IGNORED

Clark On Music Academy Radio

Redruth

chrisclark1.jpg

Signing with Warp at the age of 20 whilst still at University, Chris Clark - or Clark to you and I - is considered to be the

most warp-ish of all the young Warp artists. He's definitely a lot closer to Aphex Twin and Autechre than he is to Maximo Park

or Gang Gang Dance anyway and has certainly benefited from Warp's 'hands-off' approach to his creativity. In the eight years

since he was invited into the stable, he has delivered five albums and his musicianship and musical style has developed and

grown in all the right directions. In this Fireside Chat Chris talks us through some of the incredible music he has

made in his already prolific career.

Music Academy Radio

• 2 weeks later...

I am sad about what he said about 'Empty the Bones of You.'

This isn't the first time I've been surprised by what an artist considers their own worst album. I suppose this means we won't be getting anything that sounds as dark and mysteriously beautiful as that masterpiece again. :-(

Fascinating. It's really interesting how different his opinion of his music is than my own. He says that he thinks Totems Flare is his best of the "trilogy" when I think most would agree with me that Body Riddle outshines it by far! At least as a work of "beard stroking art". I do love Totems Flare as an album and its much better than Turning Dragon, but Body Riddle seems to have more substance to me.

I also found it interesting that Clarence Park was written completely in just three weeks! That's wild. I also found it interesting that he didn't initially intend to release Turning Dragon as an album, and that was more pressed on by Warp, which makes a lot sense really.

Also, Empty The Bones of You being his least favorite album of his? I voted it my most favorite in the favorite album poll!!! It was a toss up between Empty The Bones & Body Riddle to me, and I chose Empty The Bones purely because it has more songs on it so there is more to enjoy haha

etboy of you is my fav too but it's really no surprise he likes his most recent the best and doesn't care for his older stuff. he probably feels like he has advanced and learned so much since then. as an artist, it would be bad if he thought the stuff he made 7 or 8 years ago was better than what he is doing now.

Thanks for the link, good tracks and quite insightful...

I had no idea he played drums and that he samples himself on a lot of tracks.

And I suppose while it's understandable how an artist would be more enamored with his current direction I wonder if he can appreciate that a lot of fans out there prefer his earlier stuff.

Interesting too how he sees his last three albums as sort of a trilogy... if the music were left to speak for itself I'd never have thought that

Guest hahathhat

Interesting too how he sees his last three albums as sort of a trilogy... if the music were left to speak for itself I'd never have thought that

i could tell they went together... but i didn't know it was a trilogy until he said it. it means his next album will probably be off somewhere different! for all i knew there was a fourth coming...

i could tell they went together... but i didn't know it was a trilogy until he said it.

i've seen people (including here) refer to it as the 'compression trilogy'. which is a horrible term. but sorta correct.

i could tell they went together... but i didn't know it was a trilogy until he said it.

i've seen people (including here) refer to it as the 'compression trilogy'. which is a horrible term. but sorta correct.

Well, except Body Riddle.

Guest hahathhat

how else do you expect the man to bomb us with ceramics?

Guest hahathhat

how in the fucking hell did Red Bull insert their brand name into electronic music culture? does anybody else find this extremely odd?

red bull pours money into all sorts of odd shit so people keep pouring red bull. some downhill race chasing cheese wheels into ice water. F1 cars. nascars. crates of it show up at tv studios when no one ordered any... i wager they keep doing RBMA because people like it.

Archived