IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

Yeah, they've really set a sound for themselves, in the same way that Meshuggah has.

I once had a dream that Corpsegrinder started including melodic vocals in CC songs lol. I don't think he can actually sing though, right? I've only ever heard him growl in whatever bands he's been in.

lol, could you imagine them doing a 90s Metallica change of style

Bloodthirst is my favourite, mostly because it was the first one I heard.. but it has some damn catchy riffs and passages. Some stuff bordering on stoner metal riffs, which is a great contrast from the super fast atonal stuff.

Disclaimer: I've only really given time to Bloodthirst and Kill, but the other stuff from the last 20 years seems pretty consistently good. I've never heard any of the pre-Corpsegrinder stuff.

edit: currently giving their latest one "Red Before Black" a go, sounds a lot more thrashy than the other stuff I've heard, fkn AWESOME

Edited by modey

I think I'd enjoy CC a lot more if they didn't have their vocals so upfront.  Don't get me wrong, the gross out lyrics are a lot of fun... but you need the lyric sheet to really decipher them anyway, regardless of how loud they are, and they really do shift the focus away from the awesomeness of everything else.  Like, that Frantic Disembowelment track was total perfection, and the title paints a pretty enough picture without Corpsegrinder needing to elaborate upon it.  I'm curious who here would really miss the vocals if CC became an all instrumental band tomorrow.  

I think I'd enjoy CC a lot more if they didn't have their vocals so upfront.  Don't get me wrong, the gross out lyrics are a lot of fun... but you need the lyric sheet to really decipher them anyway, regardless of how loud they are, and they really do shift the focus away from the awesomeness of everything else.  Like, that Frantic Disembowelment track was total perfection, and the title paints a pretty enough picture without Corpsegrinder needing to elaborate upon it.  I'm curious who here would really miss the vocals if CC became an all instrumental band tomorrow.  

Yeah that's an interesting point. He is quite monotone in his delivery, but I do think I'd miss the vocals; despite the monotone, I like the texture, and he does some interesting stuff rhythmically as well. Also, it's very satisfying when he occasionally breaks into a higher pitch scream imo!

Plus he seems like a big dopey sweetie in interviews so I can't hate on him at all :P

Their riffs groove pretty hard though, so I expected they would be crazy tight live, and they were.  Cannibal Corpse is less about the groove and more about speed/complexity.  Whatever sounds like the musical equivalent of bodily mutilation.  Makes sense if it's kind of messy.

Meshuggah are headlining a festival i'll be going to next year, hope they're good. they sound pretty tight from what i can tell from YouTube vids

also the new Horrendous is fukn noice !!

I've seen Meshuggah as well and they were very tight. It left an impression on me actually.

EDIT: I forgot to say I went and watched some CC rehearsal youtube stuff and they seemed really tight, so maybe I was attending bum shows, hungover, etc who knows.

Edited by qualitycontrol

Would love to see Opeth live at some point.

Strapping Young Lad and Dethklok were both about as tight as humanly possible when I saw them (both times in the case of SYL)... come to think of it, they both had Gene Hoglan drumming, so that's not surprising.  Devon Townsend is one of the most impressive live vocalists I've seen.  His sing-scream is ludicrous.  Best metal face too.

*also, it boggles my mind how Gene Hoglan can stay so fat when his limbs are constantly moving at mach 10.  Guy must eat like a Sumo wrestler.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

teh shuggah always tight live yo.

speaking of live:

DIS FRIDAY PFOIPFOD TYMeé!!   :catnope:  :wtf: 

Originally i was looking forward to them hits of olde primarily, but now i'm super-eager to hear tracks like "end of dormancy" live, too!

Ayyy this is out soon

This has such a rad cover I wanted to have a gander so slsk'd it at 5am this morning in order to listen while walking to work.

The 320 copy I dloaded turned out to be a heavy surface noise vinyl rip. Ripped so quietly it sounded like it was coming from a transistor radio from another room when full volume on my phone. ffs why?

Will try again tomorrow.

Edited by hello spiral

Opeth now are just doing the prog thing - which is cool and all - but I'd rather see them do technical death

Yeah, I guess it's the pre-Heritage Opeth I want to see live.  Ghost Reveries is the shit.  Man, it's been a long time since I've listened to Opeth.  I think a discog listening is in order.  I actually haven't heard their last two albums - their latest prog offerings could be superior in every way for all I know.

Ayyy this is out soon

This has such a rad cover I wanted to have a gander so slsk'd it at 5am this morning in order to listen while walking to work.

The 320 copy I dloaded turned out to be a heavy surface noise vinyl rip. Ripped so quietly it sounded like it was coming from a transistor radio from another room when full volume on my phone. ffs why?

Will try again tomorrow.

The youtube link would have worked better. 'tis a very good listen, they're one of my favorite recent bands. 

New High on Fire is a strong showing. Will listen more.

This band Zealotry is cool, and I'd recommend anything by them.

Ayyy this is out soon

Will try again tomorrow.

The youtube link would have worked better. 'tis a very good listen, they're one of my favorite recent bands. 

Yaya. Unfortunately music on youtube via phone never goes well. Either something in my pocket keeps pausing or jumping the timeline about or it drains all my battery

meets breakcore.

lol, pls no.

Board Up The House was a massive improvement on the first album as well, which is not to say the first one was bad. really wonder why they just quit.