IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I can't get enough of HM2-based metal in that fast punk/grind style. can peeps please recommend more. I'm currently on a Magrudergrind spree.

i went to a metal festival for a day i'm still buzzing! I only saw like 3 things and my wife got our bag of weed nicked by security lol, but thank god my friends had plenty more

Dillinger escape plan was fuckin AWESOME, they butchered that whole tent into pieces! i honestly can't understand the hate of "metalheads" for this band cause if they would have seen em their dicks would have been blown off!!

i had to rush then with my wife to see Emperor on the mainstage (!) who played the whole "athems to the welkin at dusk" album (wich i love to death but the mixing/mastering on that cd is absolute SHIT). was about in the middle of the crowd and unfortunattly the sound was shit asswell cause the wind blew the music away and the music was 2 quiet were we stood :cry:

now the main act was RAMMSTEIN and i know all the singles but i wasn't too hot for em but god fucking damnit!  it was the best live show i saw IN MY WHOLE LIFE, that sound blew the shit out of my skull, fuck me, it was amazing :diablo:

went to the metal market, flipped some records and by god there was a KRAFTWERK keyholder in an empy cd case, 7friggin euros but so worth it !! :biggrin:eAzXafQ.jpg

Two things that popped up today that are both worth mentioning:

New Goatwhore sounds like it could be good. Song starts out good but sorta just runs through the motions after that. 

New Cloakroom, who I've never heard of, sounds fucking amazing. Definitely more on the lighter side of 'metal' but still very much stoner/space metal vibes that just gives me tingles

I can't get enough of HM2-based metal in that fast punk/grind style. can peeps please recommend more. I'm currently on a Magrudergrind spree.

Not updated on the current HM2 scene, but there's always Nails. (Plus of course all the old Swedish stuff. BUTT OFF COARSE.)

I've rinsed out Nails' entire discography. in fact, that was where my obsession with this particular sound started, literally with this track which I stumbled upon on YT while looking up an obscure Miles Whittaker (Demdike Stare) solo project under the same name of Suum Cuique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXd8DVlGvsY

who else is there in the OG Swedish cohort that I should be educated about besides Entombed?

who else is there in the OG Swedish cohort that I should be educated about besides Entombed?

Strictly Sunlight/HM2 speaking there's at least Dismember, Nirvana 2002, Bloodbath, Grotesque and Therion. Probably Murder Squad too.  And even the first Darkthrone album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_death_metal

Precursors[edit]

Unlike American groups, the Swedish death metal scene's earliest originators were influenced by punk rock, especially the D-beat hardcore punk scene.[1][2] Bathory, who would subsequently become a primary influence for the black metal scene, were a pivotal group in Swedish extreme metal.[3] In the early 1990s, two death metal scenes emerged in Gothenburg and Stockholm. The first wave of "Swedish death metal" consisted of the bands Carnage, Morbid and Nihilist, who fragmented later into EntombedDismember and Unleashed. Many of these bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone.[citation needed] It was created by using heavily detuned electric guitars (usually C# standard or lower), a maxed out Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, sometimes in combination with a single guitar through a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The originator of this guitar sound was Nihilist guitarist Leffe Cuzner, though it was evolved and altered over the years.[4] Newer bands playing in the "old school" Swedish style include Bloodbath,[5] Paganizer[citation needed] and Repugnant.[6] According to Stewart Mason of AllMusic, the "increasingly melodic" style of Swedish death metal combines the post-hardcore aggression and guttural vocals of black metal with melodic and technically proficient guitar lines.[7]

Gothenburg scene[edit]

Main article: Gothenburg metal

Later, Swedish and Finnish bands used grindcore-based riffs and began adding progressive rock influences, and the scene moved from Stockholm to Gothenburg.[citation needed] The Gothenburg sound, (also known as melodic death metal, or melodeath),[8] propelled by both the Boss HM-2 heavy metal with cleaner recordings and melded with new wave of British heavy metal guitar lines, was pioneered by bands such as At the GatesDark Tranquillity, and In Flames for their respective albums: Slaughter of the SoulThe Gallery and The Jester Race.[9]

Other groups to have emerged from the Swedish death metal scene include Scar SymmetryHypocrisyTiamatArch EnemySoilworkMeshuggahAmon AmarthEdge of SanityOpethDesultoryCemetaryAvatar and The Haunted.[10]

For Swedish death metal, here's a gem. Seance. 

Also this death metal band Skeletal from Finland is pretty ace.