IGNORED

any ZAPPA heads up in this spot?

Guest yikes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah the first official IDM record has to go to Herbie Hancock's Sextant... 1971 motherfuckers!

Wrong again. Try Morton Subotnick's 'Silver Apples of the Moon' (1967). Hell, I bet there are even earlier examples than that.

Probably Varese - Deserts (for percussion, wind and electronic tape) written in 1950. (though i suppose technically it was never recorded until much later).

Which ties in very nicely with a thread on Frank Zappa since he wrote this.

Guest illfly mandog
Nah the first official IDM record has to go to Herbie Hancock's Sextant... 1971 motherfuckers!
Wrong again. Try Morton Subotnick's 'Silver Apples of the Moon' (1967). Hell, I bet there are even earlier examples than that.
Probably Varese - Deserts (for percussion, wind and electronic tape) written in 1950. (though i suppose technically it was never recorded until much later).Which ties in very nicely with a thread on Frank Zappa since he wrote this.

I was just turned on to Varese today! Shit is rad!

• 3 years later...

I just know Zootallures, which I discovered something like two years ago and which I've been listening to surprisingly quite often lately. I'm downloading Joe's Garage right now, hope I'll like it! Any other recommendations welcomed.

PS: I heard Hot Rats in a car during last holidays and was a little bit disappointed that their is practically no voice on it. I'm sure it's a good album if you give it time but I'd like to start with albums with funny voices like on Zootallures (sorry if that sounds silly to a Zappa fan).

I just know Zootallures, which I discovered something like two years ago and which I've been listening to surprisingly quite often lately. I'm downloading Joe's Garage right now, hope I'll like it! Any other recommendations welcomed.

PS: I heard Hot Rats in a car during last holidays and was a little bit disappointed that their is practically no voice on it. I'm sure it's a good album if you give it time but I'd like to start with albums with funny voices like on Zootallures (sorry if that sounds silly to a Zappa fan).

Perfect starters and the most recommended albums in that case would be Overnite Sensation / Apostrophe. Have fun :)!

I never really ventured beyond the live in New York album (which is fucking amazing), only because I didn't know where to go after that. That said, I picked up a vinyl copy of Jazz From Hell the other day, which I have heard before, but always forget how ridiculously dense it is!

Perfect starters and the most recommended albums in that case would be Overnite Sensation / Apostrophe. Have fun :)!

cool thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that when I've heard Joe's Garage.

used to love playing this lick on bass. Don't listen to him much anymore, but the guy had an immense catalog of grooves. Grand Wazoo/Waka jawaka are some solid choices for the jazz/fusion type.

[youtubehd]JnPwPZPDTC4[/youtubehd]

not a favorite track by any means, but the steel pedal solo in the middle will make you happy.

[youtubehd]u2NUiV0oK9U[/youtubehd]

cool thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that when I've heard Joe's Garage.

If you like Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti is also one of the first album people try: semi-live album with loads of funny stuff / funny voices / stories, etc.

One Size Fits All + Roxy & Elsewhere if you liked any of the albums above. Then progress from there :) I would say his 70's output is the best, but it's completely subjected to mood (vocals or instrumentals, jazz or funny stuff, etc.).

What pisses me off about Zappa is the unnecesary amount of remixing/re-recording/overal George Lucas-like shenanigans he commited at the beggining of the CD era. There are some remixes that are practically completely different albums (See: "Cruising with Rubin & The Jets"). Infinite gratitude goes to the Zappa Family Trust and the excelent work they've been doing reissuing the out of print originals

What pisses me off about Zappa is the unnecesary amount of remixing/re-recording/overal George Lucas-like shenanigans he commited at the beggining of the CD era. There are some remixes that are practically completely different albums (See: "Cruising with Rubin & The Jets"). Infinite gratitude goes to the Zappa Family Trust and the excelent work they've been doing reissuing the out of print originals

Some albums I've only heard the remaster of. For example, Hot Rats, been listening and loving that for 11+ years. Found the first US vinyl press really cheap last month, put it on and was amazed by the amount of differences from the CD version I have. Not sure which I prefer now... In case of We're Only In It For The Money, I like both versions (and it's really rare for me to like a remaster), depends on my mood, but the idea he just threw away the drums and bass parts and redid them is just ridiculous.

Also, Sleep Dirt. Those vocals. What the hell was he thinking? Instrumentally it's such an amazing album!

I never really liked Ruben & The Jets though, maybe it's because I only have the remaster...

Talking about the Zappa family: which will come first, Half Life 3 or Roxy & Elsewhere DVD (I was going to include new Aphex Twin album in here too, but alas :))?

Guest murphythecat8

in this order of preference:

Apostrophe

Wakajawaka

the grand wazoo

Joe's garage

One size fits all

imo, those are the most important albums from zappa.

then, you can add:

roxy and elswhere

overnite sensation

were only in it for the money

zoot allure

studio tan

hot rats

burnt weeny sandwhich

uncle meat

all the rest of his albums can be easily discarded

Dont forget to listen to your favorite tracks bootleg style! Zappa is the artist with the most bootleg available basically. He recorded himself every show from the end of 60's to the 80's.

Guest capitan mission

big zappa fan, via frank i discovered Beefheart, and that guy... that guy is the real deal.
favs:
freak out
Hot rats (beefheart signs in one track, two heroes together)
Civilization phase III (is electronic and owns 95% of "idm" records)
Sheik Yerbouti
Aphostrophe/Overnite sensation
Joes Garage
too many albums to select a few...

and that "idm" origins discussion is stupid.
Stockhausen made electronics tracks in the 50¨s that are the best music ever, but I wouldn't call that, or Delia, Subotnick, etc, "IDM"

• 1 year later...

turns out Baby Snakes: the movie is the perfect set-up for a bad trip, i talk from experience here hehe, and i truly recommend it to everyone! xD

[youtubehd]hhjZCXFbe-w[/youtubehd]

Btw, a bluray HD version of Roxy: the movie came out last year, amazing image and sound quality!!!
[youtubehd]YPIwdlnoKyA[/youtubehd]

funny cause i was totally the opposite on the beginning (about 1 year ago), i was looking mainly for instrumental songs...

now i'm into everything!!! really dig George Duke's vocals...

so? what about Joe's Garage? hell of an album right?

Archived