IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

yeah, I do feel that way about stoner stuff now. and I really dislike Ozzy style vocals in present day bands, it sounds so affected.

however I think "doom" is much broader and still has a lot to offer. I think there's still plenty of interesting stuff going on in that arena with more experimental bands. like this!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lu4B5II-k

what do you reckon? one of my favourite new discoveries.

oh cool, it sounds pretty alright! When I get over my current phase of thrash/death/groove metal I'll give them a proper listen.

I'm still very much on the lookout for super repetitive, fast metal. It seems only the slow bands tend to be repetitive. I'm thinking something like this except without being Metallica & Lou Reed. Actually if it were just the Metallica part it'd actually be an interesting minimalist metal piece..

I mean shit, imagine a Reich-style phasing piece but for two thrash bands, FUCK

Edited by modey

I really like Carcass. Have been listening back to Symphonies of Sickness

I probably only bought the CD when I was like 14 or something because I thought the album artwork was brutal and weirdly appealing.

!Carcass%20Symphonies%20Of%20Sickness%20

God such a good set of riffs. I listen to this in my car and can't help but laugh at the the 0:40 second mark but then the riffs are SO GOOD.

But,

Shuffling through the more halloween related titles in my library and this one came up, haven't listened to this one in a while but it's a great track:

I'm actually glad I'm not the only one finding Pallbearer incredibly boring. My mates love them, and we saw them live together with YOB last year. Boring standard colouring book doom metal with no power or punch or anything unique in it. Not a big fan of YOB but at least they destroyed the venue properly. I've also been forced to listen to the Pallbearer albums a few times as well but it just couldn't hold my interest at all.

Those The Body tracks are great, someone shared them in chatmm recently (usagi?) and I saved the links, really dug it!

Anyway, there's few metal bands that can hold my interest these days but these guys have always been my favourite (probably not the first time I'm mentioning them here), will finally see them live this weekend in Antwerp, together with Urfaust and Alkerdeel:

Interesting vocal styles and lyrics, brown Belgian vibes, improvisation pieces, unique instruments for this style, midgets with beards, influences all over the place, carrots and beer, dirty production, all 10/10 imo.

I probably only bought the CD when I was like 14 or something because I thought the album artwork was brutal and weirdly appealing.

God such a good set of riffs. I listen to this in my car and can't help but laugh at the the 0:40 second mark but then the riffs are SO GOOD.

But,

Hah yes I remember being a teenager and buying a few Carcass cd's. And as you said, I found the artwork weirdly appealing. Back in those days I would buy albums on the strength of the album cover. Did it many times. And they were fucking expensive. Can you imagine?

Funny thing is when I was a proper hardcore metalhead I never really liked Carcass that much (I think I was trying to push my boundaries some what). Put them on now 20 years later and I love them!

symphonies of sickness and reek of putrefaction by carcass are milestones of wtf, just timeless brilliant filth!!

i never understood why heartwork got such praise, i think it's meh, it seems like they lost the band's soul there. so forced

and fuck yeah Herr Jan, Lugubrum is an absolute underground gem! i'm sure it will be an awesome gig also

But,

Hah yes I remember being a teenager and buying a few Carcass cd's. And as you said, I found the artwork weirdly appealing. Back in those days I would buy albums on the strength of the album cover. Did it many times. And they were fucking expensive. Can you imagine?

Funny thing is when I was a proper hardcore metalhead I never really liked Carcass that much (I think I was trying to push my boundaries some what). Put them on now 20 years later and I love them!

Ha, dude, I feel totally the same. I think when I first heard it I decided that it was too much for me to digest at the time. 20 years later. Adore it.

It's the sort of thing you are obliged to buy if you find on vinyl etc.

Yeah, I like bits of heartwork, different genre really isn't it.

I miss the metalhead side of me. It's sort of evaporated in the last decade, I guess that's just the natural path of getting older. I think I mentioned in the Reign in Blood thread started by Calx that you get to certain age and you move on but there are some guys who stay in a time warp. Glad I got into Aphex etc and Warp records which pushed me into all kinds of different territories. I think I was pretty wise to when last orders were gonna be called at the bar and getting a new breath of fresh air.

I really do miss going to gigs though and that whole side of metal. 30 mins to London on the train, drinking all day and smoking pot, back home in a fucking sweaty mess. Good times. On the downside I missed by a countrymile all the illegal rave scene, 'cause if you were a metalhead a load of drugged up hippies dancing like girls in fluro clothes was definitely a no go. Heh. Funny how things work out :happy:

Edited by beerwolf

As a side note, so much of the metal coming out these days has absolutely brilliant cover art. The stuff on the Dragged Into Sunlight tracks posted a couple of pages ago is great.

I 2nd this. I really dig a lot of metal artwork. The Dragged Into Sunlight art is always particularly awesome/metal. Edited by QQQ

As a side note, so much of the metal coming out these days has absolutely brilliant cover art. The stuff on the Dragged Into Sunlight tracks posted a couple of pages ago is great.

I 2nd this. I really dig a lot of metal artwork. The Dragged Into Sunlight art is always particularly awesome/metal.

Granted, tho it's quite obviously ripping off Nick Blinko from Rudimentary Peni (great band too, btw, tho not quite metal)...

Yo, back from the Deathcrusher Tour date in cologne. Napalm Death, Obituary, Carcass all delivered, still i can't forgive the fact freaking VOIVOD had to open for them, blasphemy!

Played 2 songs from my favourite album of theirs "Dimension Hatröss", which also happen to have videos, so here they are:

But the best one has to be this:

The mighty BROCAS HELM:

I love the production on this album, sounds like it was recorded inside a defunct washing machine lying on the side of a highway.

Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine

Easily one of the best post 2000 (non-"extreme") metal albums all around. Singing on this album is by Mike Scalzi, whose main band (The Lord Weird) Slough Feg is definitely worth a mention, too... Traveller for example, geeky shit, concept album about the role playing game of the same name:

... and some more random NWOBHM shit, because it's just one big gold mine, that age:

^(3.00 to 4.30 min omfg)

^(when things begin to lift off around 2 min... <3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gsH--0RzA

^Best Maiden song period. Who needs Dickinson...

Edited by jaderpansen

Have you guys seen this diagram of Sunn O))'s current live setup? Fucking ridiculous, that's a total of 96 speakers, not including the monitors! I reeeeeaaally need to see them live.

SS-2015-09-02-at-12-21-25-resize-800x532

I saw that just yesterday when I wanted to find out whether Sunn o))) did that thing where they have massive fake cabinets at their shows. righteously shown otherwise.

Have you guys seen this diagram of Sunn O))'s current live setup? Fucking ridiculous, that's a total of 96 speakers, not including the monitors! I reeeeeaaally need to see them live.

SS-2015-09-02-at-12-21-25-resize-800x532

Yeah, saw them live with that setup in August. Make sure you get pretty close to the stage for the full immersion.