3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

....Tonally matches the first film, but feels out of place after Aliens.

Of course it's out of place after Aliens. It's on Fiorina, while Hadley's Hope is on LV-426, duuuuuh!

But seriously, I liked the setting of Alien 3. The movie is good, and it holds well in the Alien universe, imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

It's canon afaic

unfortunately Alien Resurrection is also canon. 

i'm actually okay with Prometheus and Covenant, but Resurrection is just silly. it would've been fine as a comic where all these sorta alternate/weirdo things work a bit better.

I adore Alien 3, Covenant, and Ridley generally. Anyone ragging on them will go on my company expendable list. The Blomcrap/GImpson stuff is dreck we were spared.

Edited by Roo
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, baph said:

Covenant was a bad call, Roo. It was a bad call. 

those bad takes are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...and they're gonna come in here...coz it'll be dark mode soon and they mostly come at night. Mostly...

*logs out and cuts power and cocoons self in hypersleep until a future when Covenant is well-liked*

Edited by Roo
  • Like 2

• Rubin Farr changed the title to ALIEN / PROMETHEUS / COVENANT - SPOILERS INBOUND!!

I have never really understood why Alien 3 is so disliked. Having said that tho, killing off Newt was a massive mistake imo. I think from a story point of view, having a young girl marooned on a prison planet with violent sexual predators would have been a clever twist. It would’ve seen Ripley, Newt and the Alien potentially on the same side (until they weren’t). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Plum said:

I have never really understood why Alien 3 is so disliked.

I love it, my favourites are in order Alien, Alien3, Aliens, Resurrection, Covenant, Prometheus. I also have over a half of a meter of Alien franchise comics, there's a huge amount of good stories there and a lot of them are more worth your while than some of the movies. There's also this three-hour documentary on the making of Aliens, Superior Firepower, which is rather awesome.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4

Honestly I only rate Alien and Aliens. Resurrection is a goofy black comedy that I do enjoy for reasons, but Alien 3, such a non starter. I fail to connect with anything in that movie, it's just a straight line down mediocre alley with flat characters, until it takes a very sharp nosedive towards the end. I kind of hate the done to death industrial plant settings in movies in general, so I guess that plays into it. The two new Ridley Scott abortions I refuse to recognize, they're some other stupid space opera entirely in my mind. Guy's gone senile.

Nobody asked, where am I? *Shakes fist at cloud*

Edited by Silent Member
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i thought i knew you, Hushed Genitalia. i thought we were friends. and yet here i am, again stabbed in the back with betrayal at the denouncement of the great piece of modern cinema Alien 3! for shame and sadness am i

image.thumb.png.600402a051ee0b24065188636c1329ed.png

2 hours ago, Plum said:

I have never really understood why Alien 3 is so disliked. Having said that tho, killing off Newt was a massive mistake imo. I think from a story point of view, having a young girl marooned on a prison planet with violent sexual predators would have been a clever twist. It would’ve seen Ripley, Newt and the Alien potentially on the same side (until they weren’t). 

yeah, having one or both of Newt & Hicks alive for some of the film but maybe dying or something, but still ending with Ripley's death, could've added a bit extra of a layer to the movie.

• Haha 1

I remember nothing positive about covenant other than kenny powers saying you're fuckin out when he killed the alien. actually i think i just imagined that last part.

lol sometimes I’m reading a thread and a post makes me laugh and I realize I wrote it.

Remember when noomi rapace gives birth to a freakish alien thing in Prometheus? that scene was really great

• 5 months later...

Oddly enough I had an weird Alien influenced dream last night. I was stood in darkness on a corner of a shelled out, apocalyptic strewn city corner, just like the original Escape From New York and there were plumes of green fog and beams of effervescent green light billowing and swooping around me. Then I heard the sound of helicopter rotor blades getting closer and closer until they were overhead and I could see the choppers lowering glass cages with something massive and thrashing about. Then a voice whispered in my ear the Xenomorphs are here….RUN!!!

Thankfully the running never happened because I thought the best thing all round to do was wake up and get the proper fuck out of there.

Edited by beerwolf

13 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

i hope they write the scientists better.. so they're not like the dumbest idiots ever to be in space. 

i suspect it'll pick up after the covenant movie? w/david heading off into space w/a colony of soon to be aliens...???

40 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i hope they write the scientists better.. so they're not like the dumbest idiots ever to be in space. 

i suspect it'll pick up after the covenant movie? w/david heading off into space w/a colony of soon to be aliens...???

from what I've read on other sites, it could be a reboot, tie-in to the HULU show, pick up after Alien 4, or pick up after Covenant, no one knows yet. But it will be on HULU, so I wouldn't count on a $200 million budget.

• Like 1

I hope it's not just a bunch of waffling about in the woods with an alien. 

I've never really been a die-hard fan of the series, but the second one by James Cameron will always be my favorite. The 1979 original felt more minimalist in comparison, although it's been ages since I've seen it. I just remember the Chest Burster scene, the rogue Synthetic, and the actual Xenomorph, which ended up getting vented out of an airlock by Ripley if I remember right.

I watched only parts of the third film, but was overall unengaged by it. Resurrection from '97 felt like it was straddling between an action and a comedy and wasn't sure what its end goal was aside from giving Ripley a second chance. Prometheus had impressive visuals but no recognizable plot to speak of. Covenant, I have not seen.

As for games, I wouldn't mind seeing another proper shooter under the Alien brand. Something along the lines of Alien Trilogy on PS1 but as a modern remake would be ideal. Never touched Colonial Marines due to the jank/cringe factor as a Gearbox title. But Alien: Isolation is one I still ought to try. I hear it has elements similar to System Shock and Prey 2017 but with survival emphasized over combat.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:40 PM, dr lopez said:

Remember when noomi rapace gives birth to a freakish alien thing in Prometheus? that scene was really great

Yeah...I remember. I had a mild crush on Rapace for a little while after the movie came out, but not because of that scene.

• Haha 1