IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Atheist are among my all time metal faves, yeah! I still to this day regret not going to see them when they supported Candlemass back in 1991, just a couple of months before Roger Patterson died. Was a broke teenager, so sadly couldn't go. Did catch them a couple of times more recently, which was a rather mixed experience.

Sad to hear you missed them, by this time Atheist were technically one of the best on stage !

1989 to 1991, so many classic albums in that period !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MwS4ZGCEmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-Lxxy-HpU

I'm old too, I saw all these bands live by this period..... :dadjoke:

Edited by autechrist

'91 lol man u old

I guess I am. My dad took me to my first heavy metal show in 1984, haha.

I'm old too, I saw all these bands live by this period..... :dadjoke:

Same here, I caught Morbid Angel and Entombed in 91 and Sepultura in 92. Not to mention Dissection, Enslaved, Dark Funeral and Gorgoroth in 94. :catsob:

didn't you once tell a story about seeing the old-school metal Scorn (with Nic Bullen) live? that would have been awesome. being old has its upsides.

edit: Entombed live :cattears:

Edited by usagi

been blasting some awesome stuff the past 2 weeks

Bal Sagoth - Battle Magic

Most ballin fantasy metal i ever heard, i can't believe i like this even more then i did 18 years ago, my favorite track:

Conan - Horseback battle hammer

i can't imagine anything being heavier then this, it sounds like that time i ate a spacecake and tried to get home on my bike

Ildjarn - Nidhogg compilation

2 awesome produced minimal bm tracks of pure psychodelic hellfire and a ton of short lo fi catchy necro kvult caveman tracks recorded on a goat semen soaked tape yet everything sounds absolute bliss when you crank your amp up, absolute must have

Solefald - World metal kosmopolis sud

another bump for the solefald bruhs for their amazing new record

didn't you once tell a story about seeing the old-school metal Scorn (with Nic Bullen) live? that would have been awesome. being old has its upsides.

Yeah, caught them in 92 and 94. Heavy as fuck.

Anyone into the Unique Leader stuff? It's mostly the post-Suffocation kind of death metal, brutal and technical. Not all of it is my cup of tea, but I really dig a couple of the Gorgasm and Disgorge albums.

Ildjarn - Nidhogg compilation

2 awesome produced minimal bm tracks of pure psychodelic hellfire and a ton of short lo fi catchy necro kvult caveman tracks recorded on a goat semen soaked tape yet everything sounds absolute bliss when you crank your amp up, absolute must have

Yeah, Ildjarn is just so amazingly beautifully ugly. Deep ecology loner metal!

On that note, Striborg has released a ton of stuff and it is all hit and miss. But when he hits it's fantastic. Check his The Long Dark Path track at 8:52, some of the coldest and feelingest BM ever made:

https://youtu.be/ugjLjFnas_I?t=8m52s

https://youtu.be/ugjLjFnas_I

...and he even has a song ABOUT Ildjarn, The Freezing Northland:

Under the northstar and fullmoon night

From the frozen kingdom of Norway

Snow ridden spruce and abyssic fjords

He wanders throughout the night

Filled with hate for mankind

"No man deserves to tread my sacred ground"

Full of primitiveness and purity

Cold, grey darkness reflects his sound

A poet from the forest, his true companion

Thou shalt suffer who cross his path

"I'll break your knee-caps for crossing me"

Alone in the dakrness he shall forever be

Retiring from the days of black which filled his soul

"Today's scene is no longer dark enough to carry on"

A man now respected for all he's done

A true misanthropist to roam the earth

At 39:23:

https://youtu.be/bYhHrGwxkhU?t=39m23s

Yeah, caught them in 92 and 94. Heavy as fuck.

Anyone into the Unique Leader stuff? It's mostly the post-Suffocation kind of death metal, brutal and technical. Not all of it is my cup of tea, but I really dig a couple of the Gorgasm and Disgorge albums.

yeah just listened to deeds of flesh reduced to ashes yesterday, proper woodchopper death metal and also got that gorgasm album + disgorge - she lay gutted and Pyaemia - cerebral cerial

that last one is my favorite of the bunch

been rediscovering some stuff that blows all that technical brutal slam unique leader stuff away tough

again brodequin - instruments of torture

read so many reviews saying the sound is shit, well their ears and soundsystem are shit, best brutal beef metal ever

cryptopsy - none so vile

i'v been blasting this in my car for months now and it makes me wanna make detours cause it's so fuckin savage, absolute must have masterpiece

thanks psn for the stryborg recommand!!

