IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

OK so time lord / pagan altar deffo were the winners of the weekend. the band sounded powerful as fuck, the new singer was 100% convincing without trying too hard, track selection was pretty much flawless, jones jr. totally owned his guitar... mucho emo! and they announced there gonna be more concerts next year (as pagan altar)!

warning... well, the performance was pretty much perfect and everything but surrounded by a beer drunken-battlevest clad-fist pump-singalong-crowd isn't really how this kind of music optimally unfolds itself, who would've thought it XP... theaterstyle seating arrangement would prolly been more appropriate... nah it was great (despite the whole thing probably being not much more than a cash grab... i mean it's not like 40 watt sun wasn't around still) and of course i ended up shouting along, too :P

cirith ungol pretty much played all their hits from every album chronologically. while this is cool in regard of variety it was also my main problem with the set: since i like the earlier stuff best this turned out to be somwhat anti-climatic. they even played fucking "edge of a knife" (i wasn't even so optimistic they'd play anthing off frost and fire at all) but as 2nd track already... king of the dead they even played in its entirety iirc (the whole set was more than 2 hours!) also including toccata and fugue from tape with projections commemorating fogle. apart from 100mph (which some people seem to feel was out of place on one foot in hell) they pretty much delivered every single (album-)hit you'd imagine.

musically shit was tight and baker's voice downright incredible but apart from that they took some time to get heated up (apart from that young ass bass player danzig lookalike who apparently got them back together, he was in a fanboy poser rage from the get go. couldn't help but feel he seemed somewhat out of place but hey it's cool), especially baker seemed somewhat lost on stage sometimes and even kinda bored despite the impeccable vokill delivery... garven was sloppy af at times and initally hit his cymbals like clits but that's part of the charme, at least he seemed to genuinely enjoy himself. overall it was really cool but just not quite the revelation as pagan altar.

didn't really conciously check out most other bands tbh, count raven and lucifer's friend were kinda ok but we preferred wandering the city a bit, it's got some cool castle stuffs and appoximately 49320649613245235891735 churches.

another cool thing: i found forté - stranger than fiction green vinyl for a realy bargain at some greek vendor person stand. enormously thread relevant!!:

pretty effed up today, had to get to work right away at 6 am, could actually use a weekend from the weekend now :I ... ah hell, well worth it!

guys.

I want to listen to metal more, but find it difficult to dig into stuff cause a lot of it is very cheese. I like Burzum’s Filosofem. And some Swans. Not sure where to go from there? /noob

I want to listen to metal more, but find it difficult to dig into stuff cause a lot of it is very cheese.

well, that's the point :)

(and btw despite being a big influence swans isn't metal really)

Edited by jaderpansen

dunno lol, that album somehow pushes the right buttons... it somehow sounds different & more reduced to essentials, ie listening to it I don’t get imagery of people browsing the internet for leather coats & patchouli candles & extensive dungeon & dragons sessions

Edited by Guest

dunno lol, that album somehow pushes the right buttons... it somehow sounds different & more reduced to essentials, ie listening to it I don’t get imagery of people browsing the internet for leather coats & patchouli candles & extensive dungeon & dragons sessions

ironically varg (=burzum man) even wrote his own RPG ;)...

if you dig minimalsim check darkthrone's trynsilvanian hunger and under a funeral moon, especially the former! every song is 2/3 riffs max and the drums just go "dunn dunn dunn dunn dunn" ad infinitum, legendary shit.

heavy mucke like swans = um neurosis / isis / cult of luna that kinda stuff probably (not really my alley, tho i do love "through silver in blood" by neurosis)

in terms of "djent" (=meshuggah ripoff musics) there's this band called "animals as leaders" (yeah...), they don't have a singer at all but are actually kinda jazzy/fusion lots of the time. i think they're bearable for what it is, extremely wanky tho.

anyway metal without at least some degree of silliness is an oxymoron... just join the legion!! :)

(great for working out, too!)

Edited by jaderpansen

aye cheers that’s some stuff to check out! think I can get into Drakthrone...

listened to Isis a ton back in the day (that’s fkn 15 years ago now omg....)

basically listened to nu metal as a kid & when that milk turned sour I never turned back & gave proper metal the chance it deserved

aye cheers that’s some stuff to check out! think I can get into Drakthrone...

listened to Isis a ton back in the day (that’s fkn 15 years ago now omg....)

basically listened to nu metal as a kid & when that milk turned sour I never turned back & gave proper metal the chance it deserved

i guess this'll never get old:

dmnUp8N.gif

Played a gig with Orthrelm 15 years or so ago, quite intense!

awesome! i had the pleasure of seeing them 2003 or something in basel with the locust. it was pre-OV non-repetitive set, in-cuh-redible!!

what-song-makes-you-do-this.jpg

must've been cool to share the stage with em, what's your band mang?

awesome! i had the pleasure of seeing them 2003 or something in basel with the locust. it was pre-OV non-repetitive set, in-cuh-redible!!

Yeah, same tour then! At that time I played in Noplacetohide.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1j9W0zzRFKghw5AII8aTKr

Yeah, same tour then! At that time I played in Noplacetohide.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1j9W0zzRFKghw5AII8aTKr

yo! i don't use spotify but i checked your stuff on bandcamp. judging by the name i'd have expected some lost & found new school hardcore or something XD...

actually i liked the 92 demo best :D violent deathrash with some exceptional vokills, really good shit! with subseqent releases it seems like you became more and more shuggah worship (contradicitons~chaossphere) and on the last one more -core, sadly omitting guitar solos n stuff, which were awesome! first album certainly still has some good stuffs, standouts were sole and yearning (studio version even adding a little blast at the end :)).

anyway, even if it's not all for me your musicianship skills are non-debatable, specially your lead guitar player and drummer! (the clean vocals kinda suck tho XP) kudos!

edit: oh and what's with the german titles? XD

Edited by jaderpansen