The floating head in the water bit was probably the best bit. But yeah, not great.

I also didn't like how the soundtrack was way too influenced by the first film. Music in films is a big deal, and can become inexorably linked with it. Don't like when other films use soundtrack stuff. Especially something so iconic as the Alien soundtrack.

I actually really liked the soundtrack. I just rewatched it and those pitched down glassy and hollow sounding strings or whatever they are sound fucking cool

They start playing at 0:30.

Anyway, I actually don't think it's THAT bad a movie. A lot of the stuff that annoys me are actually just things from Prometheus that I am being reminded of. If Prometheus hadn't existed I'm pretty sure this movie would be looked at through different glasses.

See that stuff was fine, quite liked that stuff - the more sound-designy stuff. I just didn't like the constant motifs coming from Alien.

I agree though - Prometheus shouldn't have existed

yeah it was fine. people need to calm down.

How have you found new Twin Peaks?

haven't seen it yet. is it good? i hear it's very different from the first two seasons.

In the early 80's and late 70's they had a of thinking heads working on these movies, it's not a coincidence that the later movies were all a failure because they had too much input from solely the director who has an insufferable ego.

Every Alien film so far, not counting the AvP ones, have had auteur directors who are known for a particular style, so their influence kind of comes with the territory, if they ever went with a more unknown director for hire, maybe Fox would exert more pressure to do them in a certain way. But really imo, seeing each person's take, including Ridley's, is about the only thing that keeps them interesting after almost 40 years.

In the early 80's and late 70's they had a of thinking heads working on these movies, it's not a coincidence that the later movies were all a failure because they had too much input from solely the director who has an insufferable ego.

Every Alien film so far, not counting the AvP ones, have had auteur directors who are known for a particular style, so their influence kind of comes with the territory, if they ever went with a more unknown director for hire, maybe Fox would exert more pressure to do them in a certain way. But really imo, seeing each person's take, including Ridley's, is about the only thing that keeps them interesting after almost 40 years.

I'm probably the only person here that liked Alien: Resurrection, still do. Bloomkant would have been atrocious, his short movies that he has been posting really show his weakness.

This doc is really interesting for more than one reason but seeing how Alien creative minds were put together is something that wouldn't happen today.

What Moebius said about Ridley Scott was right on the money.

https://youtu.be/jNas99oEXBU?t=25m46s

I like resurrection as well, more as a weird 80s throwback sci fi body horror comedy than an alien film though.

Edited by Gocab

without prometheus you wouldn't have any of the engineer / creation stuff, you need it.

that said you could have switched the xenomorph out with any creature and done the prometheus/alien covenant story without alien stuff.

this is probably going to sound silly but the main thing for me with both these movies is that they give me like a deep connection

to the universe and fills that niche of "higher being create humans" kind of thing, which i havent seen in any other movies.

theres this hierarchy of creators basically and creates a new dimension to it, it's a great "vision" at least as far as im concerned, and i could write for hours unsuccesfully about the ideas i get from it

also did anyone else get a weird feeling when you saw the xenomorph scenes at the end? it looked absolutely amazing, and brought back some old alien feelings. it would have been lush to have just a simpler alien sequel with only that kind of look for sure.

they only showed it a little and i got a taste for more xenomorph. 

also i recommend listening to the directors commentary of both movies, and also see the deleted scenes. there are several additions to the mythology++

Edited by coax

The scenes (barring the xenocam) did look good, but I couldn't give two shits about what happened to the protagonists. The characters were incredibly flat and had no value beyond serving as foddder in some gore scenes, even David who was the only interesting character in Prometheus, was a paper thin cliché in this one.

I'm such a hater. Sorry.

There was an entire scene from the novelization that was cut at the end where David sends a long range transmission to Weyland Yutani, saying he is about to perfect his ultimate creation, the queen. So count on some colonists getting hella infected with Xenos if they make another sequel.

truly, seeing the Alien in broad daylight stripped completely bare of its mystique and lurking horror was probably the most egregious mistake of all. Covenant is an amateur Alien fanfic.

yeah it was fine. people need to calm down.

If there's one thing the internets are known for, it's reserved calmness and logical reactions.

awww, so sweet to see you guys in agreement.

There was an entire scene from the novelization that was cut at the end where David sends a long range transmission to Weyland Yutani, saying he is about to perfect his ultimate creation, the queen. So count on some colonists getting hella infected with Xenos if they make another sequel.

That's included in the bonus material on the BR and digital releases. Rather cool and should have been included in the movie as an epilogue. Is a bit long for a mid-credits scene, though. At least it establishes why Weyland-Yutani was on the look-out for the xenomorph in Alien.

Thought the movie was alright. I like the slightly gothic vibe of a lonely insane android doing experiments on a monster pathogen in a necropolis that a bunch of innocent colonists stumble upon by chance, who then promptly fall victim to the insane android . Set design and production values were top-notch as is to be expected from a Scott movie. If it would be a stand-alone sci-fi movie with the same premise, it would probably be more well-received, but since it's making a mess of the Alien franchise it loses points. 

As said, reading it as sci-fi romp rather than a part of the Alien franchise improves it. The same way that Aronofsky's Noah works better if it's read as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi featuring Adam, Eve and the golems as post-humans and so on.

Edited by azatoth