Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PROMETHEUS / COVENANT - SPOILERS INBOUND!!
ALIEN movies thread

incredible movie better than alien big budget cgi best opening in hollywood looks like a new age cd cover compelling drama characters that feel human

• Please log in to reply
3685 replies to this topic

#3651 Squee

Squee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,920 posts
  • 379 topics
  • Joined 16-June 04

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:25 AM

Isolation needs to be on that list, and in 3rd or possibly even 2nd position.

Isolation is better than 2... and 3, and 4..... and Prometheus and Covenant.

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

2 is really bad. The effects are still amazing, but overall the movie really hasn't aged well. 

#3652 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

2 is really bad. The effects are still amazing, but overall the movie really hasn't aged well. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12056258

:wink:

#3653 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,984 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

come on now...2 is not anywhere near really bad.

#3654 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,685 posts
  • 229 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10
  • PSN:fletchymole

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:26 PM

Fight me!
Not better then 2 imo

Aliens is amazing.

Mostly.

#3655 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,513 posts
  • 127 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:riven, cum town, purple camo
  • PSN:ohm_sweet_ohm

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

couldn't watch it. horrible tone all over the place in classic jimmy cameron style. then the fucking kid shows up. just the wrong choice after alien which is a flawless thriller with scifi paint. big goofy action movie is perfect in terminator 1 and 2 but in aliens is just seems hammy. paul reiser lmao. not a "bad" film but probably the most overrated film of that ilk.

Edited by dr lopez, 28 February 2019 - 08:24 PM.

#3656 Amen Warrior

Amen Warrior

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • 73 topics
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

Aliens was absolutely amazing when I was about 12

#3657 iococoi

iococoi

... and the proverbial hits the fan

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-April 11
  • Interests:Mille Feuille, Fille Millieu

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Aliens

8VwFqxr.jpg

#3658 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,685 posts
  • 229 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

Aliens was absolutely amazing when I was about 12

exactly, proper amazing at the time. Watched it so much I could recite the script word for word. Directors cut and all.

Fuck, hope I'm ill off work soon. I'm gonna binge the blu ray quadrilogy

#3659 Roo

Roo

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • Interests:Life

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yeah I did that every couple years binge session last December, audio commentarys and BTS docus and all. Good times.

Aliens was also my word-for-word fave when I was about 10-14. Must have watched my various version rentals, taped VHS, Legacy and Quadrilogy DVDs around 40 times. Got to see a Terminator-Aliens double header at the cinema in 2013, which was like a trip back to that childhood and the 2 films which meant the most to me then.

I became more fascinated with Alien (even Alien 3) as a teen & young adult, but everytime I return to Aliens nowadays I still admire the effective filmmaking.

Edited by Roo, 01 March 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#3660 olo

olo

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Joined 04-June 13
  • Interests:Frequency

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:32 AM

Some highschoolers put on Alien...the play.

https://bloody-disgu...ts-alien-video/

brilliant.

#3661 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/arranha-ceus
  • Interests:^◊^

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:16 AM

#3662 fletcher

fletcher

ϧAÆF┘├÷x╝¦

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,685 posts
  • 229 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

Probably already in this thread a couple of times but worth a bump anyway

#3663 MDM Chaos

MDM Chaos

Wealthy industrialist and philanthropist.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts
  • 136 topics
  • Joined 02-April 13
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/desolatepresents

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

that never gets old fletch  :derp:

#3664 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Who & why designed the chest-burster?

It's just gonna be David because he developed some stupid god complex and views androids as the next bastard step in evolution. His stupid lab is pictured below.
And if this ain't right, it's gonna be something equally as stupid.
Screen-Shot-2017-02-28-at-7.47.55-PM.jpg

OMG - you are probably right. If it turns out a human-created android created the Aliens we know as Aliens (Xenomorphs)... Ridley needs to just retire at this point, IMO.

Wouldn't that involve time travel? Also it would make it patently absurd that Weyland is funding missions to find something he already indirectly created.

How's time travel involved? Prometheus/Covenant takes place before the first Alien movie...

Could totally be wrong, but I thought when they arrive on 223 in Prometheus and discovered the engineers that they were attacked and killed by some iteration of the xenomorphs evolutionary cycle, so assumed that process was already in place. Think I need to rewatch it

In Prometheus, the Engineers on 223 were killed 2000 years ago by their biological weapon (the black goo in the vases) - it never implied a xenomorph was what killed them; we see the 'birth' of the xenomorph at the end of Prometheus after the white squid-like creature impregnated the revived Engineer. Biological Weapon DNA + Human DNA + Engineer DNA = Xenomorph.

