IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

never was a massive fan of Testament (compared to early Metallica or Slayer), this a newer track from 2012 which a mate played me a few weeks ago. It follows a very typical old-school thrash template but I love it, its almost impossible not to.

Edited by beerwolf

huge into Neurosis right now. I had various false starts with them in the past, which was a shame because of their legendary status and influence on other bands I love, but something has finally clicked now and I'm listening to them every day. what a bunch.

i just got Monumension by Enslaved and i should have gotten it ages ago, what an album and only 5bucks wtf!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6EqzkYtPr8&list=PL4B360DC951BC5A41

just like Below the light's it sounds like they are tripping their nutsack off in a cabin on top of a mountain in the middle of a shitstorm blizzard. Can't believe this got so much bad reviews back in the day, idiots!!

Also got their latest In Times (take my monies you friggin hippy vikings), gonna give it decent listens as soon as i played Monumension and Vertebrae to pieces

Been on a Melvins trip the last few months. I think they are possibly the most underrated band of my generation.

Playing (A) Senile Animal right now, it's fucking fantastic.

I thought Melvins were correctly rated. they seem to command huge respect and influence. brilliant band.

Edited by usagi

I thought Melvins were correctly rated. they seem to command huge respect and influence. brilliant band.

True, I guess I'm thinking in terms of people getting the wangers out and gushing over 'bigger' bands of that similar heavy side of the spectrum. I bet if I herded up a flock of metal fans, most of them wouldn't know Melvins (I'm saying this from my experiences talking to heavy music fans, perhaps not yours)

Yes! Cathedral are damn excellent. Midnight Mountain blasting out the car at full blast and on bygone missions

3.30 mins onwards would always guarantee The Wolf rise!!!! Lol

Good shout Candiru :ok:

Edited by beerwolf

Just got me the new Oranssi Pazuzu, i saw a review of it on the needle drop and it's insanely awesome, check out the track at 48:45, daaayuuuuum

also bought Skuggsja - a piece for mind & mirror, i'm in love with this but i wish i could understand the story they are tellin, brutal and beautifull album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDXcNv4TV4

also dug up a forgotten album Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & Sø

very folky, great music and awesome vocals. i love the artwork 2, just great to hear again and highly recommanded :ok:

• 2 weeks later...

been listening to DODSFALL - Kaosmakt album, it's near perfect and i never heard such an awesome production on a black metal album! Gotta put my horns up for Osmose production, they still release some of the most excellent filth out there after all these years

Wow, a new benchmark in cheese.

Something I've never understood: why is the presence of melody and straying from full-on brutality in metal seen as cheesy? I can understand why people don't like it but I think bands like Scar Symmetry (for example) are really doing something interesting with metal and hope the trend continues. For what it's worth, I still love old simple brutal shit as well..

Cheesy has nothing to do with melody or brutality, it's all about delivery, aesthetics and foremost the overall sensibility; a heavy handed approach to conveying emotion is more cheesy than a subtle one, etc.

And it's not specific to the metal genre. I only find one of these clips cheesy, for instance:

https://youtu.be/Gx6M-IoZYMI