IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Just got Converge's Axe To Fall album. I guess it is hardcore. Things I love about it:

Spazzy

Tight

Clean production

Vocals are mixed low (nothing against the vocalist, I just like metal that does this)

Cool song structures

It kind of reminds me of Squarepusher in the way that they will introduce a theme and break it down/spazz out over time. <3. here is a slower track & its spazzier followup

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

I saw this on vinyl for a really good price (secondhand) a month or so ago, at a store out in the suburbs. After hearing those two tracks, I sure hope it's still there, might have to have a look this weekend!

I saw this on vinyl for a really good price (secondhand) a month or so ago, at a store out in the suburbs. After hearing those two tracks, I sure hope it's still there, might have to have a look this weekend!

Word. Effigy is also a monster of a track. I've listened to this album end-to-end more than anything else in the past week or two!

• 10 months later...

Albums I like that are Metal since this thread went quiet.

Doom slow type:

Bell Witch - 2012 - Longing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmFCiSbyW1s

Anhedonist - 2012- Netherwards

Trying to be a more modern metal butthole surfers sometimes:

Art of Burning Water -2013- This Disgrace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXDLLrEEUw

As tough as we can get metal

Nails - 2013- Abandon All Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4UaEmH5XM

Seen it described as 'Party metal' or 'death n roll', kind of fun metal from Norway but I'm not sure if I like this album as much as their last.

Kvelertak - 2013 - Meir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1tpmBswSY

Classic 80s czech/slovak stuff from before the revolution against communism is great... also a style of music that´s called bigbeat that was and is played around here(traces go to 70s I think) although it´s not that FatboySlim type of music... Cynic is great, Skyclad, Therion, My Dying Bride, ...lots of others, pity I have a problem that from metal I can enjoy and like almost everything...

Don't feel like spamming here, but I'm curious to what watmm's opinion is about Dystopia, a black/death/thrash/whatever metal band that I started in 2004, but quit back in 2008/2009. Now they revived with new members and energy and released their first full-length album.

http://dystopianl.bandcamp.com/

The latest review: http://www.themetaladvisor.com/2013/03/metal-round-up-wandersword-dystopia.html#more

Dystopia was a complete turnoff already 10 seconds into the first track. :-)

Haha :emotawesomepm9: wasn't expecting much, but I was too curious. It will never get the seal of approval my avatar shows here as well, and it's not my thing either, but still I try to support them and collect feedback/reviews. Was it the production? Or the style?

(To return the favor though, I dó like the new Diskord album very much :wink: )

I saw Fell Voices + Ash Borer last night. It was mental, especially Fell Voices.

They're doing an euro tour atm, they're also playing Roadburn later this month. Catch them (the combo) if you can, it's totally worth it.

Though I'd heard of the band Terrorizer I never listened to them. Just been skimming through this thread and clicked on the Terrorizer tracks some of you posted, I then youtubed the whole of World Downfall and now I just bought the cd. Classic stuff.

Cheers.

I saw Decapitated open for Meshuggah a few months and thought they were really tight, but I only just heard their latest album Carnival Is Forever. And it slays. Musically it's sort of a mix of Meshuggah, Pantera and just a hint of Opeth. I was surprised to learn they didn't use drum triggers for the drum sounds on this one. He's just that consistent.

I've also recently been digging Cult of Luna's latest, Vertikal. Musically it's quite interesting, very cool instrumental arrangements --it's refreshing to hear a metal band concerned more with creating a vibe than with showing off their virtuosity. The vocals are kind of :shrug: , but it doesn't detract too much.

And also, thanks for posting Blut Aus Nord earlier in the thread, whoever did that. They've since become one of my all time favorites.

only 4 (uh 3) songs and lofi like hell but crank it up your goat system with a beer and some snooper mario grass and this will fuck you up, those goddamn vocals and atmosphere man unholy shit!

Guest igloos unlmtd

I really lost interest in metal around in the early to mid 90's when I switched over to shoegaze.

But sometimes I get nostalgic for all the bands I saw, heard, & hung out with as a kid. For a bunch of tough guys they really treated a geeky metal teenager well getting me into shows I wasn't suppose to be in, etc..

I saw the original line-up of Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel (blessed are the sick tour, which I still think is the best), Kreator, Obituary, Napalm Death (w/ Mick Harris), Broken Hope, Unleashed, Samael (before they were cheezy), Amorphis (before they were cheezy), & so many others I wish I could remember.

Most of all, I like going back to the demos & albums of the bands from my area because they were really good but the market was so saturated that the labels just couldn't release everything that was coming out at the time.

Here are a few that stick out from that time period :

• 2 weeks later...