David infected the guy with the black goo, who then transferred the infection over to Fifth Element girl, who then had a C-Section that birthed squiddo.

The black goo also infected the worms living in the soil on 223, giving birth to that penis viper that killed the two guys left behind.

What someone said previously is the black goo takes on the traits of whatever host it infects.

right, makes sense, but, what about this? this image implies that around 94 ad (2000 years before Prometheus take place, around the time the Engineers were going back to Earth to destroy it) there was already a Xenomorph and not only black goo... i just re-watched Prometheus so that's why i dug this up... maybe this is already clarified in Covenant but i'm only gonna re-watch it tomorrow..

03.jpg

edit: also, the black goo as been around/created since the birth of human civilization as we can see in the beggining of the movie... engineer drinks black goo, mixes his decaying DNA with water and creates humans... so basically, full circle, humans share xenomorphs's DNA?!?!?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON, 14 April 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#3665 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

#3666 phling

phling

fiercely fuck black electronic seance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts
  • 105 topics
  • Joined 01-February 10

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

I see your 3 YouTube.com embedded videos and not even clicking.

#3667 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

i just re-watched Alien (1979) for the 6th or 7th time and damn, nostalgia really clouds our senses... not even gonna bother elaborate deeply cause lovers gonna love but if you're gonna tell me that in your 30's you still find this horrifying as you did when you first watch it 20 years ago, then i quit, hands down... script wise it is so basic that there's not even room for plot holes and while this team is not as dumb as the ones in the new movies (although they left the planet without knowing anything about the message that took them there in the 1st place), things like the chestburster, xenomorph jazz hands and xenomorph skating in slow-mo really make some of the horror scenes ludicrous... some reviewers point out the fact that David admires the xenomorph because the xenomorph is the ultimate perfect organism and somehow that's completely ridiculous, which i agree, but hey, they forget that Ash says exactly the same thing in this movie and yet no one points fingers at him... grow up guys, survival horror my ass... :^)

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON, 15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#3668 Roo

Roo

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

I don't watch Alien to be terrified.

Trucking beyond the outer rim lured by mysterious distress beacons on shadowy planetoids is simply who I am. Alien isn't merely home (a tender lovin comfort blanket if you like), it is everything, a fertilising formative event. That atmospheric headspace is probably why I later became obsessed with things like Metroid and Autechre as a teenager.

The Nostromo thriller is the mere tip of an intimated plentiful iceberg, an enchanting sci-fi universe in which my mind and dreams were seeded and ran wild. I've always loved the sci-fi aspect of the film moreso than the horror.

The way people go on about loving Star Wars as a kid, that was me and Alien. I guess it might terrify people, but that is beside the point of why I love it. It also provides enchantment, solace, comfort and creative stimulation.

Edited by Roo, 15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#3669 Godwin Austen

Godwin Austen

喬戈里峰

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 29-May 07

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

Trucking beyond the outer rim lured by mysterious distress beacons on shadowy planetoids is simply who I am. 

brilliant. I want this on my tombstone :)

It's a relic of times when all planets were perfectly aligned to create this masterpiece (sorry for the pun). It wouldn't be what it is without H.R.Giger and Ron Cobb. Their respective visions made that film's entire essence that holds and towers every later attempt at the genre (and saga). I watch it today not to get scared, but to indulge myself in the atmosphere, the perfect snippet at the world I wished I knew more about (and leaves me immersed into it long after I watched it). The believable characters that tell their story just by looking at them and the way they are present on the set. They don't seem like actors to me. They are real human beings in the world. Think about Ripley, Ash, Lambert, Dallas, Brett, Kane, Parker and their personas. Now think about every canon fodder character in covenant, prometheus... no substance. I can't even remember their names and I watched both movies many times, because I'm stupid and I think I missed something that never was there to begin with. Alien is minimalist theater. It could as well be shot in three stage scenes and it would still work.

And I was shitting my pants when I was a kid watching it. Granted, I was unspoiled because I wasn't bombarded with every half-assed attempt at filmmaking every day, but it was the constructed world and actors that made it believable. And I can say that with confidence because it still takes me away, despite my cynical perfectionism. The last scene, before Ripley escapes into the pod, is still nerve-wrecking today, even though I can safely say that I'm a veteran of movie tricks and slaps now that I'm older. No other horror film captures the essence of the moment better than the self-destruct scene. Imagine being in her place. Sigourney is one of the rare best.

