Guest fondles the cat

alien wasn't down to anyone person, it was the productive of this amazing synergy. i mean, have you ever actually sat down and read dan o bannon's original script?

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Wait, what the fuck.

Giger is still alive?

Also, not only did they have Moebius, but the entire pre-production work that Dan O'Bannon, Giger, Moebius, and some sci-fi artist whose name escapes me (he specialized in ships) did on Jodorowsky's Dune. A lot of that got copied for Star Wars as well.

Edited by Great Maker ShaiHulud

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Jodorowsky was going to make Dune, but funding fell through. According to AJ, it was because the investors thought the movie was too French. It was going to star Orson Welles as baron Harkonnen, Salvador Dali as the emperor, and Mick Jagger as Paul (although I can't find where I read about Mick Jagger -- I know I heard this somewherE).

Then, ironically (maybe not really) Ridley Scott was going to do it, but had to delay due to a death in the family and ended up doing Blade Runner.

The thing is, they got heavily into preproduction. A lot of the artwork was "borrowed" for other films, including Star Trek and Alien (and, yes, Lynch's Dune).

BTW the Dune thing was what lead to all of the Jodorowsky graphic novels he did with Moebius.

Edited by Great Maker ShaiHulud

didn't read thread, sorry.

however...

a friend and i had an awesome idea for an Alien prequel movie, but more likely, (because of Newt's actress being older now) an Alien prequel video game.

so, the story would unfold from Newt's perspective, right where her parents and brother were killed by the Aliens when they found that spaceship. and, since she was the sole survivor of her entire colony, it would be the story of Newt avoiding the Aliens until the end of the game where Ripley finds her underneath the floorboards in her safehold in the colony. the gameplay would be entirely defense based. Newt would brave the architecture of the alien-riddled colony for food and water without the use of weapons or technology in any sense, while her friends and neighbors would be picked off one by one. it would be an entirely strategy-driven game/movie, etc.

i'm such a dork.

Jodorowsky was going to make Dune, but funding fell through. According to AJ, it was because the investors thought the movie was too French. It was going to star Orson Welles as baron Harkonnen, Salvador Dali as the emperor, and Mick Jagger as Paul (although I can't find where I read about Mick Jagger -- I know I heard this somewherE).

Then, ironically (maybe not really) Ridley Scott was going to do it, but had to delay due to a death in the family and ended up doing Blade Runner.

The thing is, they got heavily into preproduction. A lot of the artwork was "borrowed" for other films, including Star Trek and Alien (and, yes, Lynch's Dune).

BTW the Dune thing was what lead to all of the Jodorowsky graphic novels he did with Moebius.

Oh sweet jesus. This sounds great, I'm going to go out hunting for more info now.

Oh sweet jesus. This sounds great, I'm going to go out hunting for more info now.

yep, and it's a good thing, because the Jodorowsky version of Dune was gonna be like 10 hours long or some shit. i don't know about anyone else, but i can barely watch El Topo or Holy Mountain as it is.

I find those movie work best when there's a decent ammount of beer, snacks and like minded people about.

edit: I wonder how long untill they try to do Dune again, probably directed by Peter Jackson or some shit like that.

edit 2: googles IMDB, 2014 release date, no cast, director etc.

Edited by Gocab

alien wasn't down to anyone person, it was the productive of this amazing synergy. i mean, have you ever actually sat down and read dan o bannon's original script?

not the entire thing, but a good portion of it. I think probably Scott's greatest contribution was his casting decisions (weaver) and his storyboarding of the movie, without his convincing the studio heads with his storyboards of O bannon's script the movie might not have been made. I'm just not convinced that his directing itself made the actors as good as they were, etc.

It's just strange to me that Alien is considered a ridley scott movie, but the script and story was created by o bannon. Empire strikes back is considered a george lucas movie even though he did not direct it.

just one of those things i guess

anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmBJN-0bchQ&feature=related

Edited by Awepittance

Guest fondles the cat

are you sure you read o'bannon's draft and not the giler/hill rewrite? it's the latter that ridley filmed. without it, we wouldn't have MOTHER or Ash or the 'truckers in space' characterisation. o'bannon's script had a different aesthetic (and that's being charitable to it). similarly you can't make a list of people who defined alien and not talk about ron cobb.

are you sure you read o'bannon's draft and not the giler/hill rewrite? it's the latter that ridley filmed. without it, we wouldn't have MOTHER or Ash or the 'truckers in space' characterisation. o'bannon's script had a different aesthetic (and that's being charitable to it). similarly you can't make a list of people who defined alien and not talk about ron cobb.

wasn't O'Bannon's script just a quick rewrite of Dark Star?

Edited by oscillik

however...

a friend and i had an awesome idea for an Alien prequel movie, but more likely, (because of Newt's actress being older now) an Alien prequel video game.

so, the story would unfold from Newt's perspective, right where her parents and brother were killed by the Aliens when they found that spaceship. and, since she was the sole survivor of her entire colony, it would be the story of Newt avoiding the Aliens until the end of the game where Ripley finds her underneath the floorboards in her safehold in the colony. the gameplay would be entirely defense based. Newt would brave the architecture of the alien-riddled colony for food and water without the use of weapons or technology in any sense, while her friends and neighbors would be picked off one by one. it would be an entirely strategy-driven game/movie, etc.

i'm such a dork.

Would play!

Fun fact: Carrie Henn, the girl who played Newt, never acted again after Aliens.

• 10 months later...

Charlize Theron says that the audience should try to forget that it's an Alien movie, but that recognisable creatures will appear in the last quarter.

It makes sense. It's called 'Prometheus' and not 'Alien: Prometheus' for a reason. But it still remains that the general audience sees no real reason for this story to be made. Despite a decent cast and some interesting visuals the resounding feeling I get is 'meh'. It's going to fail.

however...

i'm such a dork.

Already been done

1763963-111111111_super.jpg

i'm definitely looking forward to this movie, i think it should be at least decent. i've never seen a Ridley Scott film that was 'bad,' though i can't say i'm a fan of much of his stuff generally. but from what i've seen from him, and what we know about the script/actors at this point, i don't think it's gonna fail entirely. it'll be interesting, at the very least. i'm bordering on excited at this point, we'll see how well that holds as more pics and details leak out closer to it's release.

as for the original Alien films; 3 does get unjust derision, in my opinion. i LOVE that movie, despite the flaws made by a first time director and a meddling production studio. the 4th movie is hideous (i'd rather watch the AVPs than it, honestly) and the 2nd film is far too cheesy for me to care for it in the ways i do the 1st and 3rd.

high hopes for Prometheus, though.

also, there's this for all of you who are interested. nothing TOO revealing in it, but it's nice to see Scoot seem very committed.

Edited by auxien

White Squall and Robin Hood are pretty terrible, but I still have high hopes for this one. I really hope it's decent because, lets face it, Ridley Scott + sci fi = erection.

Edited by Gocab