have to let me release my other stuff on my own label.' And they just said:

'OK'. I also tried to talk to Warner Bros (Richard's record label in Japan and the US) as

well but they weren't that easy to persuade. I told them something like: 'I want to do

Aphex Twin on Rephlex.". But they just said: 'No way. we bought you, we own you.' We

discussed it a lot. I said: 'If you don't say yes you ain't getting anything in future

from me.' And they said: 'Alright, then we just don't get anything from you.' I'm allowed

to use AFX on Rephlex so I just focus on this."

does anyone have the downlow on Richard's 'name' situation

I don't know if the above lends any truth to it - Richard would say something like that to stir up the fanboys...

It might be true, though, considering the only Rephlex release with the name "aphex twin" on it is the Analord 10 disc that comes with the binder - and it was less than 1000 copies, so it sort of skirts the copyright/trademark issue (typically I've heard that 1000 copies or less is enough to fly under the legal radar of using uncleared samples, etc. - this might apply to artist monikers as well).

Guest 1001 0

aw, fuckin 'ell.. dont get me started...

why the fuck should he make another druqks?

he is not snares you know.. making same things all over again-

:excl:

Guest IdironBoomtracks
aw, fuckin 'ell.. dont get me started...

why the fuck should he make another druqks?

he is not snares you know.. making same things all over again-

:excl:

you and your opinions suck.

Guest IdironBoomtracks

what once im old and bitter? making tirelessly snide sarcasm on the internet about whatever infernal incarnation of drill'n'bass the kids are listening to nowadays?

Er, YEAH. 2 remixes by AFX is on it and the re-release of analogue bubblebath 3.1 (I think). That's about it though. Apparently Squarepusher went bonkers or something and Aphex hasn't heard from him in 6 months or some shit like that. So it's fizzled out now I guess....

I can't remember, just some interview with Aphex I think. Found it on the web somewhere. Aphex just said something like, Tom's gone a bit insane lately and I can never get hold of him. Think he mentioned that nobody's heard from him in ages and they're all a bit worried.....

Guest AlexPallas

i think the label you're referring to is MEN which has only two releases i believe: Smojphace EP and 2 Remixes by AFX

Richard owns AFX, Warner owns Aphex Twin, legally. Until they can come to a compromise or the deal runs out he'll probably have to release as AFX or some other pseudonym.

And why would he make a Drukqz II? I mean, the first one was more of a compilation of random works, so a true sequel that was planned to be a sequel to Drukqz really wouldn't be a sequel at all.

Guest AlexPallas
Richard owns AFX, Warner owns Aphex Twin, legally. Until they can come to a compromise or the deal runs out he'll probably have to release as AFX or some other pseudonym.

how do you know when the deal runs out? it probably has more to do with a number of required releases more that a time factor. btw i wonder if Warp had to pay Aphex systems to use the name...

Drukqs II would be rad tho...

Archived