IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

i just opened one of my coffins with old records and found this album by Zyklon B, so fukkin gooood

and i saw mayhem last week at midnight(!) in a small venue next to a church on a full moon! and they played the entire mysteries dom satanas, ugh it was sureal

great sound and the band was right in our face, had an amazing time :music:

their last 2 albums are actually awesome, the new true mayhem is underrated bro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVRiaMC45o&list=PL78EBB468C084CB87&index=6

Elder's vocal ability on their new release this year has somehow managed to take a step backward. the yodeling on the third track especially sticks out, wtf. still great riffs and overall sound though, lovely record apart from the vocal stumbles.

Elder's vocal ability on their new release this year has somehow managed to take a step backward. the yodeling on the third track especially sticks out, wtf. still great riffs and overall sound though, lovely record apart from the vocal stumbles.

I really should give other Elder albums a chance, but just can't get past Lore. It's quite a perfect album imo.

agreed, Lore is perfectly balanced, which is partly what makes my expectations of this new one so high. it's good but it doesn't beat Lore. another thing besides the vox issues is that they shoved in this weird 8min krautrock-y track that seems completely out of place.

just rediscovered 'DEATH', only realised I had ever heard their last album "The Sound of Perseverance" but am digging the sounds of their earlier work - stuff off Leprosy and Human

but my question - should I start at the very beginning and work my way up, or just check out a couple of the best albums?

work your way through, there is no bad death album and if you can dig leprosy as well as sound (which are pretty much opposite cornerstones) you'll most probably appreciate all the different phases anyway.

otherwise just get symbolic :3

Great stuff - thanks for the recs. Worked my way upto 'Human' so far.

Really interesting scene in Florida, watched this last night - love seeing that the practise spaces were just storage spaces, everyone struggling to make it in such a niche scene

Also saw there's a feature docu coming out about Death and Chuck Schuldiner, doing the round at festivals so should be out soon

Saw Boris perform Dear in it's entirety last Saturday, fucking awesome show...

22554988_10155136167891089_7803698778552

Thier opener was also pretty nuts... Endon, also from Japan...equal parts metal and noise/power electronics:

Also been diggin' the new Bell Witch, Mirror Reaper, written as a Eulogy for the original drummer who died, it's beautifully haunting and sad:

The latest Archspire, Relentless Mutation fucking RIIIPPS:

Monolord, is probably my favorite recent doom act... Rust is a solid 3rd album:

and finally, the new Yellow Eyes's latest Immersion Trench Reverie, is some wicked black metal... love these guys;

Endon are amazing. I thought I was the only person who liked them here.

The show was the first I'd heard of them, but they definitely won me over quick... Met the vocalist after the Boris set, it was funny cause they're like intimidatingly intense on-stage and off they were all quiet, rather reserved dudes, seemed like only the vocalist spoke English from what I could tell.

I got a recommendation just today for Code Orange today based on my liking of other grind-y metal. your mentioning that Kurt Ballou has shaped their sound only makes me want to check them out more.

Edited by usagi

I have been liking this album from Code Orange. Sounds very youthful...

Has that Kurt Ballou production aesthetic though which makes you feel as though you've heard some passages before. Most of the album is good except for the Bleeding the Blur track which i hope is not an insight into their future sound :/

That sounds fkn nuts, getting Godfleshy vibes from it, but more hardcore.. very dynamic.

Also when I see the name Kurt Ballou, I think of Chris Ballew lol

PUSA-9109-copy.jpg?crop=1xw:0.8314087759

Also when I see the name Kurt Ballou, I think of Chris Ballew lol

PUSA-9109-copy.jpg?crop=1xw:0.8314087759

I always think of

jungle-book-baloo.jpg

they even look like each other

Kurt-Ballou-Ask1.jpg