Guest Al5x

Metal Appreciation Thread!

glimpse of upcoming Mgla

5 hours ago, usagi said:

glimpse of upcoming Mgla

pretty generic, non?

dunno, haven't listened to it enough times. it does on first listen sound like they're going backwards a bit from the more interesting direction in With Hearts.

Sorry if jazz but I recently discovered a doom and nihilistic band who plays some sick and heavy shit. 

“When the last light
Burns out in your dense skull
I'll inhale the smoke
That comes from your burnt bones

On 8/8/2019 at 3:19 AM, zaizai said:

Nu gatecreeper

sounds nice, looking forward to this one

I’m about to see Neurosis for the first time. My shitposting will be more enlightened from now on. 

wish Black Breath would put out something new. I love everything this band's done, when they're not doing death metal they can pull of a perfect fusion of metal and punk styles.

time to lighten this thread up a bit with some classic hellgian speed metal:

3 hours ago, usagi said:

wish Black Breath would put out something new. I love everything this band's done, when they're not doing death metal they can pull of a perfect fusion of metal and punk styles.

Totally agree, Black Breath is the shit. I think I recall them cancelling some shows recently? Hope they're still making music.

One of the best shows I've ever been to in my life was seeing Black Breath play a house show in a gnarly punk basement, right before Heavy Breathing came out. I had never heard of them before and just got totally blown away by shit like I Am Beyond. One of those "Holy shit, who the fuck is this?!" moments. Got to smoke a lil weed with the guitarist after the show too. Good times

nice. well, there appears to have been no news from them since the end of 2016 so I'm assuming they're either on a long hiatus or defunct. pity, they're one of the best from the new crop of HM2 bands.

Posted (edited)

Black Breath good 

Gatecreeper good 

This new Russian Circles scratched an itch this morning

Edited by Stickfigger
Wrong link

devourment just dropped a new album, sounds great!

https://devourment.bandcamp.com/album/obscene-majesty

got the drummer and vocalist again from molesting the decapitated on it, one of the best death metal albums ever made

can't wait to check out the lyrics

Neurosis was really good live. Maybe I would have chosen a different setlist, but they made it rule. They closed with Stones From The Sky which was pretty epic. I kept wondering if Scott Kelly was okay. 

there's new Russian Circles? I need to hear that.

9 hours ago, Candiru said:

Neurosis was really good live. Maybe I would have chosen a different setlist, but they made it rule. They closed with Stones From The Sky which was pretty epic. I kept wondering if Scott Kelly was okay. 

if you mean "inside", I'd say he's not. he's quite open to discussing some of this stuff and it's obvious it feeds into the music and helps make Neurosis what it is. legendary band, the flame they've started burns brighter with each new release I feel.

10 hours ago, Candiru said:

Interesting comment. First time i saw them in 2014 it was almost like a greatest hits set, when i saw them in 2017 it was much , much more obscure. I must admit i preferred the first setlist

Posted (edited)

Holding Neurosis in high regard despite never fully falling in love with them. Through Silver in Blood i still put on quite regularly but i kinda lost track of em after Times of Grace. Any standout releases after that?

Dis is good track imo:

... and the one with the bagpipes. yeah.

Edited by jaderpansen

Posted (edited)

They get more post-rock with A Sun That Never Sets and The Eye Of Every Storm, but these ones will sneak up on you. TEOES is one of my faves. Given To The Rising goes back to being more heavy, and Honor Found In Decay/Fires Within Fires are late-career-but-still-really-good albums.

Edited by Candiru

oi, gonna give storm and the heavy one a spin. thanks!

Posted (edited)

Quick shoutout to one of the nastiest riffs of the 1990's

Edited by NI64
  • Like 2

Has anyone seen this movie?

It’s fucking brilliant. Definitely a must-see film for metalheads. So much gold in there that only headbangers can truly appreciate. It’s super funny too. 

Nu Slipknot 

I like the vocal treatment on that Morbid Angel song.  Also, weird fade-out.

Hey guys,

Anyone know this band, The Great Sabatini from Montreal? They put out an album called "dog years" 5 years ago that was all over the place and rather unhinged and that I therefore rather liked. Last year's followup was a bit more run of the mill, but, anyway: does anyone have any recommendations for further stuff in this vein?

Thanks!