IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Similarly though, maximalism is seen as more cheesy than minimalism.. I'd like to get to the bottom of why that is, especially since I'm simultaneously working on both minimalist and maximalist music.

Wow, a new benchmark in cheese.

Something I've never understood: why is the presence of melody and straying from full-on brutality in metal seen as cheesy? I can understand why people don't like it but I think bands like Scar Symmetry (for example) are really doing something interesting with metal and hope the trend continues. For what it's worth, I still love old simple brutal shit as well..

it doesn't matter what other people think, just listen to the stuff you like and claim everyone else their shit is gay cheese, that's metal

yeah cattle decapitation started to get praise when they dropped the fulltime grind and started incorporating more melodic elements (among other factors ofc) so it's not like that

(it kinda is though there's no denying that but there's a number of stupid fans for every genre)

tbh I only really care about the two most recent cattle decapitation albums. I don't mind a bit of straightforward goregrind/death metal stuff but a whole album of it with no melodic passages just gets kinda boring tbh

that said I haven't listened to their early stuff in much detail sooooo

Edited by modey

really enjoying Elder right now.

man, I'm fully obsessed with this band right now. Lore is on repeat multiple times a day. it's the first breath of fresh air I've had in stoner stuff in a while, even though I don't think this is strictly stoner metal.

yeah I really enjoyed that album. A real refreshing change from slow minor pentatonic riffs and Ozzy style vocals, which I just fkn groan at now.

90% of all metalbands is forged out of cheese and melodies, i was listening to shinning - halmstad today and said to myself this is some goddamn cheese wankery but i can't help but like it

Edited by Ivan Ooze

really enjoying Elder right now.

man, I'm fully obsessed with this band right now. Lore is on repeat multiple times a day. it's the first breath of fresh air I've had in stoner stuff in a while, even though I don't think this is strictly stoner metal.

Elder is fuckin' great stuff, been listening to a lot of it lately, especially at work as it's one of the few heavier artists I can get away with putting on over the demo speakers.

Been cranking the first Monolord album a bunch this week, this track is just massive:

Finally got around listening to the 'new' Mayhem album, took me about two years to get in the mood for it. Enjoyed it though, could've been produced a tad more shitty for me to appreciate it more (of course). Ordo Ad Chao still remains a fave, was reminded by it when one of the tracks was played in the pub this weekend.

^ so glad mayhem made the most glorious comeback from hell, these last releases destroy everything, the 4 releases after mysteries dom satanas did nothing for me. fuckin hellhamer and attilla the beast still on top of the game

enjoying the crap out of that new oranssi pazuzu album, a real gem in the massive pile of metal releases

also the latest Tribulation album is metal like fuck, love those heavy catchy riffs

getting hyped to see obituary in a few month's, i only have one album from em but that's all i need, it's a timeless dank metal classic for me, been listening to it for 17 years now, makes me wanna smoke pot till i pass out

gonna blast my brains out on that gig :music:

so friggin dank

been listening to Leviathan's Scar Sighted lately. great fucking album, it perfectly captures a certain state of mind. between this and WITTR, I can finally get into some BM now, although I'm sure this statement will irk BM purists. I don't give a fuck though, there are so many insular/puritanical BM wankers out there that I'd gladly state loud and clear that, yes, I find the offshoot/USBM stuff more interesting/diverse than the first-wave Norwegian stuff.

also digging Dragged Into Sunlight. I listen to metal and non-IDM electronic music more than anything lately.

Finally got around listening to the 'new' Mayhem album, took me about two years to get in the mood for it. Enjoyed it though, could've been produced a tad more shitty for me to appreciate it more (of course). Ordo Ad Chao still remains a fave, was reminded by it when one of the tracks was played in the pub this weekend.

if you substract nostalgia from de mysteriis ordo ad chao is easily their best (studio-)album imo. dark af.

________

on a brighter side: have some ironhawk. no idea how they got around getting bigger.