nahhh, i guess i read this thread too much... too much hate for the new ones and too much praise for the original... i don't see anybody pointing out the weaknesses in the original and that simply puts me off... lots of convenient contradictions on the reviews...

to be honest in my 20's i remember thinking the creature was kind of a ridiculous show off, i mean, a mouth inside a mouth inside a mouth? metal teeth? horns on its back?

i find 2001 way more suffocating and distressing without even needing to resort to an actual monster...

gonna re-watch aliens and the premise doesn't look good at all:

The exomoon LV-426, where the Nostromo initially encountered the derelict ship containing alien eggs, is now home to the terraforming colony Hadleys Hope.

wtf would weiland-yutani company start a human colony on a planet that they already knew was inhabited by xenomorphs? in the first movie their override mission was to capture the goddamn alien and bring it home so why start a colony there?  :facepalm: i mean i know weiland was mad in the head and whatnot and his agendas were quite doubtful but damn, this kind of shit is plain retarded...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

i just re-watched Alien (1979) for the 6th or 7th time and damn, nostalgia really clouds our senses... not even gonna bother elaborate deeply cause lovers gonna love but if you're gonna tell me that in your 30's you still find this horrifying as you did when you first watch it 20 years ago, then i quit, hands down... script wise it is so basic that there's not even room for plot holes and while this team is not as dumb as the ones in the new movies (although they left the planet without knowing anything about the message that took them there in the 1st place), things like the chestburster, xenomorph jazz hands and xenomorph skating in slow-mo really make some of the horror scenes ludicrous... some reviewers point out the fact that David admires the xenomorph because the xenomorph is the ultimate perfect organism and somehow that's completely ridiculous, which i agree, but hey, they forget that Ash says exactly the same thing in this movie and yet no one points fingers at him... grow up guys, survival horror my ass... :^)

I guess you think that horror fans actually get scared and horrified by the horror films? Wow.

I guess you think that horror fans actually get scared and horrified by the horror films? Wow.

not scared, because it's not a scary movie, but horrified, totally, yeah! if not, what's the point of an horror movie... it doesn't even need to be because of something u see on the screen, damn, most of the times it's because of something that's not even there...

but dude, you're derailing, everybody says that scenes like the chestburster are disgusting and horrifying but i can't help but laugh at what i see on the screen, tell me a story like that and yes i might get sick and horrified but seeing it on the screen is just laughable... nowadays, the abortion scene on Prometheus is way more horrifying than all of the chestbuster scenes in previous alien movies... now, facehugers, hell yeah, those are nasty! world of warcraft

not scared, because it's not a scary movie, but horrified, totally, yeah! if not, what's the point of an horror movie... it doesn't even need to be because of something u see on the screen, damn, most of the times it's because of something that's not even there...

but dude, you're derailing, everybody says that scenes like the chestburster are disgusting and horrifying but i can't help but laugh at what i see on the screen, tell me a story like that and yes i might get sick and horrified but seeing it on the screen is just laughable... nowadays, the abortion scene on Prometheus is way more horrifying than all of the chestbuster scenes in previous alien movies... now, facehugers, hell yeah, those are nasty! world of warcraft

I'm not derailing. Do you think people actually listen to IDM because they think it's intelligent?

I think it'd be pretty interesting to get you in a room with some proper horror movie fans, and have a legit conversation with them about why they love that genre. I think you'd be surprised at the answers you get from them.

Also, you're watching a film after 40 years of cultural osmosis. Of course things that were (at the time of release) groundbreaking or at the very least refreshing, are now old hat. When other films and TV shows either copy or lampoon a scene in your film, you know it's struck a chord with people. Alien, Terminator, Robocop, Quentin Tarantino films, The Big Lebowski, The Matrix, Inception…countless others. All films that by today's standards have scenes that may not be as action-packed, terrifying, innovative, witty, etc. But they stuck with people. And of course they didn't stick with some people. It's all a matter of taste, and what you get out of a film.

For the record, I was never scared or horrified by any of these films. I was watching stuff like this by the time I was 4 or 5 years old. In actual fact, a film that was meant to be a kids film scared me more and gave me recurring nightmares for years afterwards (not gonna say which one though due to the obligatory trolling). I never watched Alien, or Nightmare on Elm Street because I was horrified or scared and was addicted to that feeling. Am I in the minority? I don't think so.

In actual fact, a film that was meant to be a kids film scared me more and gave me recurring nightmares for years afterwards (not gonna say which one though due to the obligatory trolling). 

Oh man...new thread topic please.

I don't watch Alien to be terrified.

Trucking beyond the outer rim lured by mysterious distress beacons on shadowy planetoids is simply who I am. Alien isn't merely home (a tender lovin comfort blanket if you like), it is everything, a fertilising formative event. That atmospheric headspace is probably why I later became obsessed with things like Metroid and Autechre as a teenager.

The Nostromo thriller is the mere tip of an intimated plentiful iceberg, an enchanting sci-fi universe in which my mind and dreams were seeded and ran wild. I've always loved the sci-fi aspect of the film moreso than the horror.

The way people go on about loving Star Wars as a kid, that was me and Alien. I guess it might terrify people, but that is beside the point of why I love it. It also provides enchantment, solace, comfort and creative stimulation.

Outstanding post.

I think it'd be pretty interesting to get you in a room with some proper horror movie fans, and have a legit conversation with them about why they love that genre. I think you'd be surprised at the answers you get from them.

no need, i have the internet, i know what you're saying, i often read reviews and yes i do get surprised...

Also, you're watching a film after 40 years of cultural osmosis. Of course things that were (at the time of release) groundbreaking or at the very least refreshing, are now old hat. When other films and TV shows either copy or lampoon a scene in your film, you know it's struck a chord with people. Alien, Terminator, Robocop, Quentin Tarantino films, The Big Lebowski, The Matrix, Inception…countless others. All films that by today's standards have scenes that may not be as action-packed, terrifying, innovative, witty, etc. But they stuck with people. And of course they didn't stick with some people. It's all a matter of taste, and what you get out of a film.

don't know if i'm misunderstanding you here but you're telling that, those movies you gave as an example, have got stuck with people? if so, well, there's a great example of nostalgia gone bad... inception? damn that's an awful movie and i bet it only stuck with people who watched it first time in their 15's to 25's... Also, the matrix? every time i re-watch it i think i'm gonna feel the same excitement i felt the first time i watched it when i was 18 only to get extremely disappointed at how bad it is...

now, movies like the tarantino ones and the big lebowski do get stuck and age pretty well, but i guess that depends a lot on the genre of the movie in question...

btw i don't wanna be misunderstood, i still love Alien, set, costume and sound design, straightforwardness of the concept monster in a dark room, fear of the unknown, parasites, dread of outer space i could go on and on about the things i like, it's just that after reading this thread, there's nothing good left to say about it...

last night i watched Aliens, starts pretty good and ends even better, it's a shame what happens in between... maybe i should have watched the theatrical cut...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

no need, i have the internet, i know what you're saying, i often read reviews and yes i do get surprised...

don't know if i'm misunderstanding you here but you're telling that, those movies you gave as an example, have got stuck with people? if so, well, there's a great example of nostalgia gone bad... inception? damn that's an awful movie and i bet it only stuck with people who watched it first time in their 15's to 25's... Also, the matrix? every time i re-watch it i think i'm gonna feel the same excitement i felt the first time i watched it when i was 18 only to get extremely disappointed at how bad it is...

now, movies like the tarantino ones and the big lebowski do get stuck and age pretty well, but i guess that depends a lot on the genre of the movie in question...

btw i don't wanna be misunderstood, i still love Alien, set, costume and sound design, straightforwardness of the concept monster in a dark room, fear of the unknown, parasites, dread of outer space i could go on and on about the things i like, it's just that after reading this thread, there's nothing good left to say about it...

last night i watched Aliens, starts pretty good and ends even better, it's a shame what happens in between... maybe i should have watched the theatrical cut...

No man. The internet, especially in this day and age, is not the place to have considered and meaningful conversation. But you're clearly gonna continue to dismiss my suggestion, so I see no point in reiterating it.

With regard to you saying that those films I listed are a perfect example of nostalgia gone bad…I agree and disagree with you. Yes, things in those films have aged. But then so does everything. I rewatched Fight Club a few nights ago and the part during the midpoint where the movie emulates a spool of film coming loose from the sprockets on the projector…there's a whole generation of viewers that likely won't have any idea what the fuck that is. Does that mean that it was a bad idea to incorporate that visual idea into the film? Not in my opinion it wasn't. There's the joke that Home Alone wouldn't work as a film if it were remade for today's audience because of mobile phones and the internet. Does this mean that the original film is an utter fucking shambles? Again, in my opinion, no.

On the flip side though, as a counterpoint to the bit I just mentioned about Fight Club, I think that modern films that incorporate a piece of modern technology such as drones — the recent Blair Witch film comes to mind — if done in a lazy way, or a way that relies too much on it, it is bad. Am I being a hypocrite? Probably. Or maybe there are more issues with Blair Witch than just it's reliance on drones as a plot device.

On Alien and Aliens — Alien, as has been said by many, is a slasher film in space at it's core, and Aliens is kinda like sci-fi Vietnam War movie. I think as with many films, when you get the special sauce...the combo of a competent and talented team of movie makers (director, director of photography, costume and set designers, artists, musicians, foley artists, etc) they can make even the simplest of premises shine. I have yet to watch Dark Star, but from what I've read and heard, Alien is kinda like a remake of that but done better. This talk with you might push me to find a copy of it somewhere so I can compare! I do agree with you about Aliens though…the Special Edition has those Acheron scenes that, whilst they help flesh out the detail a bit, are really unecessary to the film. It's been a while since I watched the theatrical cut because of course, I coveted the special edition for so long. But in retrospect I'm inclined to say that the theatrical cut is a better watch.

It's interesting to look at the first 4 movies. I know it's been said by someone before (not sure who) but I agree with them — that Fox were kinda treating the Alien franchise as a blank canvas to let a creative team remake the same movie in their own way. It's one of the reasons why I have always liked Alien 3, even when I first saw it back in the early 90s (I would've been like, 11 or something) I fucking adored the absolute bleakness in the tone of the film.

I think it definitely is time to let it go though. Which is a shame, because concerning the new films, the David character is great. Not sure if he'd be as compelling out of context from Weyland and the storyline. 

Anyways, this has been cool.

shame how they fucked up Alien (after 3, even though I'm sure I read even FIncher said the studio fucked that too)

the source material is beyond unreal so I struggle to understand with millions of dollars and hundreds of talented people they could fuck it up so much

quite an amazing achievement really

Edited by beerwolf

No man. The internet, especially in this day and age, is not the place to have considered and meaningful conversation. But you're clearly gonna continue to dismiss my suggestion, so I see no point in reiterating it.

With regard to you saying that those films I listed are a perfect example of nostalgia gone bad…I agree and disagree with you. Yes, things in those films have aged. But then so does everything. I rewatched Fight Club a few nights ago and the part during the midpoint where the movie emulates a spool of film coming loose from the sprockets on the projector…there's a whole generation of viewers that likely won't have any idea what the fuck that is. Does that mean that it was a bad idea to incorporate that visual idea into the film? Not in my opinion it wasn't. There's the joke that Home Alone wouldn't work as a film if it were remade for today's audience because of mobile phones and the internet. Does this mean that the original film is an utter fucking shambles? Again, in my opinion, no.

On the flip side though, as a counterpoint to the bit I just mentioned about Fight Club, I think that modern films that incorporate a piece of modern technology such as drones — the recent Blair Witch film comes to mind — if done in a lazy way, or a way that relies too much on it, it is bad. Am I being a hypocrite? Probably. Or maybe there are more issues with Blair Witch than just it's reliance on drones as a plot device.

On Alien and Aliens — Alien, as has been said by many, is a slasher film in space at it's core, and Aliens is kinda like sci-fi Vietnam War movie. I think as with many films, when you get the special sauce...the combo of a competent and talented team of movie makers (director, director of photography, costume and set designers, artists, musicians, foley artists, etc) they can make even the simplest of premises shine. I have yet to watch Dark Star, but from what I've read and heard, Alien is kinda like a remake of that but done better. This talk with you might push me to find a copy of it somewhere so I can compare! I do agree with you about Aliens though…the Special Edition has those Acheron scenes that, whilst they help flesh out the detail a bit, are really unecessary to the film. It's been a while since I watched the theatrical cut because of course, I coveted the special edition for so long. But in retrospect I'm inclined to say that the theatrical cut is a better watch.

It's interesting to look at the first 4 movies. I know it's been said by someone before (not sure who) but I agree with them — that Fox were kinda treating the Alien franchise as a blank canvas to let a creative team remake the same movie in their own way. It's one of the reasons why I have always liked Alien 3, even when I first saw it back in the early 90s (I would've been like, 11 or something) I fucking adored the absolute bleakness in the tone of the film.

I think it definitely is time to let it go though. Which is a shame, because concerning the new films, the David character is great. Not sure if he'd be as compelling out of context from Weyland and the storyline. 

Anyways, this has been cool.

i replied to this and i think you read it in the meantime but then it got deleted with the forum update and i can't be arsed to write it all again... :beer:

horror movies make me feel cozy. I don't understand the link, but there it is

Same, they're my comfort blanket. Mainly I think because I watched so many when I was a kid/teen that they're now a nostalgic thing.

Much to my gf's detriment though. I was ill recently and all I wanted to do was slob on the sofa binging horror movies, she hates them :^)

• 1 month later...

Watched Alien last night for the first time in years. Still a really cool movie in spite of some 70s futurism tropes.

I love the scene where Harry Dean Stanton gets killed off.