IGNORED

Game of Thrones

data

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to stay away from leaks so far, watched episode 5 last night. Would appreciate no leaked info on here!

tyrian is not a midget but a normal size person in a giant world 

this season is moving way too fast. compared to the pace of previous seasons they are absolutely rushing thru stuff now and i think the show is suffering for it. it's a shame because we are really getting to all the things that people have been waiting to see for years.

don't know what the actual reason is for the shortened final 2 seasons but it must be for practical (meaning financial) reasons rather than artistic because it certainly isn't doing the story any favors.

I think the shortened seasons are just to milk the show’s popularity. Has has nothing to replace it next year otherwise. I’d bet quite a few HBO Now and cable subscribers will cancel once GOT is over.

this season is moving way too fast. compared to the pace of previous seasons they are absolutely rushing thru stuff now and i think the show is suffering for it. it's a shame because we are really getting to all the things that people have been waiting to see for years.

don't know what the actual reason is for the shortened final 2 seasons but it must be for practical (meaning financial) reasons rather than artistic because it certainly isn't doing the story any favors.

the most common theory behind this I've seen is that the showrunners are basically just tired of it. They signed on with the specific intent of adapting an already existing work (and more specifically, to film the Red Wedding) and once they realized George wasn't going to be done with the next volume they just started sprinting to the end. otherwise why even announce they were starting work on another show before they even shoot season "8"? 

rather this than some half hearted drawn out bullshit which would never get close to what the actual stuff would be. i think they're making most of whats possible.

also, all this rushing through the story provides room for there to be an actual story whenever the books will be released. even if the story would be different in places, i doubt it will be completely, unrecognisably different. in other words: some things might have been "spoilered" for future readers. but in this scenario, the books have plenty holes to fill and keep it interesting.

in other words: to me it makes sense

yeah this is true. I don't care that much though. It does make the plot feel disjointed if you keep thinking about how many weeks or months must have passed between scenes for things to have progressed so quickly. But it also means the episodes have less filler, and the filler scenes in previous seasons were really weak, so I think this makes it more fun to watch. Hopefully the books actually come out and we get a more coherent story to go with it, but for now I'm enjoying the show a lot for what it is.

Yeah that episode was extremely bad. lol. Kinda making me question my previous statement. Oh well, even if it's a trainwreck it'll be a pretty one.

Actors are getting expensive, thus they are winding the show down. The break-neck pace this season has gone is such a contrast to how slow the previous seasons were. Seems Benioff and Weiss are hacks. Could have paced the show differently instead of following the glacial pace of the books until they caught up to the fatman's books and now are going from, what seems, to be thinnest of outlines provided by Martin to wrap it up. Feels very fan-servicey. 

Apparently the 8th season plot points have leaked, dunno how legit they are, but the 7th season leaked plots have all shown to be true, so who knows. If the leaks are true...then oh boy what garbage.

pretty much non escalating episode compared to last season finale. Had to check several times if this is really to season finale but the last scene wrapped it up quite nicely

Havent seen the episode yet, but if this was a snore fest of non escalating proportions, i'm guessing some people should be happy again. Because it's back to being glacial instead of fast. ;)

Havent seen the episode yet, but if this was a snore fest of non escalating proportions, i'm guessing some people should be happy again. Because it's back to being glacial instead of fast. ;)

I wouldn't say snore fest it was rather plot than action driven

I've watched this show since the beginning. This has been the only season I didn't really enjoy. I know it's fantasy but the whole thing was silly. Plots that made no sense. Pacing that was just way too fast. Characters behaving in ways that went against everything the series originally built on - not to mention the ability to fly the length of Westeros and cross the seas in a matter of minutes. Just stupid.

Special effects were the only stand out this time round.

rather this than some half hearted drawn out bullshit which would never get close to what the actual stuff would be. i think they're making most of whats possible.

also, all this rushing through the story provides room for there to be an actual story whenever the books will be released. even if the story would be different in places, i doubt it will be completely, unrecognisably different. in other words: some things might have been "spoilered" for future readers. but in this scenario, the books have plenty holes to fill and keep it interesting.

in other words: to me it makes sense

yeah I'm resigned to this as well...trudging through endless seasons seems worse in a way

is there any spinoff series possibilities? I would readily watch one off seasons about certain weird ass far flung places like Asshai. 

Special effects were the only stand out this time round.

they really did carry many of the episodes - I was quite moved by the Dragon sequences TBH

I've watched this show since the beginning. This has been the only season I didn't really enjoy. I know it's fantasy but the whole thing was silly. Plots that made no sense. Pacing that was just way too fast. Characters behaving in ways that went against everything the series originally built on - not to mention the ability to fly the length of Westeros and cross the seas in a matter of minutes. Just stupid.

They didn't really have much choice other than to cram as much plot into a small number of episodes, they only had two season to finish the entire story off, and they don't have control over the overall story (despite the ability to cut a few unnecessary side plots from the books, it's going to have to follow the major events pretty closely). And that's why it now takes about six hours to travel anywhere in Westeros, regardless of mode of transport or any other considerations. It's a bit silly, but it's a fantasy tv show with dragons in, so who gives a fuck really? If they had been able to get the budget to extend these last two seasons by 3-4 episodes, and also tack on an additional 2 seasons on top of that (including signing up actors that were unwilling to commit for that period of time, or who were looking for exorbitant amounts of money to do so), then they might have been able to do this perfectly, but that just wasn't going to happen, so with that in mind I think they've done a really good job.

Last episode was pretty good, not the best of the season (which was episode four), more focused on the moving the plot along with some much needed exposition and loose-end-tieing. Overall a very enjoyable season, like I said given the constraints they were working with it's about as good as it could have been, and it paid off with the stuff they put all the effort into working brilliantly. The nature of how the show panned out is also working out well for the book, if it ever fucking comes out, with so much detail cut from the show and most of the major plot reveals already obvious to anyone paying attention there wasn't actually a huge amount of spoilers in the show, so I imagine reading it will still feel pretty fresh.

Archived