IGNORED

Watmmopolis Next Steps

zazen

re: Watmmopolis: http://watmmopolis.blogspot.com/

Story so far: 2 and a bit years of EKT herding to construct a WATMM Soundtrack to Metropolis, currently housed on YouTube.

Next steps: Convert to high quality video and audio, then distribute as ISO download

I have a DVD of metropolis that I'm going to chop into carefully sized pieces ....

Things I Need Help With:

A: Advice on Software Stack

I have various bits of free video ripping and editing equipment (DVDX, VirtualDub, etc).

But I need advice on how to:

- rip the video from DVD

- chop it up

- add the music

- put it back together with groovy new DVD menus

*without* converting the video through multiple formats too many times. Ideally I'd like to work with the raw DVD data (whatever format thats in - some sort of mpeg right?) without converting to any other formats or bitrates, to preserve as much quality as possible.

So please suggest Free tools that can help me with this.

B: Get WAVS of all audio contributions

I have WAVs of some of the sequences but not all of them - I'll post a list here of the ones I need WAVS for

edit: these are the bits that I have as mp3 but not as WAV:

seq02 (stenotic)

seq04 (modey)

seq05 (Margaret Thatcher)

seq09 (Xiqhhyiecryn)

seq10 (Lascaille)

seq12 (Soundwave)

seq14 (Kcinsu)

seq16 (adjective)

seq17 (Amorphous Humphrey Plugg)

seq21 (braintree)

seq22 (stenotic)

seq23 (Xenocrates)

C: Does someone want to 'design' the DVD menus?

That would be cool. Presumably it'll have to be done in the same software stack that I'm using, so this kinda depends on how the answers to (a) come out.

edit: this is kind of optional, cos it'll slow the process down, as analogue pointed out.

D: Why dont we get someone to do a WATMM credits sequence to go after the original credits?

This could be a new piece of music - about 1 or 2 minutes, with some credits.

Sounds like fun - but how do we decide who gets to do it?

Maybe we should have some nominations and then a poll.

edit: this is kind of optional, cos it'll slow the process down, as analogue pointed out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

No offence meant, but you're making this a lot harder in your head than it actually is.

1. Rip DVD video

2. Open Sony Vegas and import video file + wavs

3. Slide wavs back and forth until they align to video

4. Render to popular internet video format at high quality settings

5. Chuck file on rapidshare

I don't think anyone is expecting a DVD menu or extra music for end credits or anything. Those things will just drag the whole process out even longer.

The version you want is the 2002 restoration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29#Restorations_and_re-releases

I don't understand why you keep going on about chopping the video up. That's not necessary.

Well, OK, chopping it up is the same as aligning the wavs

edit: and I'm thinking of replacing the youtube vids with versions that dont have the timestamp

But what you propose would indeed be quicker than the full on dvd menu extravaganza.

But if this thing is going to be released onto the torrentverse it would be nice to do it with all the trimmings so that the artists get proper credit etc

and dvd menus would help people find the differnt bits

but I'm open to suggestions

• 5 months later...
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Metropolis has been released on Blu Ray finally. There is no reason to use DVD quality video. Use Blu Ray quality video to put it together and then we can put it on youtube with divx pro quality compression and people with fast internet can bump that shit up to 720 or 1080p. We can distribute in like 720p with like a 4 gig really nicely compressed MKV or AVI. Also will still have the option to downscale it down to 480p DVDs for the scrubs that want that.

Someone who actually has good experience with video editing, encoding and compression should manage this. It wouldn't be hard to do this right and have a lot of quality options for distribution and viewing.

• 5 months later...
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

:facepalm:

I've concluded that all people that really love music are inherently fucking lazy procrastinators. Some fight this flaw better than others.

Are all the files collected somewhere? That would be a good first step, so whenever somebody has the time and will to do this, it's all ready to start. I might even do it myself if all the wavs are available somewhere.

Ok, I'm back on it. First thing is to get the WAVs (I have WAVs for about half of the thing, but mp3 for the other half)

Am emailing these people to get wavs ...

seq02 (stenotic)

seq04 (modey)

seq05 (Margaret Thatcher)

seq09 (Xiqhhyiecryn)

seq10 (Lascaille)

seq12 (Soundwave)

seq14 (Kcinsu)

seq16 (adjective)

seq17 (Amorphous Humphrey Plugg)

seq21 (braintree)

seq22 (stenotic)

seq23 (Xenocrates)

Metropolis has been released on Blu Ray finally. There is no reason to use DVD quality video. Use Blu Ray quality video to put it together and then we can put it on youtube with divx pro quality compression and people with fast internet can bump that shit up to 720 or 1080p. We can distribute in like 720p with like a 4 gig really nicely compressed MKV or AVI. Also will still have the option to downscale it down to 480p DVDs for the scrubs that want that.

Someone who actually has good experience with video editing, encoding and compression should manage this. It wouldn't be hard to do this right and have a lot of quality options for distribution and viewing.

Are all the files collected somewhere? That would be a good first step, so whenever somebody has the time and will to do this, it's all ready to start. I might even do it myself if all the wavs are available somewhere.

Yeah good points, I'd be happy (in theory) to hand it all over to someone else.

Whats holding me back is that I'm not sure people explicitly agreed to having WAV versions out in the open.

Although I guess most people would be cool with that.

I'll see if I can get everyone to agree to have some suitable creative commons license slapped on their contributions

Then we can basically open-source the project and people can match it up to blu-ray or whatever.

• 1 year later...

I was just aching to watch this in better resolution in my home cinema. Do it for the children.

• 5 years later...

zazen

Member Since 16 Nov 2005
OFFLINE Last Active Feb 02 2018 03:30 PM

Well, he'll be back eventually, I guess. Did you PM him?

Jesus.. this was a while ago.

Hope you don't need my track again, no idea where it is!

edit: if you do have/find it, please credit to Italianz

Archived