IGNORED

any ZAPPA heads up in this spot?

Guest yikes

^ Around 2005 during lessons in school there were a lot of days where I just listened to Guitar + Shut Up And Play Y'r Guitar exclusively, which was a four hour playlist I'd just never get tired of. It felt like reprogramming my mind whilst doing chores. Then a year or so later Trance-Fusion was released and I could expand my solo-only playlist with another hour :)

Talking about the Zappa family: which will come first, Half Life 3 or Roxy & Elsewhere DVD (I was going to include new Aphex Twin album in here too, but alas :))?

Ha, Roxy and Aphex beat HL3! I just found the Roxy DVD by complete suprise a few months ago, full on YouTube (shared it in another Zappa thread here but it's already been deleted obviously). It's absolutely amazing, but unfortunately a lot of tracks didn't make it. It still beats the Baby Snakes DVD imo (although... MUFFIN MAN).

Recent faves I've been rediscovering again are Civilization Phase III, Carnegie Hall and Sleep Dirt.

(probably the best version of King Kong ever recorded)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Around 2005 during lessons in school there were a lot of days where I just listened to Guitar + Shut Up And Play Y'r Guitar exclusively, which was a four hour playlist I'd just never get tired of. It felt like reprogramming my mind whilst doing chores. Then a year or so later Trance-Fusion was released and I could expand my solo-only playlist with another hour :)

Talking about the Zappa family: which will come first, Half Life 3 or Roxy & Elsewhere DVD (I was going to include new Aphex Twin album in here too, but alas :))?

Ha, Roxy and Aphex beat HL3! I just found the Roxy DVD by complete suprise a few months ago, full on YouTube (shared it in another Zappa thread here but it's already been deleted obviously). It's absolutely amazing, but unfortunately a lot of tracks didn't make it. It still beats the Baby Snakes DVD imo (although... MUFFIN MAN).

Recent faves I've been rediscovering again are Civilization Phase III, Carnegie Hall and Sleep Dirt.

(probably the best version of King Kong ever recorded)

Choice selection, man. Particularly like The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution and King Kong Live. :ok:

Guitar, Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, Shiekh Yerbouti & One Size Fits All are my faves and but opening up to more of Frank's output. There's so much material it's daunting knowing where to start!

I was an obnoxiously obsessive Zappa fan throughout high school and most of college. When I was 15 or 16 I even emailed Gail Zappa and asked if the family would ever consider reissuing An Evening with Wild Man Fischer (this was before I knew much about the falling out between him and the Zappas) and got a friendly "not likely" reply from her.

Still love most of his music, I've just heard it so much in my life that I don't listen to him that often any more.

The roxy movie is great, but I have to admit that I much prefer the album version.

as I understand, there was 3 nights and they took the best version of each track...... Having listen to Roxy elswhere so often, its very special to finally see them play. its so weird to finally see them play! I had a mental image of the show so different.

Zappa is for me one of the most gifted musician.

• 2 months later...

I kind have similar views on this and would love to see other actual sound professionals tackle the restoring and the digital archiving of this vault for public procurement. I don't see anyone else jumpin to the punchthough and if there is any truth to the quality of said material it should be done as soon as possible. *shrug* *throws cash at random zappa looking ppl*

• 1 month later...

this confirms my worst fears about this documentary: apparently moon and dweezil have major reservations over tone and direction of it (DUDE ZAPPA WAS THE BEST HE COULD SHRED BUT HE WAS ALSO POLITICAL) but ahmet and diva have total control over the family trust? would much rather having the slightly sad dweezil - world-biggest-zappa-fan, archivist and hagiographer, who tours the world playing his dad's music with his old band members - in control of things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/business/media/whats-in-a-name-just-ask-frank-zappas-feuding-heirs.html?_r=0

Oh man, that's really sad to read... I've always been following Moon and Dweezil on Twitter and I did see some cryptic dubious tweets towards the documentary and couldn't figure out what was up or who exactly was running the Family Trust but they sure didn't seem to agree with it.

and I actually thought with Gails passing it would just improve the situation business-wise...

Oh man that kickstarter trailer was cringey as hell. I hope the movie doesn't follow this tone.

So sad to read about the rift in the family. Ahmet comes off as a gross hollywood producer type. If you look at the news section of Zappa.com he promotes a cartoon hes involved with???

StarDarlings.jpg

Very sad, the state of all things Zappa. The family seem to have forgotten everything the man himself stood for. To see that amazing body of work, both released and otherwise, mis-managed is a tragedy.

Wow that kickstarter trailer is awful.

"Look at how zany this guy was!"

Really looks like it's gonna be aimed at ADHD millenials, to the detriment of actual fans.

came here to post that jan, he seems like a genuinely nice dude! i dunno... :doge:

Yeah, this is why it's a bad idea to fight this out in public. I'm sure their both swell guys and I'm also sure both are not telling the entire story, they just need to fix this in private.

• 4 weeks later...

nu doc:

[youtubehd]QRl00P6rVAw[/youtubehd]

looks good, especially compared to the cheesy vibe I got off that bill'n'ted guy.

Indeed. Definitely putting this on my watch list.

My fave Zappa docu was always this one (not complete on YouTube though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEBpg5B03fE

Archived