IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I think that new Earth album is ok. It needs Mark Lanegan vocals or something, like on Primitive And Deadly. An hour of Earth doing their usual desert soundtrack instrumentals gets a bit samey and bland without a little more flavor IMO

• 2 weeks later...

I need to make time for that new Earth album and the last DsO :/

as a black metal neophyte, it's taken me years to grasp the sound (often with the help of some people on this board - Ivan, others) and come to terms with the music in spite of some of the horrible people in the scene (some, and an increasingly small proportion I would like to think). with this though, I think I've hit some kind of singularity:

holy fuck, this is my sound. especially track 3.

I'd heard Exercises in Futility before this and I love that but it somehow seems less forward-thinking than this. Exercises sounds more like a traditional black metal album whereas this has something else going on, more experimenting with different rhythms/ideas. this is definitely the best-sounding BM I've heard in terms of production, super expansive and atmospheric. amazing drumming/drum sound.

of course I say that I'm hoping there are less shitty people behind the music these days and then allegations about Mgla's past/associates come to light... ffs. I'd like to think they've moved on since then but fuck knows. the music is too good to let go of though.

also enjoying this blackened grind or grinding black or deathened crust or "war metal" or whatever the fuck cheesy name people give it:

I can't recall how I discovered them, don't think I saw anyone itt post about them, but I love it. fucking weirdest drum sound ever, the snares sound like someone punching a wad of cardboard.

• Like 1

Glad to see you back usagi
I saw mgla and revenge at the same show like a month ago in belgium, they both burned the house down, it was amazing! Politics in black metal is the worst thing, fuck that shit. Satan destroys everyone

both in one night, sheeeeeeit.mov

it's not just "politics" though, is it. I don't wanna support bands who consent with or even toy with the idea of being co-opted by racist nationalist gaylord movements, which ironically is exactly the kind of tribalism BM kvltists would rail against if it were someone else's tribe. it's bullshit.

forgot to mention I was also obsessed with this a few months ago while trying to get more of an HM2 fix:

the definition of an "all killer no filler" album. and they sound amazing live, or at least this recording does. half the views on this have to be from me:

Well as far as i know mgla is touring with uada (who rock btw) and i believe they are pro antifa. Deathspell omega is not about nationalism nor politics, the vocalist is just a huge weird cunt and that's been know for 10 years maybe now.
I can't stand antifa nor far right wingers they can all suck my ball, leave my bm alone fuckwads

• Like 1

Speaking of bad people in black metal, the vocalist in Inquisition was caught with some Jeffrey Epstein-esque photographic material a while ago. I can listen to Burzum with a mental disclaimer but that is like 1000 bridges too far IMO

• Thanks 1

Speaking of bad people in black metal, the vocalist in Inquisition was caught with some Jeffrey Epstein-esque photographic material a while ago. I can listen to Burzum with a mental disclaimer but that is like 1000 bridges too far IMO
Also the guitarist from manowar lol
Fucking sickooos

19 minutes ago, Candiru said:

er, yeah. that's too much.

1 hour ago, Candiru said:

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that before posting an Inquisition track...

7 hours ago, Candiru said:

Woe and the Black Metal band of our drummer got a huge shit storm in germany for even just playing with those dudes on the same festival. Apparently they got published by some Nazi label in the past or whatever:

https://www.rockhard.de/artikel/woe-und-ultha-wegen-auftritt-mit-inquisition-vom-droneburg-festival-ausgeschlossen_375166.html

(^article in german).

Not that i'd care. BM is completely retarded anyway. Some of the music's quite good tho.

Edited by jaderpansen

^ agreed. a lot of it is super silly and self-aware about it as well, which doesn't necessarily bode ill for the music itself.

I generally like stuff that is more faceless and more introspective, which is why Mgla (and before them WITTR, who were the first BM band I really committed to) really works for me.

• Like 1

Have you heard of Misþyrming? Icelandic excellence and a good “if you like Mgła” recc. Especially the second album.

Edited by Candiru

abbath is awesome but nattefrost is my favorite dankest black metal edge lord

best fuckn sort vokter remake track ever, yes i'm aware i post this shit every year but come on!

just fuckin pirate that sort vokter album  it's fuckin amazing