Los Angeles (January 14, 2011) __ Twentieth Century Fox announced today that Ridley Scott

will direct PROMETHEUS, an original science fiction epic, for worldwide release on March 9,

2012. The initial draft of the script was written by Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) from Scott's

idea. Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek) and Scott have since been working together on the

current version which has expanded the story into new directions.

Story details are being closely guarded so as not to spoil surprises for moviegoers, but Scott

explained the outlines of the film and its genesis as follows: "While Alien was indeed the

jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology

and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of

Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I

couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return

to this genre that's so close to my heart."

http://www.badassdig...-whole-new-idea

If HR Giger is still onboard with this as he was supposedly with the Alien prequel, then I will get excited. Hopefully this sci-fi epic will be a return to form by Scott.

Edited by azatoth

We'll he hasn't done sci-fi since Blade Runner and that along with Alien are his stronger films. So maybe he re-discovers that spark. The last movie of his I saw was Body of Lies, which I thought was a decent espionage thriller although forgettable.

Edited by azatoth

I couldn't figure out how that prequel would have really been an Alien film anyway

It would have probably shed light on what the Space Jockey and the derelict ship was or some sort of origin story for the xenomorphs. Personally I don't really care if there ever will be a continuation of the Alien franchise. Four movies is enough, with one of them already being a disaster.

Guest disparaissant

I couldn't figure out how that prequel would have really been an Alien film anyway

It would have probably shed light on what the Space Jockey and the derelict ship was or some sort of origin story for the xenomorphs. Personally I don't really care if there ever will be a continuation of the Alien franchise. Four movies is enough, with one of them already being a disaster.

not to mention the trainwreck that is the avp series...

body of lies was underrated I thought. Rest of his recent output has been very poor, agreed. I though there were some good moments here and there in Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, the prob is both films were brought down by cliche characters and dialogue...hard for me to imagine Scott being able to handle anything with any sort of subtlety or nuance at this stage in his life (without lapsing into utter tedium)...so maybe BIG SCARY ALIENZ will be ok :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Coalbucket PI

Gladiator is great. are people counting that as a bad film now?

Yeah I figured that too, but engineering humans into a story about that would seem a bit forced.

re: Gladiator, I never liked it. I liked the intro with Joaquin Phoenix killing his dad, but from that point on it seemed to be a pretty cookie-cutter macho revenge flick. Also the vfx were pretty bad. Was probably in the minority there I guess....

I hope they keep it low key - actually, on the verge of being boring because slow paced sci-fi movies are the best (i.e. Blade Runner).

One thing I that is already bothering me is the fact that the Xenomorph is no longer frightening. The first Alien movie did a great job at making me creature creepy as hell because you never really saw the damn thing until the very end. Then James Cameron turned it into an action movie and showed us even more Xenomorphs which lowered the fright-value, and then Fincher... *static*.... and then Jean-Pierre Jeunet.. *static* .....fucking... *static* FUCK!

Yeah.

I think Alien 3 is a decent contribution to Alien franchise and it gets unfairly shit on. It didn't help that Fox had to meddle with it and mess it up. I liked the style of it, even if it's a slight rehash of the first movie.

As for Scott's other movies, the Kingdom of Heaven extended cut is supposedly much better than the original cut.

I think Alien 3 is a decent contribution to Alien franchise and it gets unfairly shit on. It didn't help that Fox had to meddle with it and mess it up. I liked the style of it, even if it's a slight rehash of the first movie.

You're right. The director's cut is actually a whole lot better than the original.

Alien is Dan O Bannon and HR Giger's baby. It doesn't belong to Ridley Scott. Obannon is dead and Giger says he's in retirement (but his wife says hes interested in working with Scott, im waiting till i hear it directly from him). if it's just Ridley Scott doing an alien prequel its not going to work, so i'm ok with the idea of a 'loosely based on alien' kind of prequel, but will it have human characters? If it does it will be problematic, because they will have to do some form of comic book style retcon. If its not human characters it will be problematic since it's going to most closely resemble Avatar. Scott's film career of the past 2 decades kind of tells me that Bladerunner and Alien were flukes.

You're right. The director's cut is actually a whole lot better than the original.

is this the 2003 directors cut? I've never seen it, but i've heard there is even another cut floating around.

Edited by Awepittance

never really got the common comment that blade runner is seen as a slow film, i think its pacing is perfect and i never ever feel bored or that a shot isnt important

Absolutely no faith in the Alien franchise anymore, so I guess it's a smart move to try to separate these new films from it. Still though, I'm not really interested. Not until there's an awesome artwork photo or trailer anyway.

Alien is Dan O Bannon and HR Giger's baby. It doesn't belong to Ridley Scott.

no it doesn't solely belong to Ridley Scott. but are you seriously saying that you cannot see the influence he had on the creative process of the film? if so, you really are picking and choosing facts.

Any Alien film now will be subject to unfair criticism. The franchise is a dead horse. It should have been about horror, not cheesy sci-fi action.

This new project will have a fair chance to do well on it's own without the negatively biased expectations.

I'm glad they aren't doing the prequel, and I hope Russell Crowe isn't in this one.

Black Hawk Down was pretty decent for a modern war movie.

Alien is Dan O Bannon and HR Giger's baby. It doesn't belong to Ridley Scott.

no it doesn't solely belong to Ridley Scott. but are you seriously saying that you cannot see the influence he had on the creative process of the film? if so, you really are picking and choosing facts.

i can see the influence he had at the time, but for him to go back now and take helm of it without any input fro the person who created the fucking ALIEN UNIVERSE it's a little bit shameful. the only thing that will save this is HR Giger, if hes not helping in any way i have absolutely no interest in seeing this. Ridley Scott's recent track record of the last 2 decades is abominable