IGNORED

any ZAPPA heads up in this spot?

Guest yikes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

Damn right boyee. I've been pretty obsessed with Zappa for fifteen odd years

The favourites list changes all the time but at the moment it's looking something like:

Lumpy Gravy

Absolutely Free

The Man from Utopia

Hot Rats

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

We're Only in it for the Money

Bongo Fury

Them or Us

200 Motels

One Size Fits All

Guest ansgaria

I'm a fairly recent fan, didn't get into his musical output until somewhere in the end of 2009, but I've got a few records including all three Joe's Garage parts on vinyl, Hot Rats, Apostrophe', Sheik Yerbouti and such.

Absolutely fantastic stuff. I've also got a soft spot for Ike Willis' vocal. Damn.

Guest Wall Bird

Absolutely. If I could have a bust of his head hanging out on my bookshelf I would.

I will forever have a soft spot for the 'Roxy and Elsewhere' recording of 'The Bebop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)'

Also, Billy the Mountain.

No that has to be Delia Derbyshire back in early 60's!

Anyway, big Zappa fan here since I first heard Jewish Princess in 2003, seen and read many interviews and done quite a lot of reading about him also. My favorite albums always vary every time, lately I'm listening to Joe's Garage and Hot Rats again lately, but also Wazoo (2007), One Shot Deal (2008) and The Yellow Shark.

I'm quite bummed out that I missed the Zappa plays Zappa show. 4 times in a row. Saw the DVD 2 weeks ago though, great recording and brilliant musicians!

Absolutely. If I could have a bust of his head hanging out on my bookshelf I would.

That would be entirely awesome.

Guest Greg Reason

I saw Zappa Plays Zappa both times they toured here; they're bloody fantastic but PAINFULLY loud

And yeah Delia was the bomb eh, that White Noise album she did in the '70s is ludicrously good

Guest futuregirlfriend

Any suggestions for a Zappa fan that has heard probably all the Zappa material. I'm aware of Beefheart, Magma, most Rock in Opposition sort of stuff, some more recent things like Jono El Grande, Mats/Morgan Band - there are probably lots of obvious things that I'm oblivious to though.

With what guest artists did you see them? Because the only thing I didn't like about that DVD of Zappa plays Zappa was Steve Vai's behaviour while playing a solo. Given, he is one of the best there is, and the solos are amazing, but damn he is acting like he is giving birth to a triplet every high note he plays.

(Also, the White Noise album was already released in 1969, unbelievable yeah! In the booklet they also mention that most of the tracks were recorded in early 1968!)

Guest Greg Reason

With what guest artists did you see them? Because the only thing I didn't like about that DVD of Zappa plays Zappa was Steve Vai's behaviour while playing a solo. Given, he is one of the best there is, and the solos are amazing, but damn he is acting like he is giving birth to a triplet every high note he plays.

The first time they had Ike Willis and Steve Vai (yeah he's the world's biggest ham, nothing we can do about it hehe) but second time around they didn't have any guests.

I was real dirty cause on that first tour I think Terry Bozzio was playing every show except Brisbane; I'd seen Vai before and could frankly live without seeing him ever again but Bozzio I was very excited about! Ah well, another time....

I have seen Vinnie Colaiuta though when he came out here with Herbie and that was simply mindblowing.

i like the mothers of invention albums but a lot of zappa is really overblown wank

that's od...im the exact opposite...can't stand the mothers of invention albums.

glad to hear there is love for Roxy and Elsewhere...the end of Echidna's Arp/Arf? is one of my favorite moments in music

Guest Wall Bird

Nah the first official IDM record has to go to Herbie Hancock's Sextant... 1971 motherfuckers!

Wrong again. Try Morton Subotnick's 'Silver Apples of the Moon' (1967). Hell, I bet there are even earlier examples than that.

• 4 months later...
Guest illfly mandog

I've always liked Zappa and heard plenty of his big hits...but lately I have been tail spinning into his discography. What an insanely dynamic character. Zoot Allures is what caused the tail spin. Not every track is the hottness but some are just sooo damn good. Black Napkin gave me a new appreciation for the blues.

A true artist.

Archived