IGNORED

The Black Dog

chassis

Guest ruiagnelo

i think Joy Rex might be a tad exhausted of the recent sub-forum affairs

definitely. if he is, i understand why.

but when it comes to TBD subforum, there is no reason for him to be.

there was a poll, maybe a thread or two about it, and the discussion went through with logical arguments from both sides.

personally, i think the current TBD doesn't deserve its own subforum, and this is nothing related to their music's quality, but they simply don't have enough activity/relevance, from my point of view.

but it is also strange to discuss early black dog in Plaid's subforum, even considering they were 2/3 of it. seems like we are giving Plaid a little bit of extra relevance.

but this thread kind of solves the problem, and i suggest we keep updating it and post everything black dog related.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

Balil is a beast really, like boxingday said.

the man really has that special touch, talent.

someone here at WATMM said something about a Balil LP that had been planned. any info on this?

because i am telling you, that would be instantly my favorite record of all time.

Ed if you read this, please make this man happy :sorcerer:

dunno if you guys know this stuff, but boredrom included it in his original upload of the unreleased and rarities tape. there are a couple of texts related to the history of TBD, including a bio written by Ken, that mysteriously vanished from their webpage some time ago.

That was a good read. The dream he had about that Egyptian god explains a lot.

(I kind of loled when Ed and Andy said they wanted to do light jazz)

Guest ruiagnelo

i am reading this again.

pretty incredible how they took such a huge risk pressing the first twelves and spreading them.

they sure were desperate

I'd like to know why Plaid left in the first place and refused to work on the third and last of the 3 Black Dog albums they'd signed up to make with Warp, leaving Ken to do it all on his own...

I thought everybody knew this. Cause Ed and Andy are pretty easy going guys and Ken can be, uhhhhh.... "difficult" at times. Highly opinionated and set in his ways. I gather the best and worst part about the guy is that he seems non-compromising.

....but wtf do i know? only met Ed and Andy but not Ken.

Guest ruiagnelo

at some point, in ken's text he says:

All of us had to get part time jobs, which meant we had less time for music. It was a horrible period. Ed and Andy ended up virtually giving their best material away to every leech with a label just to pay their rent, it seemed really unfair, as our music was transcending boundaries.

what does it really mean, 'giving'?

All of us had to get part time jobs, which meant we had less time for music. It was a horrible period. Ed and Andy ended up virtually giving their best material away to every leech with a label just to pay their rent, it seemed really unfair, as our music was transcending boundaries.

I took that to mean, selling themselves short.

Guest ruiagnelo

just noticed something very interesting,

in the email titled as 'the black dog - a discography', bytes is mentioned as having 12 tracks.

when released it had 11 only.

shit i want that other track

noticed another interesting thing as well:

the same email about the discog lists amongst the others, the following:

CND002 - The CND Ambient Collection

i searched on discogs, and found this

probably stupid, but it is labeled as techno. is it really what i am thinking?!

You could buy it and find out. 1 quid like.

According to this, Aytipic is actually a monkier of Ken's? Is that right?

I thought it was Andy.

It's got to be Andy because a bunch of old Atypic stuff ended up on Plaid's Trainer. They wouldn't have released Ken's stuff.

Guest ruiagnelo

According to this, Aytipic is actually a monkier of Ken's? Is that right?

I thought it was Andy.

It's got to be Andy because a bunch of old Atypic stuff ended up on Plaid's Trainer. They wouldn't have released Ken's stuff.

yes, i agree with this.

and judging by Balil's style, Atypic sounds very Andy

Cheers for the link ruiagnelo, i'll give it a read when I have time.

I think the great thing about the older black dog stuff was that it referred to other worlds and other times, it was so culturally diverse. One minute your sharp shooting on saturn, the next minute you're in ancient greece, or riding amongst the mongol hordes.

And I'm not just glorifying their choice in track names here, you can really feel those ancient cultures within the music, even if the track name first triggers your imagination.

The new black dog are much more focussed, and they seem to be only interested in dealing with contemporary matters... its all modern techno that reflects social, political and spiritual standards of today.

I like both, but their old stuff inspires me more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ2MJq7Lb8g

omg, this thread has become so full of bullshit already! *clenches fist and rolls a spliff* lol

SPD.. *fist to heart to you, bro* :)

giving tracks to people to release and getting fuck all back by way of payment for that music. they were pretty much skint all the time til after they signed to Warp.. which Ken says was down to Ed and Andy, so.. like i said before, no Ed & Andy, no 'Bytes'. literally. sucking on beans and old dog ends.

Archived