Prometheus also got a lot of positive reviews, just saying.

Like Prometheus, I'll be skipping this one until it's on TV, due to this paragraph from a review I read. Yes, this is all it takes...

There’s a lot of poor decision-making going on in Alien: Covenant; once again, scientists use exactly zero of their assumed scientific know-how while exploring uncharted alien worlds. They walk around in no protective gear, sniffing, stomping, plucking at flora, pissing in the wind and generally sticking their fingers and faces into all manner of untested exotic material. Then, of course, someone gets sick and everyone panics and acts like assholes.

A film based on how scientists would actually behave would be really really boring, it would also be really really long. Bela Tarr could direct it.

A film based on how scientists would actually behave would be really really boring, it would also be really really long. Bela Tarr could direct it.

I'm a boring person.

Not asking for the movie to depict a 100% genuine scientist person, but at least make them somewhat like scientists. Why even make them scientists if it's not going to have a role in their characterization at all.

yeh, original Alien and Cameron's Aliens actually had that.. both spent significant time in labs, featuring interesting sciency dialog which actually mattered with regards to things happening.

When they tried to figure out how to deal with the facehugger in Alien? Ash doing the science, being weird? Good stuff.

Later, Bishop being similarly obsessed with the 'hugger, reflecting back in Ash..?

kinda important for athmosphere/immersion tbqhbbq.

it's pretty lol actually that Scott throws all that out the window. But aye, looking forward to gay robot love

yeh, original Alien and Cameron's Aliens actually had that.. both spent significant time in labs, featuring interesting sciency dialog which actually mattered with regards to things happening.

When they tried to figure out how to deal with the facehugger in Alien? Ash doing the science, being weird? Good stuff.

Later, Bishop being similarly obsessed with the 'hugger, reflecting back in Ash..?

it's pretty lol actually that Scott throws all that out the window. But aye, looking forward to gay robot love

the originals didn't have much of that at all, especially not Aliens, there's lots of rose-tinted views of these movies that doesn't hold up to scrutiny (not saying they're not as good as people think, just that they're not judging modern movies by the same standards). it's easy to do, largely subconscious and related to nostalgia I guess.

you know what's fun? tbh I cannot remember a single instance of reading _any_ post by you where I could even remotely agree. In fact, your posts are weirdly triggering me as being completely misguided. Dunno why. Please don't take it personally.. probably just internet.

you know what's fun? tbh I cannot remember a single instance of reading _any_ post by you where I could even remotely agree. In fact, your posts are weirdly triggering me as being completely misguided. Dunno why. Please don't take it personally.. probably just internet.

I can only really recall your posts about tv shows and movies, but yeah I'm quite similar to you, I think they've all been objectively terrible opinions.

Like Prometheus, I'll be skipping this one until it's on TV, due to this paragraph from a review I read. Yes, this is all it takes...

There’s a lot of poor decision-making going on in Alien: Covenant; once again, scientists use exactly zero of their assumed scientific know-how while exploring uncharted alien worlds. They walk around in no protective gear, sniffing, stomping, plucking at flora, pissing in the wind and generally sticking their fingers and faces into all manner of untested exotic material. Then, of course, someone gets sick and everyone panics and acts like assholes.

sounds good enough for me, can't wait to see it!

the originals didn't have much of that at all, especially not Aliens, there's lots of rose-tinted views of these movies that doesn't hold up to scrutiny (not saying they're not as good as people think, just that they're not judging modern movies by the same standards). it's easy to do, largely subconscious and related to nostalgia I guess.

aliens is actually not a very good movie i agree

Edited by dr lopez

caze just gets upset when he remembers every now and then that someone somewhere in the world might not think he's right about everything.

At least there's going to be some memes.

I dunno, one of the real strengths of Alien was that it had well-sketched characters reacting in a believable way when faced with a horrific situation. Something Prometheus managed to totally fuck up in almost every way.

(Aliens maybe not so much but it was a very different type of movie.)

My favourite was the whiny boyfriend who discovers an alien civilisation then throws a hissy fit because...well fuck knows...there wasn't an alien waiting there to give him a PowerPoint presentation on the meaning of life I guess? If the new one has that sort of shit then I'm out.

Edited by danshoebridge

Yeah, Prometheus was far from perfect, but I've always been of the opinion the negative reaction to it was totally over the top, and a lot of the criticism it got could equally be given to many other movies that get a free pass for unknown reasons. Prometheus wasn't trying to be a film like Alien though, so it's silly to compare them in that way. It was more about grander themes and ideas. I don't like it because of it's subtle characterisations and polished screenplay, if that's all you're looking for in a movie you're going to be disappointed. There's still plenty there to like IMO.

This one looks like a bit of an attempt to fall somewhere between the two, largely due to the backlash from the last one by the looks of things, hopefully that doesn't result in a film that fails at both. I've avoided all the reviews and most of the footage and trailers though, so I'm going in with an open mind.

My favourite was the whiny boyfriend who discovers an alien civilisation then throws a hissy fit because...well fuck knows...there wasn't an alien waiting there to give him a PowerPoint presentation on the meaning of life I guess? If the new one has that sort of shit then I'm out.

truth.

aliens is actually not a very good movie i agree

There are, at best, like three good movies.