Isolation needs to be on that list, and in 3rd or possibly even 2nd position.

Isolation is better than 2... and 3, and 4..... and Prometheus and Covenant.

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

2 is really bad. The effects are still amazing, but overall the movie really hasn't aged well. 

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

2 is really bad. The effects are still amazing, but overall the movie really hasn't aged well. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12056258

:wink:

Fight me!

Not better then 2 imo

Aliens is amazing.

Mostly.

couldn't watch it. horrible tone all over the place in classic jimmy cameron style. then the fucking kid shows up. just the wrong choice after alien which is a flawless thriller with scifi paint. big goofy action movie is perfect in terminator 1 and 2 but in aliens is just seems hammy. paul reiser lmao. not a "bad" film but probably the most overrated film of that ilk.

Edited by dr lopez

Aliens was absolutely amazing when I was about 12

exactly, proper amazing at the time. Watched it so much I could recite the script word for word. Directors cut and all.

Fuck, hope I'm ill off work soon. I'm gonna binge the blu ray quadrilogy

Yeah I did that every couple years binge session last December, audio commentarys and BTS docus and all. Good times.

Aliens was also my word-for-word fave when I was about 10-14. Must have watched my various version rentals, taped VHS, Legacy and Quadrilogy DVDs around 40 times. Got to see a Terminator-Aliens double header at the cinema in 2013, which was like a trip back to that childhood and the 2 films which meant the most to me then.

I became more fascinated with Alien (even Alien 3) as a teen & young adult, but everytime I return to Aliens nowadays I still admire the effective filmmaking.

Edited by Roo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who & why designed the chest-burster?

It's just gonna be David because he developed some stupid god complex and views androids as the next bastard step in evolution. His stupid lab is pictured below.

And if this ain't right, it's gonna be something equally as stupid.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-28-at-7.47.55-PM.jpg

OMG - you are probably right. If it turns out a human-created android created the Aliens we know as Aliens (Xenomorphs)... Ridley needs to just retire at this point, IMO.

Wouldn't that involve time travel? Also it would make it patently absurd that Weyland is funding missions to find something he already indirectly created.

How's time travel involved? Prometheus/Covenant takes place before the first Alien movie...

Could totally be wrong, but I thought when they arrive on 223 in Prometheus and discovered the engineers that they were attacked and killed by some iteration of the xenomorphs evolutionary cycle, so assumed that process was already in place. Think I need to rewatch it

In Prometheus, the Engineers on 223 were killed 2000 years ago by their biological weapon (the black goo in the vases) - it never implied a xenomorph was what killed them; we see the 'birth' of the xenomorph at the end of Prometheus after the white squid-like creature impregnated the revived Engineer. Biological Weapon DNA + Human DNA + Engineer DNA = Xenomorph.

David infected the guy with the black goo, who then transferred the infection over to Fifth Element girl, who then had a C-Section that birthed squiddo.

The black goo also infected the worms living in the soil on 223, giving birth to that penis viper that killed the two guys left behind.

What someone said previously is the black goo takes on the traits of whatever host it infects.

right, makes sense, but, what about this? this image implies that around 94 ad (2000 years before Prometheus take place, around the time the Engineers were going back to Earth to destroy it) there was already a Xenomorph and not only black goo... i just re-watched Prometheus so that's why i dug this up... maybe this is already clarified in Covenant but i'm only gonna re-watch it tomorrow..

03.jpg

edit: also, the black goo as been around/created since the birth of human civilization as we can see in the beggining of the movie... engineer drinks black goo, mixes his decaying DNA with water and creates humans... so basically, full circle, humans share xenomorphs's DNA?!?!?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

i just re-watched Alien (1979) for the 6th or 7th time and damn, nostalgia really clouds our senses... not even gonna bother elaborate deeply cause lovers gonna love but if you're gonna tell me that in your 30's you still find this horrifying as you did when you first watch it 20 years ago, then i quit, hands down... script wise it is so basic that there's not even room for plot holes and while this team is not as dumb as the ones in the new movies (although they left the planet without knowing anything about the message that took them there in the 1st place), things like the chestburster, xenomorph jazz hands and xenomorph skating in slow-mo really make some of the horror scenes ludicrous... some reviewers point out the fact that David admires the xenomorph because the xenomorph is the ultimate perfect organism and somehow that's completely ridiculous, which i agree, but hey, they forget that Ash says exactly the same thing in this movie and yet no one points fingers at him... grow up guys, survival horror my ass... :^)

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I don't watch Alien to be terrified.

Trucking beyond the outer rim lured by mysterious distress beacons on shadowy planetoids is simply who I am. Alien isn't merely home (a tender lovin comfort blanket if you like), it is everything, a fertilising formative event. That atmospheric headspace is probably why I later became obsessed with things like Metroid and Autechre as a teenager.

The Nostromo thriller is the mere tip of an intimated plentiful iceberg, an enchanting sci-fi universe in which my mind and dreams were seeded and ran wild. I've always loved the sci-fi aspect of the film moreso than the horror.

The way people go on about loving Star Wars as a kid, that was me and Alien. I guess it might terrify people, but that is beside the point of why I love it. It also provides enchantment, solace, comfort and creative stimulation.

Edited by Roo

Trucking beyond the outer rim lured by mysterious distress beacons on shadowy planetoids is simply who I am. 

brilliant. I want this on my tombstone :)

It's a relic of times when all planets were perfectly aligned to create this masterpiece (sorry for the pun). It wouldn't be what it is without H.R.Giger and Ron Cobb. Their respective visions made that film's entire essence that holds and towers every later attempt at the genre (and saga). I watch it today not to get scared, but to indulge myself in the atmosphere, the perfect snippet at the world I wished I knew more about (and leaves me immersed into it long after I watched it). The believable characters that tell their story just by looking at them and the way they are present on the set. They don't seem like actors to me. They are real human beings in the world. Think about Ripley, Ash, Lambert, Dallas, Brett, Kane, Parker and their personas. Now think about every canon fodder character in covenant, prometheus... no substance. I can't even remember their names and I watched both movies many times, because I'm stupid and I think I missed something that never was there to begin with. Alien is minimalist theater. It could as well be shot in three stage scenes and it would still work.

And I was shitting my pants when I was a kid watching it. Granted, I was unspoiled because I wasn't bombarded with every half-assed attempt at filmmaking every day, but it was the constructed world and actors that made it believable. And I can say that with confidence because it still takes me away, despite my cynical perfectionism. The last scene, before Ripley escapes into the pod, is still nerve-wrecking today, even though I can safely say that I'm a veteran of movie tricks and slaps now that I'm older. No other horror film captures the essence of the moment better than the self-destruct scene. Imagine being in her place. Sigourney is one of the rare best.