So eh..it is a joke about the head being penis like? Isn't that the entire point of the design? They come at night? I don't get it.

Also: fuck off, Ridley!

Edited by Gocab

Worse yet, Michael Fassbender has said he'd love to come back as David and play the character again. Don't get me wrong - LOVED Prometheus, the sequel not so much.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I liked Prometheus on release (saw it a few times in 3D & on DVD), but sadly I don't much rate it anymore. 6.5/10 (below Resurrection).

You have aged...poorly.

One of Ridley's least auteurist works and worst scripted. Reminds me more of a generic 90s/00s blockbuster (even 50s sci-fi) than a genuine Alien film (more like an above-average Trek). Despite intermittently bringing some flair (enough to fill up a few decent shorts), on a general level it fares little better than a high-functioning AVP1. At times it is hard to believe Ridley was even on set that day, his usual touch is all over the place.

After enjoying this a lot through a series of 2012 fan viewings, this proved a sobering revisit. By mid-century this will be an obscurity. The more lasting Covenant was a colossal improvement, demonstrating that awkward lessons were clearly dealt with.

i have no idea whether prometheus was "good" or not. I will say that there are some scenes that have stuck with me for many years. that can be a sign of an interesting, although imperfect film. I thought the casting was odd but good, the effects excellent and in general the scope of the film to be unusual and enticing.

I remember nothing positive about covenant other than david running to catch the ship (which was funny) and kenny powers saying you're fuckin out when he killed the alien. actually i think i just imagined that last part but i wished they had replaced all of katherine watserston with it.

Covenant is one of Ridley's better films, Prometheus one of his worst. They are worlds apart in quality. Preferring Prometheus is preposterous to me.

Edited by Roo
  • Facepalm 1

Covenant is one of Ridley's better films, Prometheus one of his worst. They are worlds apart in quality. Preferring Prometheus is preposterous to me.
i guess it probably depends what elements you're considering. covenant may well be better from a technical viewpoint - lighting, direction etc. but as a story and general watching experience i just found it boring. i found prometheus intriguing and wish they'd stuck with the story much more for the second movie.
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:32 AM, dr lopez said:

i have no idea whether prometheus was "good" or not. I will say that there are some scenes that have stuck with me for many years. that can be a sign of an interesting, although imperfect film. I thought the casting was odd but good, the effects excellent and in general the scope of the film to be unusual and enticing.

I remember nothing positive about covenant other than david running to catch the ship (which was funny) and kenny powers saying you're fuckin out when he killed the alien. actually i think i just imagined that last part but i wished they had replaced all of katherine watserston with it.

How do you not remember the absolute best part of this movie?

• 3 months later...

Still feels too soon for yet another Alien BTS/analysis documentary. We've already had a few thoroughly satisfying ones, and this will probably include a lot of rehash. I'm sure there are some other classics out there crying out for a decent BTS/analysis treatment.

wow 149 pages of prometheus? visually pleasing movies but lol what the fuck kind of scientist touches an alien egg like a stray dog. 

Especially after he was cautious and hesitant about everything in previous scenes. Dumbest characters. Some good bits but overall they shit the bed with the script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the big ego cock sucking adventure, when Ridley Scott did his press conference. When the whole room was sucking his cock and laughing at Alien vs Predator. Hahah what a hoot those films were! What a joke.

Pretty sure I’d rather watch AvP than these films. I mean you fucked up the Space Jockey you cunt. That is unforgivable.

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

10 hours ago, beer badger said:

I remember the big ego cock sucking adventure, when Ridley Scott did his press conference. When the whole room was sucking his cock and laughing at Alien vs Predator. Hahah what a hoot those films were! What a joke.

Pretty sure I’d rather watch AvP than these films. I mean you fucked up the Space Jockey you cunt. That is unforgivable.

?

Also even though the first one got hamstrung by a PG-13 rating and hack director Paul W.S. Anderson, AvP: Requiem (once you adjust your gamma settings so you can see literally anything) is actually a perfectly great C-grade splatterfest. 

3 hours ago, tec said:

I would rather watch the Anderson Resident Evil movies than any Alien film after the first two.

You say that, but I watched the beginning of Resident Evil 4(?) not long ago, and no no no no no no. You would much rather watch Alien 3 than that shit.

14 hours ago, Squee said:

You say that, but I watched the beginning of Resident Evil 4(?) not long ago, and no no no no no no. You would much rather watch Alien 3 than that shit.

Accept a world where Hicks dies? No way brother.

I had a realization the other day: Prometheus is a bad good movie, but a good bad movie. 

If I had gone in to it expecting it to be a shitty horror film from the get-go, I would have been over the moon. Shitty horror films almost require that characters make dumb decisions in the service of bad things happening to them, and things like "plot" tend to fall to the side in favor of whatever nasty thing happens next. Prometheus does a great (bad movie) job of setting up the dominoes to fuck everyone in the film, and then knock them over one by one in the final act. The med-pod scene alone would be amazeballs in any crap horror movie. The movie only turns bad once you start expecting it to be a good movie and you start questioning things like "motivation" and "logic." 

Alien Covenant, on the other hand is a bad bad movie but also a bad good movie. It's trying to be a bad horror movie while slyly introducing higher concept and utterly fails in both regards. Shoulda made Blomkamp's Aliens sequel instead. . . 

• 1 year later...