IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I am very much back into SOAD after their recent tour

I've been on a bit of a SOAD kick since catching that stream in Armenia they did last week, put on Toxicity in the car yesterday, still a great album. They may not be "true" metal but damnit they're a fun listen and they still got some sweet riffs.

yeah this Holy Mountains at the end of a work out just really gives chills

Toxicity & Steal This Album rarely leave my mp3 player.

How do the WATMM metalheads feel about Car Bomb? Definitely one of the more abstract heavy bands out there. They've cited Autechre as a major influence before, and I think it definitely comes through in their music.

[youtubehd]Bn1wrAxfkmA[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]qrenVIyk9VI[/youtubehd]

very cool! Nice rhythmic control.

edit: I'm listening to their album 'w^w^^w^w' now, it's good stuff but everynow and then the vocalist makes a 'woo' sound that kinda reminds me of Attack Attack or something haha.

The melodic vocals sound like Deftones sometimes though, pretty good.

Edited by modey

How do the WATMM metalheads feel about Car Bomb? Definitely one of the more abstract heavy bands out there. They've cited Autechre as a major influence before, and I think it definitely comes through in their music.

Car Bomb is pretty sweet, I was pretty into them a few years back when I was on a huge mathcore/grindcore binge... I have a T-shirt of theirs that looks like a bunch of bloody floating Ron Burgundy heads with their logo over it on the bottom right. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has that shirt design as well. The drummer sent it to me after the design I initially ordered got sold out before they could ship mine. The Ron Burgundy design never got officially approved so it wasn't mass produced... I liked Centralia more than the 2nd album but both are solid mathcore.

Edited by ghOsty

very cool! Nice rhythmic control.

edit: I'm listening to their album 'w^w^^w^w' now, it's good stuff but everynow and then the vocalist makes a 'woo' sound that kinda reminds me of Attack Attack or something haha.

The melodic vocals sound like Deftones sometimes though, pretty good.

Haha yeah, like at the beginning of Finish It. I dunno, I like the woo's. I think he's a great vocalist overall. Utilizes a lot of different techniques and just sounds spastic and crazy. They did a cover of Malpractice by Faith No More where they ending is just like a minute of straight a capella weird ass vocal noises. Sounds really cool to hear. I can't find it now though, I don't even remember when I got the recording initially.

And GhOsty, you should put up a pic of the Ron Burgundy shirt, it sounds hilarious.

I like it a lot! Death metal that does more than just go fast. Thanks for posting!

*headbangs in an arrhythmic fashion*

Any High On Fire fans? Been going absolutely crazy with their discography. Usually a fan of Clutch and Kyuss but these guys are a blast if you dig heavy sludge goodness.

Any High On Fire fans? Been going absolutely crazy with their discography. Usually a fan of Clutch and Kyuss but these guys are a blast if you dig heavy sludge goodness.

De Vermis Mysteriis is a classic album imo. All killer no filler!

Yeah High On Fire are awesome. I wish more stoner/doom metal bands had fast sections like then; there are so many stoner bands these days just playing slow minor pentatonic riffs with Ozzy style vocals, gah!

Yeah I've always wanted to get into High On Fire, I'm huge into stoner metal, just never given em enough time I guess. Which album should I get first?

Also just started listening to Pharaoh Overlord, if anyone here has heard em. Mega hypnotic droning stoner riffs, I love it. Them and Acid King can nail that mesmerizing, zoned-out sensation like none other. "Like riding a motorcycle on quaaludes", as Lori would say.

Also, if they have not been mentioned yet, Earthless are pretty sweet. Instrumental metal prog, virtually all of their songs are 20 minutes plus without ever feeling so long.

[youtubehd]n8iztMvYQIY[/youtubehd]

Yeah High On Fire are awesome. I wish more stoner/doom metal bands had fast sections like then; there are so many stoner bands these days just playing slow minor pentatonic riffs with Ozzy style vocals, gah!

I know what you mean: so many of those bands feel like generic psych bands with extra distortion. It feels like when a pop star wears a Metallica shirt, sort of fake. And they have the nerve to call it 'progressive'!

