IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

"And I was not talking about the riffing. It was the word "soulful" I responded to." - You should have made that clear...

I said "lead playing" in the first case.

Chuck probably wrote the leads for the songs he's given credit for writing... As their clearly he's style...

They both have solos on all tracks, it's specified in the lyric sheet who plays which leads. Do you actually know who plays which leads?

Generally - when you use hired guns and are in a position to pick the cream of the crop within a given genre I think there is a risk of being outshined. Specifically - in the case of Death and lead guitars, I think Chuck is outshined by of Murphy, Masvidal and LaRoque.

Still, that does not retract any from my regard of Death, Chuck or his music. To me he was a great player, a great writer and a great band leader who assembled some legendary musicians to realize his vision.

Now, back to enjoying the music. :music:

"I said "lead playing" in the first case" - Lead guitar play riffs when their not soloing...

"They both have solos on all tracks, it's specified in the lyric sheet who plays which leads. Do you actually know who plays which leads?" - Yes I do... And what I'm saying is Chuck probably wrote the solo's Jame's plays on most of the songs... The lyric sheet shows WHO played the solos but doesn't show who wrote the solos... Some of Jame's solos are clearly written by Chuck..

"Murphy, Masvidal and LaRoque" - These are all great players... I just don't think "Overshadow" is the right word...

Good to hear your opinions though... I can tell you were/are a serious metal fan...

Why pick tracks from Panzerfaust? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess you think of Panzerfaust as being primitive and raw - and thats the reason I picked this particular album. Darkthrone was never more darkthroney, at least to me :)

lol at transilveinian munchies :emotawesomepm9:

i saw the deftones a few weeks back, say what you want they lost it a while back blah blah whatever, it was a brilliant gig

also just bought tickets to see devin townsend in march, i am SO fucking stoked

I guess you think of Panzerfaust as being primitive and raw - and thats the reason I picked this particular album. Darkthrone was never more darkthroney, at least to me :)

Panzerfaust to me is just the last good Darkthrone album, but it has nothing on Under A Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger or A Blaze in The Northern Sky which are all excellent.

Panzerfaust to me is just the last good Darkthrone album, but it has nothing on Under A Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger or A Blaze in The Northern Sky which are all excellent.

Concerning the first DT albums its like this for me:

1. Panzerfaust / A Blaze in the Northern Sky

2. Transilvanian Hunger

3. Under A Funeral Moon

99. Soulside Journey

Its just personal taste, though.

What do you think of Plaguewielder and Hate Them?

Plaguewielder is as an awful thing, and Hate Them is probably a tiny bit better but not by much.

Of the really new ones Sardonic Wrath has one good song on it, Sjakk matt Jesu Krist but the rest is pretty crap.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i saw the deftones a few weeks back, say what you want they lost it a while back blah blah whatever, it was a brilliant gig

Deftones are consistently amazing imo. Wanted to see them here last month but tickets were about £25+ a pop! Insane for two bands. (other band was Coheed & Cambria)

but he looks like a rapist...

Deftones are consistently amazing imo. Wanted to see them here last month but tickets were about £25+ a pop! Insane for two bands. (other band was Coheed & Cambria)

ya man, i got out me dosh for that because i doubt the tones will ever play southampton again so it was now or never

coheed were a bit meh, apart from the dudes hair, everyone was shouting GET A HAIR CUT

Edited by kaen

These are the Darkthrone albums that let them be able to go to shit without losing my respect completely.

Edited by essines