Unique Leader mostly reminds me of a particular era when I hung around those guys from Brutus, which is still my fave album from UL, and one of my alltime fave metal albums.

https://youtu.be/vRq9x7_6yYA?list=PL7BD9BD8C8C2175A0

Suprisingly, their new album came out last month without much press. That took more than 10 years because of a lot of shitty reasons, but I remember back in 2008 the guitarist mentioning that it just needed some bass parts and extra vocals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NX80hGFNg8

Besides that it's mostly the stuff psn and Ivan already mentioned. Also was really into this Deeds of Flesh album, which isn't on UL though:

RE: Ildjarn / Striborg, never really got into both but that documentary on Xasthur / Striborg / Leviathan didn't help to take Striborg serious. Best thing about Ildjarn for me was him tipping Biosphere in an interview over a decade ago, although I'm quite enjoying both Ildjarn and Striborg links that you both posted now.

my precious subwoofer died this weekend and now i have to replace it for 3weeks with my old piece of poop, but i got me Ildjarn / Hateforest split a week ago, heh perfect!

the Ildjarn stuff is surprisingly top notch production compared to his other stuff, it's still distorted and harsh like fuck tough. Simple catchy bm tunes with his typical hate deathfuck vocals. everything is flavoured with bizarre keyboards, love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmej-lFe1Y

hate forest come straight from hell with flaming guitarriffs, super catchy tracks, beast vocals, some ambience and great bm production, hotdamn

pretty much like the amazing artwork -> weird and shithot split album!!!

this must be one of my favortite tracks ever, if not favortite ever

i'v known it for like 17 years and it makes me cry, cum and bash my fucking head against the wall even more then it ever did

brilliant songwriting, icecold guitars and maybe some of my favortie drumming on a metal album, timeless and genious

this must be one of my favortite tracks ever, if not favortite ever

i'v known it for like 17 years and it makes me cry, cum and bash my fucking head against the wall even more then it ever did

brilliant songwriting, icecold guitars and maybe some of my favortie drumming on a metal album, timeless and genious

Oh man, I was such a huge fan of this album / band in the day too! I devoured all their records up until Ruun and then just stopped caring basically. Once in a while I'll play their 'weirder' stuff again, Monumension and Mardraum. Pretty sure I'll never get tired of those, but hearing this again is taking me back :)

Trivia about the Lindisfarne track you might already know but at the time this was one of the biggest mysteries for us: What does the guy mumbleshouts right before the track starts (@3:35)". Luckily we met Grutle and Ivar a few times and right after he told a story - that involved Grutle and Schmier of Destruction, crawling through someones garden with masks of Hitler and Stalin - he revealed the big secret.

Beware the wrath of the norsemen. Quite obvious in hindsight.. There might've been a word before that but I forgot...

Bonus feat: Last year, a mate of mine was thrown out of the bar that Grutle works at as a bouncer. He is quite proud of it.

hahaa, always wondered what the guy was shouting, thanks herr jan! so fuckin awesome you talked to these guys

mardraum and below the lights are masterpieces to me, never checked out monumension but that will be my next purchase

haven't heard much of the new stuff either, it sounded to clean for me and a bit "been there, donne that" maybe it's very good i don't know, anyway fucking awesome band for sure!

Haha, nice! This Sleeping Gods EP from 2011 was the last thing I liked of theirs because, like you said, the production isn't so ridiculously clean, loud and boring. It's quite diverse for them: the wicked synth track in the middle helps too. Actually, the last track could be on Monumension (which you should totally get ASAP!)

Point in case:

hate forest come straight from hell with flaming guitarriffs, super catchy tracks, beast vocals, some ambience and great bm production, hotdamn

Good choice, also digging some of their other, probably more hipster-compatible project DRUDKH:

Vast shit.

And holy fuck that Eld track is freakishly beautiful, i totally lost sight of Enslaved after Frost for some reason (much later a friend of mine showed me Isa and Ruun which i thought were... ok but somewhat forgettable), guess i got some catching up to do!

"Come on you cunts have some belgian acid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kQ-6Bc9_Q

yeah thanks a lot that got stuck in my head now and from belgium, cool! never heard of em before

definatly check out some post frost, enslaved albums, might not hit you instantly, they are growers and believe me some fantastic stuff to discover :beer: