IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Hah! Yes, that's the one :) I guess the room wasn't as empty as I remember? Shining, Aphex and your gig that night were all so mindblowing, that whole night was just an insane experience.

:diablo:

I can't remember if I posted this, but it's perfect/madness:

more black stuff on the next album Toby maybe, if you want, pls, if you want, you know, whatever

lol i can only listen to Weird Metaltm now, RIP me

Edited by baph

Found a bit of an anomaly here. It's one of those one-man BM projects, the dude describes his stuff as 'wooden metal' which is pretty apt. Mainly acoustic folk-ish kinda-black metal:

I'm really enjoying it, it reminds me of the soundtrack to an old RPG in places, like walking into a new village or something. It's pretty lo-fi and the drums sound a bit like someone thumping a cardboard box, but mostly in a good way. Nothing particularly mind-shattering or groundbreaking going on here but I like the overall vibe.

Pretty sure I mentioned it already, but I gotta bring it up again... the latest Elder album is pretty fucking great, little more proggy than Dead Roots Stirring, but damn it's got some great riffs and leads

Finally got a chance to check this out. Really damn good, like a more stonery Isis or something. Great riffs!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first CDs I bought and I've been killing it in the car whilst driving recently. Cheesy as fuck in places but the guitar tone, drums and vocals and weird effects running throughout add to something that feels very unique even now (imo!)

Edited by Polytrix

One of the first CDs I bought and I've been killing it in the car whilst driving recently. Cheesy as fuck in places but the guitar tone, drums and vocals and weird effects running throughout add to something that feels very unique even now (imo!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-RdsIst6p4

A classic, for sure. They've really returned to form as well recently; Mechanize is a great album.

Found a bit of an anomaly here. It's one of those one-man BM projects, the dude describes his stuff as 'wooden metal' which is pretty apt. Mainly acoustic folk-ish kinda-black metal:

I'm really enjoying it, it reminds me of the soundtrack to an old RPG in places, like walking into a new village or something. It's pretty lo-fi and the drums sound a bit like someone thumping a cardboard box, but mostly in a good way. Nothing particularly mind-shattering or groundbreaking going on here but I like the overall vibe.

this is... incredible

Pretty sure I mentioned it already, but I gotta bring it up again... the latest Elder album is pretty fucking great, little more proggy than Dead Roots Stirring, but damn it's got some great riffs and leads

Finally got a chance to check this out. Really damn good, like a more stonery Isis or something. Great riffs!

innit? I think this is my favourite discovery from this thread.

Yeah Elder is pretty sweet glad you guys dig, definitely check the older stuff of theirs out as well... Dead Roots Stirring is another fucking great album.

Although she's not known for being a metal act, the new Chelsea Wolfe album has some moments that are proper fucking doom, I'm all for it if she continues to go this route...

Edited by ghOsty

A classic, for sure. They've really returned to form as well recently; Mechanize is a great album.

Oh interesting, I thought they'd just reverted to new metal crappy vocals, rapping over tracks shittery but cool I'll check it out....

Yeah they sure had a low period from Digimortal onwards. I didn't mind some songs on Digimortal since I think they really nailed the melodic stuff on that album, but then Dino left the band for a while and they were kinda bland until he came back for Mechanize.

Oh interesting, I thought they'd just reverted to new metal crappy vocals, rapping over tracks shittery but cool I'll check it out....

Demanufacture would be my second favorite of theirs after Obsolete.

I haven't heard any of their new stuff though, I'll have to check it out.

Mr Modey is their most recent worth checking out or just mechanize?

Edited by StephenG

Fear Factory are such a shady outfit nowadays: kicking out old band members for no reason, Dino coming back in despite Burton saying he hated him...lots of weird stuff going on. Plus, the new material is sorta childish. Archetype is pretty good though. Obsolete and some others are still good too.

Strapping Young Lad are much better using that synchronous guitar/drum sound, in fact they were formed because Devin said he liked the idea of FF but felt they were missing a trick. (From what I read, anyway)

[youtubehd]RjVT0MhSNeo[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]3f20L0msLsM[/youtubehd]

[/musicalsnobbery]

(Yes I will not listen to a band if some of their ethics rub me the wrong way.)

Edited by Bechuga

SYL are great; very psychedelic and super heavy. I wouldn't really compare them to FF though.

Demanufacture would be my second favorite of theirs after Obsolete.

I haven't heard any of their new stuff though, I'll have to check it out.

Mr Modey is their most recent worth checking out or just mechanize?

I haven't heard the new album yet, but The Industrialist was pretty good. They didn't use a drummer on that one but instead programmed all of the drums—so the drumming is even more rigid and cold than before.

Mechanize though, you know it's good when Dino actually busts out a guitar solo in one song:

Oh yeah, Gene Hoglan played drums on Mechanize so it's a bit more thrashy and technical (omg, toms!) than their previous albums. I'm not sure who's playing drums for them now, but I saw them earlier this year and they were still super tight.

Of course, the combo of Demanufacture/Obsolete can't be beaten, and their whole man vs. machine schtick gets a little boring, so ymmv etc

Edited by modey

great thread; it actually got me back into listening to metal a few months ago, and got me into doom metal which i had never really explored before. I've been on a heavier streak lately:

Dragged into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind is an amazingly brutal doomy, sludgy, deathy album. Awesome, awesome stuff.

[youtubehd]PLy46B7KNn4[/youtubehd]

Their newer album Widowmaker is a bit different and does not have the same intensity, but it has grown on me:

[youtubehd]Hg4prBtRAGM[/youtubehd]

Keeping with the sludge/doom/death theme is Lord Mantis - Pervertor. Their newer album Death Mask has a few gems on it including the title track and Negative Birth, but I prefer the first record:

[youtubehd]BMgVGwG5Cqc[/youtubehd]

Along the same lines is Coffinworm:

[youtubehd]u0lhTFGiHj0[/youtubehd]

And finally, Leviathan - Scar Sighted. Black metal, nice atmosphere and an album with good flow. Another one that grew on me.

[youtubehd]cL6neyX8rQI[/youtubehd]

^All damn good bands mentioned there.... Also I agree about Dragged Into Sunlight, newer one wasn't as good as the debut.

On a further related doom note, The Body & Thou collab is pretty fucking heavy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmfasN6sts

...both excellent bands on their own right as well.

Sheperd is pretty solid:

also very much looking forward to the upcoming Windhand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j35rD6NM4yw

Yeah, the new Windhand is going to be awesome. There's some really good doom records coming out this year, it's a good time to be alive.