#3670 Godwin Austen

Godwin Austen

喬戈里峰

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 29-May 07

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:42 AM

dammit, Michael Jackson, just look at this and tell me it doesn't make you feel :)

#3671 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

nahhh, i guess i read this thread too much... too much hate for the new ones and too much praise for the original... i don't see anybody pointing out the weaknesses in the original and that simply puts me off... lots of convenient contradictions on the reviews...

to be honest in my 20's i remember thinking the creature was kind of a ridiculous show off, i mean, a mouth inside a mouth inside a mouth? metal teeth? horns on its back?

i find 2001 way more suffocating and distressing without even needing to resort to an actual monster...

#3672 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

gonna re-watch aliens and the premise doesn't look good at all:

The exomoon LV-426, where the Nostromo initially encountered the derelict ship containing alien eggs, is now home to the terraforming colony Hadleys Hope.

wtf would weiland-yutani company start a human colony on a planet that they already knew was inhabited by xenomorphs? in the first movie their override mission was to capture the goddamn alien and bring it home so why start a colony there?  :facepalm: i mean i know weiland was mad in the head and whatnot and his agendas were quite doubtful but damn, this kind of shit is plain retarded...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON, 16 April 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#3673 oscillik

oscillik

beyond the black rainbow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,288 posts
  • 115 topics
  • Joined 19-October 06

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

i just re-watched Alien (1979) for the 6th or 7th time and damn, nostalgia really clouds our senses... not even gonna bother elaborate deeply cause lovers gonna love but if you're gonna tell me that in your 30's you still find this horrifying as you did when you first watch it 20 years ago, then i quit, hands down... script wise it is so basic that there's not even room for plot holes and while this team is not as dumb as the ones in the new movies (although they left the planet without knowing anything about the message that took them there in the 1st place), things like the chestburster, xenomorph jazz hands and xenomorph skating in slow-mo really make some of the horror scenes ludicrous... some reviewers point out the fact that David admires the xenomorph because the xenomorph is the ultimate perfect organism and somehow that's completely ridiculous, which i agree, but hey, they forget that Ash says exactly the same thing in this movie and yet no one points fingers at him... grow up guys, survival horror my ass... :^)

I guess you think that horror fans actually get scared and horrified by the horror films? Wow.

#3674 THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got a light ???

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • 336 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

I guess you think that horror fans actually get scared and horrified by the horror films? Wow.

not scared, because it's not a scary movie, but horrified, totally, yeah! if not, what's the point of an horror movie... it doesn't even need to be because of something u see on the screen, damn, most of the times it's because of something that's not even there...

but dude, you're derailing, everybody says that scenes like the chestburster are disgusting and horrifying but i can't help but laugh at what i see on the screen, tell me a story like that and yes i might get sick and horrified but seeing it on the screen is just laughable... nowadays, the abortion scene on Prometheus is way more horrifying than all of the chestbuster scenes in previous alien movies... now, facehugers, hell yeah, those are nasty! world of warcraft

#3675 oscillik

oscillik

beyond the black rainbow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,288 posts
  • 115 topics
  • Joined 19-October 06

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

not scared, because it's not a scary movie, but horrified, totally, yeah! if not, what's the point of an horror movie... it doesn't even need to be because of something u see on the screen, damn, most of the times it's because of something that's not even there...

but dude, you're derailing, everybody says that scenes like the chestburster are disgusting and horrifying but i can't help but laugh at what i see on the screen, tell me a story like that and yes i might get sick and horrified but seeing it on the screen is just laughable... nowadays, the abortion scene on Prometheus is way more horrifying than all of the chestbuster scenes in previous alien movies... now, facehugers, hell yeah, those are nasty! world of warcraft

I'm not derailing. Do you think people actually listen to IDM because they think it's intelligent?

I think it'd be pretty interesting to get you in a room with some proper horror movie fans, and have a legit conversation with them about why they love that genre. I think you'd be surprised at the answers you get from them.

Also, you're watching a film after 40 years of cultural osmosis. Of course things that were (at the time of release) groundbreaking or at the very least refreshing, are now old hat. When other films and TV shows either copy or lampoon a scene in your film, you know it's struck a chord with people. Alien, Terminator, Robocop, Quentin Tarantino films, The Big Lebowski, The Matrix, Inception…countless others. All films that by today's standards have scenes that may not be as action-packed, terrifying, innovative, witty, etc. But they stuck with people. And of course they didn't stick with some people. It's all a matter of taste, and what you get out of a film.

For the record, I was never scared or horrified by any of these films. I was watching stuff like this by the time I was 4 or 5 years old. In actual fact, a film that was meant to be a kids film scared me more and gave me recurring nightmares for years afterwards (not gonna say which one though due to the obligatory trolling). I never watched Alien, or Nightmare on Elm Street because I was horrified or scared and was addicted to that feeling. Am I in the minority? I don't think so.