IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I'm rather obsessive about Tool....which is kinda metal I suppose.

The guitar tone and weirdness of it all is so good. I even love the bass sound. I remember watching this video, let's say, under the influence...total brain fuck.

Edited by Polytrix

Polytrix, are you a King Crimson fan? I know I always mention them when Tool comes up but I've always thought that Tool took a lot from them.

(^ especially this one, listen to that riff at 1:08, it's uncanny)

Yeah, I like King Crimson but mainly the obvious stuff. I expect they would a major influence on Tool yeah...I try to make guitar riffs like tool and get quite close sometimes...it's not really that complex really...just atmospheric. I think Tool deserve a lot more respect actually...accessible but still very special.

Yeah, I like King Crimson but mainly the obvious stuff. I expect they would a major influence on Tool yeah...I try to make guitar riffs like tool and get quite close sometimes...it's not really that complex really...just atmospheric. I think Tool deserve a lot more respect actually...accessible but still very special.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Tool's music, even if they do wear their influences on their sleeves (I mean shit, their cover of No Quarter was so obvious; it's almost like that song was a template for Tool). I do have a problem though with the BoC style hippie fans who try to extract all this meaningful psychedelic bullshit from their songs, even when they're joking around most of the time.

haha, yeah, I can see people doing that...but equally, there's a lot of good discussion in that when the tracks are accompanied by videos like this!!!

That was the first Tool track I heard actually. Still mind blowingly good.

Kinda makes sense when you're high...hahahah

Edited by Polytrix

i didn't like this album at first but goddamn, it's now years later, MANY years later and it's become one of my rare gems

if you want some clever and crazy hyperspeed death metal destruction torrent or buy INTERNECINE: the book of lambs!!

my absolute favorite track:

Edited by Ivan Ooze

Holy fuck...brain explosion

Metal is so funny too. Look at that album art

Coming up with metal band names is even more funny though...

Rotting necrotic lamb's bowel? Probably too tame and probably doesn't make sense. METAL!

i didn't like this album at first but goddamn, it's now years later, MANY years later and it's become one of my rare gems

if you want some clever and crazy hyperspeed death metal destruction torrent or buy INTERNECINE: the book of lambs!!

Also one of my treasured albums from back in the day! That track and the last track especially, oh man... I always loved that overly ridiculous intro before the last track too, one minute of overlapping shouting ( https://youtu.be/Wm2l_jcQum4?t=29m26s )

Related (for me, I listened these two in the same period a lot), the part around 2:33 - 3:33 is still one of my fave metal bits in history:

https://youtu.be/cMdBqVaMDvU

that myrkskog track sounds awesome herr jan, and totally tit you have that internecine album lol

so many underground awesomeness in metal, i bought a ton of crap but it was worth it for those precious few

Also one of my treasured albums from back in the day! That track and the last track especially, oh man... I always loved that overly ridiculous intro before the last track too, one minute of overlapping shouting ( https://youtu.be/Wm2l_jcQum4?t=29m26s )

Related (for me, I listened these two in the same period a lot), the part around 2:33 - 3:33 is still one of my fave metal bits in history:

https://youtu.be/cMdBqVaMDvU

That last one is SO GOOD! Cheers

Man, I seem to be on a different wavelength to others in regards to metal lately. I did a related artists crawl from Scar Symmetry yesterday and ended up at Soilwork:

I'm really loving the highly produced, soaring melodic death metal stuff from the last 10 or so years.. especially Swedish bands; they seem to really nail the melodic choruses.

Meanwhile everyone else I know is still listening to doom/stoner metal, which is great but man I get tired of kyuss/sabbath style riffs sometimes

Edited by modey

Man, I had a ticket to see Scar Symmetry live a couple of years ago and then on the day I was in bed throwing up and was too sick to go :(

Has anyone posted any cheesy but enormously fun samurai metal yet?

Man, I seem to be on a different wavelength to others in regards to metal lately. I did a related artists crawl from Scar Symmetry yesterday and ended up at Soilwork:

I'm really loving the highly produced, soaring melodic death metal stuff from the last 10 or so years.. especially Swedish bands; they seem to really nail the melodic choruses.

Meanwhile everyone else I know is still listening to doom/stoner metal, which is great but man I get tired of kyuss/sabbath style riffs sometimes

yeah i prefer stuff going on too, otherwise what's the point, cheesy synths or too emo choruses can get stuffed though.

Yeah see that's the thing; sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the universe who is ok with synth music infiltrating metal

I do like Soilwork, Figure No. 5 has some anthems. Should get some more of their albums, my library is lacking of their stuff. Also, as for synths, sometimes they're the trick to making it sound amazing, like Strapping Young Lad or Between the Buried and Me. There is a limit, of course: can't go full Dream Theater.

Haha yeah, Dream Theater take it way too far most of the time. I didn't mind some of Rudess' work on Octavarium though. Train of Thought is a pretty great album too, but yeah the other stuff is a little too cheesy even for me!

Yeah see that's the thing; sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the universe who is ok with synth music infiltrating metal

Synths and metal? How about some Genghis Tron?

I really like Soilwork - it's cheesy as fuck sometimes though. But I agree, it's so crisp in the production.

It's cheesy but in a good way.

Early In Flames I love too...now they are well shit.