Yeah I've always wanted to get into High On Fire, I'm huge into stoner metal, just never given em enough time I guess. Which album should I get first?

Also just started listening to Pharaoh Overlord, if anyone here has heard em. Mega hypnotic droning stoner riffs, I love it. Them and Acid King can nail that mesmerizing, zoned-out sensation like none other. "Like riding a motorcycle on quaaludes", as Lori would say.

The remastered Art of Self-Defence is a good place to begin, pretty cheap on Bandcamp too (and you get a few demos + a 7" single free): https://highonfiresl.bandcamp.com/album/the-art-of-self-defense

I am very much back into SOAD after their recent tour

I've been on a bit of a SOAD kick since catching that stream in Armenia they did last week, put on Toxicity in the car yesterday, still a great album. They may not be "true" metal but damnit they're a fun listen and they still got some sweet riffs.

Serj's solo work though... Well his first solo album was alright, but he really needs Daron. btw it's a shame that the least talented one ended up being the most prolific, Scars on Broadway was great but he hasn't released anything in 7 years

De Vermis Mysteriis is a classic album imo. All killer no filler!

Hell yes, one of my favorite bands! I'm really looking forward to the upcoming one... De Vermis Mysteriis was awesome, Blessed Black Wings is pretty much an essential classic.

funny, interesting & inspiring piece on 1 man's obsession with Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman" lp

http://www.andrewliles.com/info/diary-of-a-madman/

Nice read, I'd like to stumble upon that Russian copy!

Int it. He makes some poignant & relevant points about the love of collecting records (as opposed to getting all anti-digi/pro vinyl). The only records i could compare that obsession to personally are Sgt Pepper (cheers folks!) and New Order's Blue Monday, which i've worn the grooves out on with a few different copies.

Gonna go attic crate digging this week to locate a few other things, but my old crate of metal records that has been packed away for years deserves to be burped open, to coin a cannabis curing culture phrase. I swapped loads for a block of draw some time around 1989, which was a big personal regret later in life. Then i can drop some practical flashbacks....

I'm still stuck in 1985/6 w/metal. Once the seeds of Factory Records had taken hold, my obsession with it decreased quite a bit. You see it with the albums from pre-'86/7 and afterwards, there was a definite decline. Metallica never really topped MOP, South of Heaven doesnt have quite the ferocious intensity of Reign In Blood (nor should it), Anthrax never really hit their stride quite the same after this period and a myriad of bands like Nuclear Assault, Testament (Chuck Billy 4 Prez), Death Angel etc all seemed to spiral into decline. S'pose more electronic-focused sounds had taken a foothold by then,,,,,,,

All this thread needs now are some clips of Metallica crying from their Mosnter-doc, or Dave Mustaine moaning about leaving Metallica and its come full circle ;)

I'm still stuck in 1985/6 w/metal. Once the seeds of Factory Records had taken hold, my obsession with it decreased quite a bit. You see it with the albums from pre-'86/7 and afterwards, there was a definite decline. Metallica never really topped MOP, South of Heaven doesnt have quite the ferocious intensity of Reign In Blood (nor should it), Anthrax never really hit their stride quite the same after this period and a myriad of bands like Nuclear Assault, Testament (Chuck Billy 4 Prez), Death Angel etc all seemed to spiral into decline. S'pose more electronic-focused sounds had taken a foothold by then,,,,,,,

True, but bands need to move on, imo. All of those bands would have just completely died if they'd continued to release the same thrash album over and over. At least Metallica went even more proggy with Justice (their best imo) and Testament started incorporating death metal into their sound.

I wish I could be as big of a Slayer fan as others. I guess the unrelenting thrash thing just gets a bit tiring for me; I mean, they're great, and brutal, and amazing live, but I always preferred the bands who broke it up with intricate melodic sections.

Disagree with the Anthrax statement. Worship Music sounded to me like they were finally getting their shit together and working out what kind of band were/are.

Have been blaring a lot of Gojira lately, especially at work. Love their long repeating riffs, not afraid to chugg at all those chaps

[youtubehd]5o1j6K_4ylE[/youtubehd]

Edited by Bechuga